White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2005, 03:22 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeter
You could be right but there's really nothing to base this on. ... Young has but strikes out a lot.
Anderson (124 K/475 AB, including Chicago) struck out nearly as often as Young (129 K/466 AB), but didn't come close to his power numbers.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:23 PM
WSI Regular

Default Randar

Chris Young strikes out a lot. He seems as strikeout prone as Joe Borchard.And his arm is rated slightly below average. How do you respond to that
Old 10-03-2005, 03:30 PM
WSI Regular

Default tstrike 2000

A trade of Rowand and Crede for Blaylock might work but Blaylock has really slipped. The Yankees might want Rowand but they have no one to trade. Rowand for Griffey might work. Rowand for Overbay. That is a possibility. But really the best hitters are guys like Giles and Matsui who are free agents. Giles would be perfect but it probably would be a money problem. How about Rowand, Crede, and McCarthy for you know who.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:02 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredrudy
Chris Young strikes out a lot. He seems as strikeout prone as Joe Borchard.And his arm is rated slightly below average. How do you respond to that
Young's arm is now considered average. He strikes out some, that's true. (But as another poster noted about the same amount as Anderson.) Look at the overall picture. Here's a guy who hit 70 extra base hits playing in a gigantic ballpark, he walked 70 times to go with 129 SO, stole 32 bases while being caught 6 times. All this in a season where he skipped a level. And he's a Gold-Glove-caliber CF. I don't see anything not to be excited about. Worst case scenario, he's Reggie Sanders. Best case? Eric Davis.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Who gives a rat's ass about strikeouts if the guy takes walks too?

Do you know what their season month-by-month splits were? Do a little research and you might find something amazing... Good prospects adjust and get better as the season wears on. About half of Young's K's were in the first 2 months, and his K:BB ratio improved all season long...

Anderson was similar. Started out K'ing all over the place... adjusted, and made up for it with a strong stretch drive.

"How do you respond to that?"

Are you trying to be a jag? Sorry, I can't read tone of voice on a message board, but this is now the second message board you've behaved similarly on...
Old 10-03-2005, 05:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
A trade of Rowand and Crede for Blaylock might work but Blaylock has really slipped. The Yankees might want Rowand but they have no one to trade. Rowand for Griffey might work. Rowand for Overbay. That is a possibility. But really the best hitters are guys like Giles and Matsui who are free agents. Giles would be perfect but it probably would be a money problem. How about Rowand, Crede, and McCarthy for you know who.
??????

Seriously, *** are you talking about? "You know who"... sorry, no I don't, my mind-reading skills must be slipping...

"The best hitters are FA's?"

This is one of the worst FA years in a long time. Most of the good hitters are under contract.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Plus, Young went from low-A to AA in a single offseason. That's a HUGE leap, so it's no surprise that he struggled out of the gate. By the end of the year, Young was the best player on a very talented Barons roster and probably the best player in the entire Southern League.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:37 PM
WSI Regular

Default Randar

I am not a jag. I just want people to convince me that Young is the real thing. I saw him play in the spring and he looked real good to me. I follow the Sox system very closely but I only get to see players when the knights come to Indianapolis. So I go by stats in the main and comments made by BA. Young had incredible stats except for the average and the strikeouts. But I was puzzled when he was not named to the post season all star team. And very recently BA did not think he was the best prospect on his AFL team. That really surprised me. I thought he would be a leadpipe cinch to at least be the best prospect on his team.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:11 PM
WSI Regular

Default Maurice

I sincerely hope you are right about Chris Young. BA's assessment of the Southern League will come late tomorrow night. The Jacksonville Suns had an awful lot of very talented players and they will be highly rated by BA. I doubt that Chris Young will be rated in the top 5. I think he will be in the top 10. At least he will be the highest rated Barons player. I think Sweeney will be in the top 20 but near the bottom. Owens might make it but he certainly will be near the bottom.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I sincerely hope you are right about Chris Young. BA's assessment of the Southern League will come late tomorrow night. The Jacksonville Suns had an awful lot of very talented players and they will be highly rated by BA. I doubt that Chris Young will be rated in the top 5. I think he will be in the top 10. At least he will be the highest rated Barons player. I think Sweeney will be in the top 20 but near the bottom. Owens might make it but he certainly will be near the bottom.
Just read that Young is #4 in probably the most talent-laden league in all the minors. Sweeney, Owens, Fields, Tracey, Rogo... none made the list. Jenks is #13, and look what he's doing at the MLB level. What does that tell you about the Southern League this year?
Old 10-03-2005, 09:25 PM
WSI Regular

Default Maurice

Apparently there is good news about Chris Young. According to a post on another board Chris was rated the number 4 prospect in the talent laden Southern League. The only other Baron in the top 20 was Jenks at number 13. McCarthy and Anderson were numbers 8 and 9 respectively.in the IL Ryan Sweeney was left off the top 20 because he has shown little power thus far. He could develop power or more than likely he might turn out to be another Sean Burroughs. At this point we have only 3 or 4 good major leaguers in our system and 3 of them are already here-Jenks, Anderson, and McCarthy. Even though Young was offered to the Reds in the proposed Griffey deal, I would not trade him now in view of Sweeney's lack of progress.

Last edited by bigredrudy; 10-03-2005 at 09:28 PM. Reason: McCarthy and Anderson were BA's picks in IL rather than the SL
Old 10-03-2005, 09:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
And very recently BA did not think he was the best prospect on his AFL team. That really surprised me. I thought he would be a leadpipe cinch to at least be the best prospect on his team.
That list was not "best prospect"... it was "best pitcher, best position player, etc... some of the more experienced or AAA players are going to rate more highly right now.

For the record, here are Young's splits last I saw them...

as of Sept 2...

____ BB K HR AVG OBP SLG
April 8 31 4 .244 .310 .478
May 15 32 5 .271 .373 .533
June 17 19 8 .247 .369 .581
July* 5 13 1 .311 .382 .489
August 20 30 7
=========================================
Total 65 125 24 .274 .372 .543

* was injured will a pulled muscle in his side

After May, he was an entirely different hitter sans the pulled muscle that slowed him down and kept him out of action.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:32 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
At this point we have only 3 or 4 good major leaguers in our system and 3 of them are already here-Jenks, Anderson, and McCarthy. Even though Young was offered to the Reds in the proposed Griffey deal, I would not trade him now in view of Sweeney's lack of progress.
You have got to be kidding me.

Either spend the time to follow minor league baseball, or shut up on the subject.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:38 PM
WSI Regular

Default Randar

I am interested in who were numbers 1,2, and 3. I assume that Delmon Young was number 1 as he was BA's minor league player of the year. But I am wondering about 2 and 3. At this point in time would trade Young for a bat? I don't think I would as Sweeny who once was considered a sure thing has kind of dropped back. By the way it was good to see that McCarthy was ratednumber 8 and Anderson number 9 in the IL
Old 10-03-2005, 09:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I am interested in who were numbers 1,2, and 3. I assume that Delmon Young was number 1 as he was BA's minor league player of the year. But I am wondering about 2 and 3. At this point in time would trade Young for a bat? I don't think I would as Sweeny who once was considered a sure thing has kind of dropped back. By the way it was good to see that McCarthy was ratednumber 8 and Anderson number 9 in the IL
Would I trade Chris Young? Only if I was getting a talent on the order of Manny, Griffey(healthy), Texiera, etc...

Why would you trade him this offseason? I don't get it. You seem fixated on this on multiple boards. Can you imagine the Sox developing a Soriano-type of hitter with the ability to take 50-100 BB's per year?

You're talking a talent that rarely comes around. I'm through discussing this with you because really, unless you've seen Chris Young play, you just cannot appreciate his physical talents on a baseball diamond. When he hits the ball in a game or batting practice, everyone in the stadium could tell you who it was who hit it without even seeing it... distinct explosive sound only a few players in baseball are capable of.