White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2005, 03:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Major changes in store for minors?

Baseball America has an article talking about some possible major changes to the minor league system. Changes being talked about are moving the draft to the end of June and getting rid of the Arizona and Gulf Coast leagues (which do suck). There is also talk about making the Appy league a co-op league. So in the end what would happen is every team would lose a rookie affiliate (either Bristol or Great Falls for the Sox). BA came out with another article about two weeks ago saying that the owners have postponed the vote. Maurice and Randar what are your thoughts on this?
Old 09-08-2005, 07:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Hmmmm. I don't like that idea. Contraction means there will be less spots open for players, and you never know when the next obscure player will sparkle in Rookie Ball. Baseball needs to keep the player pipeline wide open.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 09-09-2005, 09:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Well, I have a thought/opinion/question.

In the long run, how many Rookie level players turn out to be prospects, let along MLB players?

And if this is going to save the Sox some money because they have one less low level affialiate, less players to play, less people to run the team, less property taxes, etc, etc, etc. And then in turn use the money for the MLB club, then I am all for it.

But I don't know how much money they will save by doing this, so that might be a pipedream.

Go Sox....OH YEAH!
Old 09-09-2005, 09:48 AM
Banned

NY Penn League should be OK as they not going to mess with a league that has franchised in Brooklyn and Staten Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clembasbal

In the long run, how many Rookie level players turn out to be prospects, let along MLB players?

And if this is going to save the Sox some money because they have one less low level affialiate, less players to play, less people to run the team, less property taxes, etc, etc, etc. And then in turn use the money for the MLB club, then I am all for it.

But I don't know how much money they will save by doing this, so that might be a pipedream.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

The majority of High School draftees and latin players spend some time in the Rookie Leagues. Plenty of prospects and MLB players have been through there (of current/recent Sox players: Joe Crede, Jon Garland, Carlos Lee, Magglio Ordonez, Juan Uribe, A.J. Pierzynski, Jermaine Dye, Scott Podsednik).

As for the money issue - freeing up more money to use on the ML club is a 'believe it when I see it' proposition to me.
Cursing tomorrow with sorrow

Gogol Bordello - "Ultimate"
Old 09-09-2005, 10:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Many players who have played in the Rookie leagues succeed. It is the primary starting point for almost every HS or JC draftee outside of the first round or so in addition to a starting point for almost every young Latino player. It is a crucial level of competition and development. That being said, I wouldn't be too upset if they only had 1 rookie-level team.

Those clubs are run locally. They split salaries with the MLB team and operate as their own entity with the players they are given by the major league club. The MLB team does not own those franchises.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:31 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Many players who have played in the Rookie leagues succeed. It is the primary starting point for almost every HS or JC draftee outside of the first round or so in addition to a starting point for almost every young Latino player. It is a crucial level of competition and development. That being said, I wouldn't be too upset if they only had 1 rookie-level team.

Those clubs are run locally. They split salaries with the MLB team and operate as their own entity with the players they are given by the major league club. The MLB team does not own those franchises.
The MLB clubs pay all of a minor league player's salary. It is not split. The MLB clubs also pay a percentage of the cost of bats and balls as well as their meal money.

The rest is all correct.

My guess is that teams will rely on signing players out of independent leagues and that amateur scouting will become more important.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Hudler
My guess is that teams will rely on signing players out of independent leagues and that amateur scouting will become more important.
Independent leagues like the Northern League have been increasing as the major leagues try to cut costs. Whether they are profitable is a different story. Apparently the money is made from selling players to the majors. The Golden State League in California and Arizona (I wonder what its like to see the Yuma Scorpions play in August when the thunderstorms and humidity roll in), with a permanent road team from Japan, recently finished its first season under single ownership in what was touted as a future model for minor league baseball. The St. Paul Saints will be leaving the Northern League to become part of a new independent league next season, but I haven't read anything about that league.

The proliferation of independent leagues will be humbling for a lot of players. More will have to prove themselves professionally before getting decent signing bonuses, and more will have to work through even more dues to get to the majors. I read about a guy this summer who was traded from San Diego in the Golden State League to Winnepeg in the Northern League.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:41 PM
WSI Regular

Post I hate the idea!!!

I root for all of the White Sox minor league affiliates, including Bristol and Great Falls, as I have their web sites listed among my favorites. Co-Ops for the Appalacian and Pioneer Leagues??? Hell no!!!
Old 10-30-2005, 11:56 AM
WSI Regular

Of note, the BA articles are both from August. I'm not sure what's transpired in recent weeks, but in early October a NY-Penn League GM said he didn't expect any changes until 2007; we should see status quo next season.