Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Banned

Default Official Rule on Arod play, Ump Botch!

Here is the official rule from MLB.com regarding Arod being hit by JD's throw into 1st when attempting to double up the runner (Shef).

(f) Any batter or runner who has just been put out hinders or impedes any following play being made on a runner. Such runner shall be declared out for the interference of his teammate; If the batter or a runner continues to advance after he has been put out, he shall not by that act alone be considered as confusing, hindering or impeding the fielders.

There it is folks there should be no fine line, no gray area. I dont see what the problem is with Wendelsted and his crew getting the rules blatently WRONG multiple times against us. Those umps should be penealized.

Last edited by GiveMeSox; 08-08-2005 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:42 PM
WSI High Priest

i missed it- what exactly happened?
Old 08-08-2005, 08:53 PM
sthbndsox

I hate this umpiring crew.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:58 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeSox
...no fine line, no gray area...
EXACTLY!!!

It really doesn't matter that A-Clod was standing totally still in the basepath to interfere with the play. There are those who still argue that he was "getting out of the way."

He could have been doing the merengue out there - THE RUNNER IS STILL OUT!

Nobody stops and asks whether a runner between first and second hit by a batted ball "tried to get out of the way."

No gray area - they're OUT.

Wendelstedt makes me ill. He doesn't know the rules so he shouldn't be there. No gray area there either.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

It didn't end up costing us anything, but the stupidity of this crew is amazing. Common sense is to know how to do your job. If not, hell, I'll take the salary of an MLB umpire and be just as effective as anyone on this crew. ANYONE.

Ozzie manages, you watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarWestChicago View Post
Yeah, they won is spite of Greg Walker, Ozzie, KW, JR and everybody else associated with that team. It's either a friggin' miracle or they knew more about what they were doing than posters here. I guess I have to go with "friggin' miracle" since the posters here obviously make any professional baseball person look like a moron.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:02 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSSoxFan
It didn't end up costing us anything, but the stupidity of this crew is amazing.
Just because it didn't cost us anything, that doesn't take these umps off the hook. The play was RIGHT IN FRONT of Wendlestedt. He was literally 15' from the play, and he botched it. That's unacceptable.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Yep! Heck, I don't know the in's and out's of the rules like an ump should... and I knew that.

It just makes logical sense. And if you don't know the rules, you gotta go with common sense.

If you're out, you're expected to be in the dugout immediately. If you touch the ball, its no different than someone touching the ball that is sitting in the dugout.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:05 PM
WSI High Priest

I am sorry, you will have to clarify. I turned off the game when I saw the umpiring crew for this series. I'll turn it back on in Boston.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26
Just because it didn't cost us anything, that doesn't take these umps off the hook. The play was RIGHT IN FRONT of Wendlestedt. He was literally 15' from the play, and he botched it. That's unacceptable.
Wendlestedt knew exactly what he was doing. This crew is determined to screw the Sox any chance they get.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

The umps blowing a call that should have been made that ends up helping the team playing the Sox? Shocking!
Old 08-08-2005, 09:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26
I agree -- Wendlestedt should be reprimanded and fined. Hawk and DJ weren't exactly on top of things, either, because they seemed to think A-Rod's intent mattered.

That being said, it was a brilliant play by Rodriguez. He could see Sheffield wasn't going to get back in time, so there wasn't much to lose in trying to deflect the throw. They can only call him out once.

VC
Old 08-08-2005, 09:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeSox
Here is the official rule from MLB.com regarding Arod being hit by JD's throw into 1st when attempting to double up the runner (Shef).

(f) Any batter or runner who has just been put out hinders or impedes any following play being made on a runner. Such runner shall be declared out for the interference of his teammate; If the batter or a runner continues to advance after he has been put out, he shall not by that act alone be considered as confusing, hindering or impeding the fielders.

There it is folks there should be no fine line, no gray area. I dont see what the problem is with Wendelsted and his crew getting the rules blatently WRONG multiple times against us. Those umps should be penealized.
Actually, there is a gray area. It's basically no-harm-no-foul. If the umpire judges that the play could not have been made, there's no interference. They all know the rule, so that's the only possible interpretation. Unless you think that the entire crew has it in for the Sox to the extent they'd sacrifice their jobs by deliberately blowing an obvious call.

19 seasons, 9232 AB, 216 SO
Old 08-08-2005, 09:17 PM
Banned

A-rod hit a long fly ball to the wall in RF with Sheffield on first base. Jermaine leaped up and caught it, and was going to double Sheffield off of first base. A-rod turned the corner at first, and was watching Dye's throw coming in to PK, and at the last second he turned his head and let the ball hit him in the leg, helping Sheffield get back to first safe. If A-rod doesn't interfere with the ball, Sheffield would have been out, probably.

****ing blind bat or idiot Wendelstadt saw the whole play in front of him and didn't call it. Riggoddamndiculous.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Is there anyway to see what our record is with this crew?

Sorry if I sound like sour grapes, but every stat I have seen has us well over .500. I would bet the ranch that we are well below .500 with this crew...

As long as these guys are umpiring I will not watch a game.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:27 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' No. 2
Actually, there is a gray area. It's basically no-harm-no-foul. If the umpire judges that the play could not have been made, there's no interference. They all know the rule, so that's the only possible interpretation. Unless you think that the entire crew has it in for the Sox to the extent they'd sacrifice their jobs by deliberately blowing an obvious call.
You're certainly correct that they would have had to have determined the play makeable. I don't know how that could have ever been in question, really. The throw was obviously going to be Sheff back to the bag.

The thing that ticks me off, and I was listening to the Yanks broadcasters, was that they were trying to say ARod was trying to get out of the way. BS. He stood in the basepath and WATCHED Dye make the throw, waited a moment, then turned around like he was walking back to the dugout while SOMEHOW knowing exactly when and where to act as if he were avoiding the ball. How can you try to avoid a ball that you didn't know was coming your way? What a cheap ploy.

I don't know how he gets the benefit of the doubt after that crap he pulled last season in the ALCS, trying to knock the ball out of Meintxklfj;alkfiicz glove at 1B. He's been exposed.