White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2005, 06:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Sox After Mackowiak

This has been reported all day on the SCORE but I haven't seen it posted here yet. Take it FWIW.

I'd like to see Mackowiak on the Sox, but at this point, if we can only add one player, my preference is Omar Vizquel--without giving up Uribe.

Omar would play SS and take Willie's spot on the roster.Uribe would be a super sub, starting once a week at SS, 2B and 3B.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:32 PM
WSI Regular

I've been hoping he'd come here since the offseason...

Left handed bat, can play 2nd, 3rd and OF, will steal a base every now and then, has six so far this year...

Plus he's from Oak Lawn, so it'd be a homecoming, whatever happens, I hope it happens soon!!!
Old 07-30-2005, 06:36 PM
Banned

Getting Mackowiak would be like going to prom with your sister. It'd be fun but we wouldn't have a chance to score the big prize.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeviBall!
Getting Mackowiak would be like going to prom with your sister. It'd be fun but we wouldn't have a chance to score the big prize.
Why would it be fun to go to the prom with your sister?

Mackowiak is the perfect guy to have on the bench. He's a lefty with pop (meaning no more Timo) that can come in to pinch hit, or he can fill in if you need someone in a pinch. If for any reason Crede's back flared up or we needed another OF since Everett would be DH'ing, this is the guy.

He would be a great fit on this team, although I do see your point when he mean that it would not be enough. However, even marginal improvements are still improvements.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optipessimism
Why would it be fun to go to the prom with your sister?
You know, if she was a real cut up or something!
Old 07-30-2005, 06:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeviBall!
You know, if she was a real cut up or something!
LOL
Old 07-30-2005, 07:26 PM
New At WSI

Default The guy's sister

If we don't get Mackoviak, then let's get that guy's sister and take her to the prom. We'll make her the big prize, since, as heterosexual men, we would not have been able to make Mackoviak the top prize, anyway.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:38 PM
WSI Prelate

He plays a position we need to shore up (utility middle infield) (also relief and hitter, imo). Giants shouldn't trade Vizquel. Bonds back next year makes them instant contenders and they have a chance this year, still.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:47 PM
WSI Regular

Default Machowiak

I think getting Machowiak would be a very good insurance player if Crede's back flares up or to give a regular a day off. But I think if we add him to our team then I don't think that KW will add any "Top Prize" type of player. He might add one pitcher to add some bullpen help to eat innings to keep Politte fresh come playoff time and to take innings away from Viz.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

I see Mackowiak as the kind of guy we'd get through a waiver trade. I dunno why. I just don't see the guy moving by the deadline.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowand33
I see Mackowiak as the kind of guy we'd get through a waiver trade. I dunno why. I just don't see the guy moving by the deadline.
No chance he gets put on waivers. He would be claimed right off the bat.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:46 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optipessimism
No chance he gets put on waivers. He would be claimed right off the bat.
Huh? Is he Babe Ruth or something? There is very little chance he would be claimed. I don't see a big market for Mackowiak. He's a bench player. He's not the sort that's going to change the balance of power in the league. Fringe players like him clear waivers easily.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98
Huh? Is he Babe Ruth or something? There is very little chance he would be claimed. I don't see a big market for Mackowiak. He's a bench player. He's not the sort that's going to change the balance of power in the league. Fringe players like him clear waivers easily.
Mackowiak isn't exactly a fringe player. He's a valuable utility man who has shown a good ability for getting on base and has some power. He also only makes 1.5 million dollars which makes him attractive for teams looking for bench production. He is also only 29 years old. He doesn't change the balance of power in the league but he is valuable for just about any team.

The guys who clear waivers are pretty much either of two types. Completely worthless players who can't cut it in the majors anymore or guys who cost so much that it is almost impossible to work out a trade or pick up his contract.

Also if the sox want Mackowiak, they won't get him through waivers. The sox have the best record in baseball and as I understand it the white sox would be the last team with an opprotunity to pick him up. He would surely be gone by the time he gets to Kenny.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98
I don't know what your point is because you don't have to be a big name player to go through waivers, and you don't have to be a big name player to draw lots of interest from teams. In fact, the better you are and cheaper you are the more interest you draw.

Players like him do not clear, and usually don't even see waivers. He's cheap, he's versatile, he's good, he's LH, has some power, and can play 1B, 3B, LF, RF. He's only a bench player on a contending team, not anywhere else, and even then he would still get his share of playing time. Give me the name of one contending team that wouldn't consider that.

Players like this are the ones that get claimed because they only strengthen a contending team. The team that would be taking on his contract wouldn't have to pay much for him and wouldn't have to give up much for him either. It's the players that have huge contracts or who are trying to come back from injury or something that don't get claimed.

If Mackowiak is dealt, I would expect it to be soon otherwise it doesn't happen.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banix12
Mackowiak isn't exactly a fringe player. He's a valuable utility man who has shown a good ability for getting on base and has some power. He also only makes 1.5 million dollars which makes him attractive for teams looking for bench production. He is also only 29 years old. He doesn't change the balance of power in the league but he is valuable for just about any team.

The guys who clear waivers are pretty much either of two types. Completely worthless players who can't cut it in the majors anymore or guys who cost so much that it is almost impossible to work out a trade or pick up his contract.

Also if the sox want Mackowiak, they won't get him through waivers. The sox have the best record in baseball and as I understand it the white sox would be the last team with an opprotunity to pick him up. He would surely be gone by the time he gets to Kenny.
Wow. My computer froze so I posted this after you but I actually didn't need to. You hit the nail on the head.