White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2005, 01:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default BA starts naming top 20 prospects in each league

So far the Sox have a couple of representitives.

Appy League - Rookie Ball
#9 Aaron Cunningham - OF

Comments from the chat:

Q: Richard Smiley from Chicago, IL asks:
Matt -- Thanks for the excellent write-up and for doing the chat. Did Bristol's Chris Carter come close to making the list and what is your evaluation of him?
A:Matt Eddy: I had Carter ranked in the 30-35 range because he had trouble in his debut with defense at third. He’s just 18, though, and one manager I spoke with really liked his swing and thought his power was projectible. He even liked him a bit more than Cunningham. In the end, Carter’s going to have a tougher road to the bigs if he’s moved from third to first base.

Q: Jaime from Chicago, IL asks:
Did Sox lefty reliever Alex Woodson (Bristol) receive any consideration for the top 20?
A:Matt Eddy: He didn't, but teammate Logan Williamson did. His ERA was unsightly, but he posted a strong K rate as a starter, and one pitching coach really like his arm action. Also, seventh-rounder Daniel Cortes made strides during the season -- even if the overall numbers don’t reflect it. Just 18, Cortes is a sinker-slider guy who’s developing his change.

Q: Tom from Seattle asks:
Which is the real Aaron Cunningham: The guy who hit .315 with a .838 OPS in Bristol, or the guy who hit .115 and .322 OPS in two weeks at Kannapolis? What can we expect from him?
A: Matt Eddy: I think Cunningham will hit, though not everyone I spoke with shares that opinion. It’s important to note that his OBP with Bristol was buoyed by a league-leading 14 HBPs. The best-case scenario for Cunningham is as a right fielder with average tools across the board.

Pioneer League - Rookie Ball
#5 Francisco Hernandez - C
#19 Brandon Allen - 1B

Chat is later on today...

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 09-21-2005, 12:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
.115 and .322 OPS in two weeks at Kannapolis
This is meaningless. Cunningham was a very late addition to a playoff team that won the championship. As such, he didn't start regularly and only got 26 ABs. He was promoted so the organization could take a quick look at him before the playoffs started. Then, they went with older players like Clint King.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Comments from the Pioneer League chat:

Q: Bob Fett from BMB asks:
Brandon Allen started out the year on a good note thru the first 37 games he hit .282, 9 doubles and 8 home runs but then seemed to hit a wall finishing only hitting .264 with 11 doubles and 11 home runs. Which Mr. Allen can we look forward to seeing next year? Thanks!

A:Alan Matthews: Smart money says more of the same, actually. Allen is very raw. He was a two-sport star in high school and never dedicated time exclusively to baseball. That's part of why he made the cut this year. His upside is appealing, but he will require at least another 800-1,200 minor league at-bats before the White Sox will really know what they have.

Q:Sammy from Glendale Heights asks:
How much progress do you think Francisco Hernandez made this year for Great Falls. What's his upside potential?

A:Alan Matthews: It was refreshing to see Hernandez gain some confidence after a rough start in low Class A this season. He came back to the PL where he showed better poise and learned not to press so much. He's going to have to improve his plate discipline as advanced pitchers are going to set him up easily if he continues to swing at pitches out of the zone with regularity. He has nice upside, and good tools behind the plate.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:28 AM
Banned

Glad see my personal favorite draft pick Chris Carter was mentioned by the writer as 30-35 guy. From the second I saw his name in the draft I was intrigued. Also, partly due to the fact he was our first 3 bagger taken. His high school coach had mentioned that the kid is a superstar in the making. Lets just hope he's right.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

BA did the Sally league today and the only Sox prospect that got mentioned was Gio at #12.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

BA did the Carolina League today, and 4 Sox farmhands made the list.

5. Gio
9. Broadway
11. Valido
13. Liotta
Old 09-29-2005, 11:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Here are the snippets:
Quote:
5.GIO GONZALEZ, lhp, Winston-Salem Warthogs (White Sox)Age: 19 Ht: 5-11 Wt: 180 B-T: L-L Drafted/Signed: White Sox '04 (1)

One of the youngest players in the CL, Gonzalez also was its best lefthanded pitching prospect. Few southpaws anywhere can match his combination of a low-90s fastball, hammer curveball and a much-improved changeup. Gonzalez' out pitch in the past was his curveball, but he has gained more confidence in his changeup and now throws both pitches in any count. He works quickly with clean mechanics and features an exaggerated leg kick in his delivery.

There have been durability concerns in Gonzalez's past, and those resurfaced again this year as he missed time with back and shoulder strains. He also sat out Winston-Salem's one-game playoff against Salem with shoulder discomfort.

Quote:
9.LANCE BROADWAY, rhp, Winston-Salem Warthogs (White Sox)Age: 22 Ht: 6-4 Wt: 195 B-T: R-R Drafted/Signed: White Sox '05 (1)

Broadway finished the college season with a rush, and his draft stock didn't stop rising until the White Sox took him with the 15th overall selection. He was somewhat worn down after pitching 117 innings at Texas Christian, so Chicago monitored him closely and spread out his starts, giving him as many as nine days' rest. He wasn't quite the same pitcher who excelled in the spring. Though he showed good stuff, he lacked command at times, particularly with his fastball. He doesn't have an overpowering fastball, pitching at 88-91 mph, but he has excellent control of his plus-plus curveball. All three Warthogs pitchers on this list have above-average curves, but Broadway's has more velocity and a sharper break than those of Gonzalez and Ray Liotta.

Broadway could add a little more velocity if he can add more weight to his 6-foot-4, 195-pound frame. His changeup is still developing and is average at best.

Quote:
11.ROBERT VALIDO, ss, Winston-Salem Warthogs (White Sox)Age: 20 Ht: 6-2 Wt: 180 B-T: R-R Drafted/Signed: White Sox '03 (4)

Several managers referred to Valido as a deserving MVP candidate, though the award went to Daigle, his teammate. "You have guys like Markakis in this league," Rivera said, "but if I could pick a guy I wanted to be at the plate with the game on the line or who the ball was going to be hit to with the game on the line, it's Valido." Known more for his glove than his bat, Valido did all the little things the right way--with the exception of being suspended for 15 games in May after testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs.

He was the best defender in the league, with outstanding range, soft hands and a plus arm. He makes consistent hard contact with a short, compact swing and hits to all fields with occasional gap power. He's an excellent bunter and did a better job of utilizing his speed than in years past, leading the league in steals and triples.
Quote:
13.RAY LIOTTA, lhp, Winston-Salem Warthogs (White Sox)Age: 22 Ht: 6-3 Wt: 220 B-T: L-L Drafted/Signed: White Sox '04 (2)

Liotta has won two ERA titles in two years as a pro, topping the Rookie-level Pioneer League at 2.54 last year and the low Class A South Atlantic League at 2.26 in 2005. His 1.45 ERA in eight CL starts was the lowest in a prospect-laden Winston-Salem rotation that also included Gonzalez, Broadway, Daniel Haigwood and Charles Haeger. As with Gonzalez and Broadway, Liotta's best pitch is his curveball. It's a true 12-to-6 breaker with tight, downward rotation. He also has a low-90s fastball and showed improvement with his changeup, though it's still a work in progress. He's a prototypical ground ball lefty who earns comparisons to Sean Burnett, though Liotta is bigger and stronger and has a higher ceiling.

While he gets good extension, Liotta's delivery is long and not very fluid. Some scouts also questioned his conditioning and stamina. His fastball tends to flatten out, particularly as he gets deeper into games.

"The more I see him, the more I like his upside," a National League scout said. "His curveball isn't as good as Broadway's and his stuff isn't quite Gio-like, but he's one of the best lefthanders in this league."
Old 09-29-2005, 11:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Wow, 4 of the top 13. In other words, almost a third of the top 13 prospects in the 8-team Carolina league are property of the Sox.

B'ham should rate very highly as well.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:13 PM
WSI Personality

Nice things said in chat about Valido as well. If I'm not mistaken, he's playing in the Fall League, that'll be a nice test before AA.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:05 PM
New At WSI

Belive it or not im a big Gio Gonzalez fan. But i think Ryan Rodriguez should have cracked the top 20. He is a excellent pitcher. He is under everyones radar hes gonna turn a few heads. Even thoguh he was out for a whole year, He should reach triple a by mid next year. Hes gonna be one to watch.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:40 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio is my hero
Belive it or not im a big Gio Gonzalez fan.
I don't think any of us would have ever guessed.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know
Old 09-30-2005, 12:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio is my hero
Ryan Rodriguez should have cracked the top 20.
The slow start killed him. Nice showing in the 2nd half, though.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Who made it from Birmingham? Young and Jenks? I gather from the BA chat that Owens, Rogo, Sweeney, Fields, Tracey, and Haigwood didn't.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica
Who made it from Birmingham? Young and Jenks? I gather from the BA chat that Owens, Rogo, Sweeney, Fields, Tracey, and Haigwood didn't.
Yeah, but Chris Young was ranked fourth overall, behind only Delmon Young, Jeremy Hermida, and Jeff Francoeur. Not bad, eh?
Old 10-06-2005, 11:42 PM
WSI Personality

Bmac and Brian Anderson were ranked 8 and 9 respectively in a very solid class of IL prospects.