White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2005, 07:20 PM
WSI Personality

Default Future starting rotation looks awesome

The Sox have an abundance of pitching prospects. from what I have read online and by looking at their stats, the Sox look like they will have a killer rotation in a few years. but we can't keep all these guys to play at the big leagues.
Also, I am hearing that because of this abundance, they would be unlikely to re-sign most of their best pitchers in their current rotation, but I can't imagine Mark Buehrle in another uniform, but given Uncle Jerry's cheapness, is this a possibility?
Old 09-05-2005, 07:26 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986
The Sox have an abundance of pitching prospects. from what I have read online and by looking at their stats, the Sox look like they will have a killer rotation in a few years. but we can't keep all these guys to play at the big leagues.
Also, I am hearing that because of this abundance, they would be unlikely to re-sign most of their best pitchers in their current rotation, but I can't imagine Mark Buehrle in another uniform, but given Uncle Jerry's cheapness, is this a possibility?
Mark is under contract for two more years, with I beleive an optional third.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:29 PM
WSI Personality

I know Mark is under contract for another few years but I am questioning after that.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I can see Liotta or Gonzalez being traded next year as part of a blockbuster deal...to get good ones, you need to give good ones away I suppose...
Old 09-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Banned

i think we will have a killer TEAM in the future if our guys develop right which i'm sure they will
Old 09-05-2005, 08:19 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White Sox
I can see Liotta or Gonzalez being traded next year as part of a blockbuster deal...to get good ones, you need to give good ones away I suppose...
Do you have anything to back that up at all, or is that just a gut feeling?

I remember the rage that existed on this board for monthes after Jeremy "Cooperstown" Reed was dealt.

I know what I'm ****ing doing now.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck
Old 09-05-2005, 10:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

I trust Kenny to do the right thing. Just because a guy is pitching lights out in the minors in no way guarantees success in the bigs. Pitchers that have had a lot of success in the bigs are like gold. So the notion that Buerhle, Garland, Freddy etc. could or should be moved because some minor leaguer could replace them is VERY risky. I see a 2007 rotation like this: MB, Garland , Garcia, McCarthy, - Contreras or Tracy or Haigwood or free agent.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23
I remember the rage that existed on this board for monthes after Jeremy "Cooperstown" Reed was dealt.
Wasn't that just amazing? I mean - it is still possible that Jeremy Reed will be a very good OF some day. But the people who were saying they were 100% convinced that Reed was due for immediate stardom were just over the top.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White Sox
If there is a deal out there to get a stud bat who is priced right, I wouldn't rule it out. We won't give them up for Alomar or Everett or something like that - but if there is a top tier deal there, who knows?

If Griffey Jr. was available, we might have traded one of them already. But he wasn't. The fact is that there was no top tier offensive talent or top tier closer traded this year at either trade deadline. KW can't be blamed for missing out on acquiring guys who were not available.

I trust KW.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch
If there is a deal out there to get a stud bat who is priced right, I wouldn't rule it out. We won't give them up for Alomar or Everett or something like that - but if there is a top tier deal there, who knows?

If Griffey Jr. was available, we might have traded one of them already. But he wasn't. The fact is that there was no top tier offensive talent or top tier closer traded this year at either trade deadline. KW can't be blamed for missing out on acquiring guys who were not available.

I trust KW.
Gio's trade status will only go up as he continues to succeed in the minors, especially considering he's a LHP throwing 90+ and he's 19. To answer your question doublem, it's a completely gut feeling, but those are the guys that will be in high demand during the trade season next year, so I could easily see either of those guys leaving.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Unfortunately guys, stats in the minor leagues are just that, stats in the MINOR leagues. Yes it's true we have quite a few impressive arms fairing well in Adv-A and AA ball. But in reality, some of these guys will get injured or be AAAA pitchers that just can't hack it in the bigs. In 2000 I was excited about a future rotation of Sirotka, Parque, and some combination of Buehrle, Garland, Rauch, Wright, Fogg, Wells, Ginter, or Biddle. You see how some of these guys could just never cut it in the majors or got injured and never pitch again.

Trading some of them for established major league arms is not a bad idea...
Old 09-06-2005, 01:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
In 2000 I was excited about a future rotation of Sirotka, Parque, and some combination of Buehrle, Garland, Rauch, Wright, Fogg, Wells, Ginter, or Biddle. You see how some of these guys could just never cut it in the majors or got injured and never pitch again.
Really, out of that group, it was remarkable that the Sox were able to get 2 front-line starters to develop out of it, as it is rare to even have that success rate. Wells is a mediocre major-leaguer, but both Buehrle and Garland would be a top 2 or 3 pitcher on any team in the majors...
Old 09-06-2005, 01:55 PM
MMXXIII

Furthermore, I'd like to point out that, oh, around 2000 I think everyone assumed the Sox's next rotation of glory would be Kip Wells, Jon Garland, Jon Rauch, Josh Fogg, and maybe Corwin Malone (maybe too early for him). In any case, Rauch was considered a can't-miss, future Cy Young Award winner.

I like the things I've seen out of McCarthy and everything I've read about Gonzalez, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. If the Sox presently have 1-2 MLB future starters in their minor league system right now, I'be be ecstatic.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Really, out of that group, it was remarkable that the Sox were able to get 2 front-line starters to develop out of it, as it is rare to even have that success rate. Wells is a mediocre major-leaguer, but both Buehrle and Garland would be a top 2 or 3 pitcher on any team in the majors...
Exactly. As fun as it is to think that most of our top pitching prospects are going to become future major leaguers, it just isn't realistic. There's a lot to the phrase "sell high" when it comes to prospects.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23
Furthermore, I'd like to point out that, oh, around 2000 I think everyone assumed the Sox's next rotation of glory would be Kip Wells, Jon Garland, Jon Rauch, Josh Fogg, and maybe Corwin Malone (maybe too early for him). In any case, Rauch was considered a can't-miss, future Cy Young Award winner.
Yup. I was also convinced that Lorenzo Barcelo was our stud, flame-throwing closer of the future.