White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2005, 10:54 AM
WSI Regular

Default Randar

Thank you for your stats on the top 4 prospects. Believe it or not I am very excited about this group of young Sox players. I can't believe the control that McCarthy has with his changeup. And Jenks is of course Jenks with his fastball and curve. I saw Anderson make two outstanding defensive plays in the Cleveland series and Anderson showed his power in the Seattle game at Safeco. And then there is young and Valido plus some pitching prospects. I think the Sox have to make room for Anderson because Young is obviously ready for AAA and they both play center field. Again I appreciate the info you have given me and I just wish McCarthy was pitching today instead of Contreras.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredrudy
In the US we believe that people have the right to express an opinion even though it might be a minority opinion or one that is just plain stupid.
I think you're missing the point. Two things to consider:
- This isn't "the US." It's an Internet site maintained by Daver and others. They have (and should have) full editorial control.
- It's not clear that you're expressing your opinion. It appears that you're expressing other people's opinions, including opinions from some non-credible sources. It's fair comment to point out that those sources are not credible and should be disregarded.

While BA confirmed my high opinion of Chris Young and undermined yours, I don't value BA's opinon very much. We often cite BA here, but only as a talking point to generate discussion re. particular players. I value other sources much more highly, including my own eyes.

FWIW, it's my understanding that minor league managers consider Young to be the best defensive OF in the SL and consider Valido to be the top player in many categories. Indeed, Valido is a top MVP candidate in his league. He actually improved as a hitter this year while moving up a level. I see no reason why he can't sustain his success next year, presumably at B'ham.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
he was using Young as an example of a kid who is younger than Young
Is that true? I thought that Young was older than Young, but I guess as it turns out, Young really is younger than Young. Of course, that also means, that Young is also older than Young.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:35 AM
WSI Regular

Default Maurice

I live in the Chicago area so I gather whatever information I can. I see some minor league games but not very many. I follow the White Sox boards closely. Obviously I am very interested in the opinions of those who watch these players in person. One of my sources is BA but not the only one. KW's comments are very revealing as he often says more than he should. The one player in the minor leagues that KW has talked about is Chris Young. Hawk also has mentioned his name. There is no doubt that Young is the Sox's number one position prospect who is not already with the big team. KW has commented on how hard Young hits the ball and also how fast he is. I saw Young in spring training games and he was very impressive. So the idea that I think Chris Young is not a good prospect is ridiculous. But so much for that. If you or Daver think that my comments are such that they should be banned then you can ban me I guess. Apparently I have been banned from Sox Talk as I cannot get on there anymore. Appaently I was banned for saying things like Young needs to cut down on his strikeouts or that there is a question about Valido's ability to hit at higher levels. I think it is a question of ego with you guys. Since apparently you guys watch these players on a regular basis you feel that people should look to you and you only for the scouting reports on these guys.I can't agree with that. So when BA says that the Barons were not even the second best team in the SL I do have to consider that
Old 10-05-2005, 01:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredrudy
Apparently I have been banned from Sox Talk