Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2005, 12:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default Iguchi's BA slide - Scouts catching on?

Tadahito's average has been on a steady decline over the last month or so. Nobody expected him to hit .330, but do you think the league is catching up to him some? The scouting in MLB is just unbelievable, and if you have a weakness they WILL find it. Bottom line, I'm still thrilled with his ability to help the team. He's still giving outs away while hitting the ball to the right with a man on and his defense is superb. Maybe he will simply settle in as a .280 hitter and he's back to his level? If so, that's still very good production overall.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:01 AM
WSI High Priest

He has looked pretty bad up at the plate lately. His glove is always there though. On this team, we need his bat. We can't have him and Uribe and Crede, JUST for D. Someone has to produce .300 or so at the plate.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake Chet Lemon
Tadahito's average has been on a steady decline over the last month or so. Nobody expected him to hit .330, but do you think the league is catching up to him some? The scouting in MLB is just unbelievable, and if you have a weakness they WILL find it. Bottom line, I'm still thrilled with his ability to help the team. He's still giving outs away while hitting the ball to the right with a man on and his defense is superb. Maybe he will simply settle in as a .280 hitter and he's back to his level? If so, that's still very good production overall.
I dont think its the league catching on to him as much as it is Tadahito is finally suffering from never seeing any of these pitchers...

The fact that he was hitting .330 at one point is pretty amazing, but I think Tadahito is doing great in that #2 hole, and Ill take the Pods, Gooch 1,2 punch against most 1,2 hitters in the game

Next year, I bet Iguchi has a monster season...He's a lot better than most of us, me included, originally thought
Old 07-04-2005, 01:05 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake Chet Lemon
He was a career .270 hitter over in Japan, so that's about what I expect. He's definitely struggling right now. Is the league catching up with him? Sure. The league catches up with every rookie, and then that player needs to adjust back. I think Tadahito is capable of doing that.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke
He has looked pretty bad up at the plate lately. His glove is always there though. On this team, we need his bat. We can't have him and Uribe and Crede, JUST for D. Someone has to produce .300 or so at the plate.
The right side of the infield has been pretty weak at the plate as of late. Hopefully they both pick it up at home this week. We need more consitency from the right side, as the offense from our left side is always very inconsistent.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke
We can't have him and Uribe and Crede, JUST for D. Someone has to produce .300 or so at the plate.
That's a really good point. And if the Sox were to acquire a .300 hitter, it'd be ideal for him to fill in one of those defensive-only positions. Joe Randa is hitting a shade under .300, and his career average is .287.

Randa pluses:

1) The Sox will receive an upgrade in offense over their current third baseman: clutch hitting, quality at bats, situational hitting.

2) He's very affordable both in salary and in cost to acquire. His contract expires after this season, so the Sox won't be saddled with an expensive, long-term contract after he's traded for.

3) Team Chemistry will improve, though not so much for Randa's personality, but as a result of addition by subtraction of the Sox's current, antisocial, introverted, mumbling third baseman.

Randa minuses:
none
Old 07-04-2005, 02:28 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota

Randa minuses:
none
We'd have to lose a prospect to acquire garbage. I'm not for getting sentimental about prospects, and I won't care if the Sox trade McCarthy, Anderson, Sweeney, Honel, Fields, Jenks, Bajenaru, etc. all this year, but not for Joe Randa. Anyone we give up for a minor (and I mean minor) upgrade in Joe Randa is one player less we can use to make a major acquisition, and considering the payroll constraints Kenny generally finds himself in, you probably have to be willling to part with more personnel to avoid taking on too much salary.

P.S., I hate caps lock.

2015 Obligatory Attendance/Record Tracker
1-2

LAST GAME: May 22 - Sox 3, Twins 2
NEXT GAME: June 8 - Sox vs. Astros
Old 07-04-2005, 02:30 AM
WSI Regular

Iguchi has been doing the little things all season like his sacrifice bunt with Ozuna on second today.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

as far as tadahito goes- hasn't his decline in average coincided with him getting about 2 games off per week?

EDIT: nevermind- i see now that he has always gotten a game off at least once a series or so.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:38 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Go Everetts
Iguchi has been doing the little things all season like his sacrifice bunt with Ozuna on second today.
The worst part about little things is that they get completely overlooked in the stats. Tadahito has been great when it comes to taking pitches and hitting the ball to the right to move a guy over. I honestly think he is one of our most important players. He has worked with pods to create a lot of offense. Defenseively he has been awesome.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludupree
The worst part about little things is that they get completely overlooked in the stats.
I agree, it is a shame. It's undetectable to the stat sheet. Though, part of its mystique is that a player knowingly sacrifices without getting statistical credit for one--only from his teammates as he returns to the dugout. And since it doesn't show up on the stat sheet, it's most likely not going to show up in his pocketbook, either. I respect it because a man who routinely does it, proves that he values winning more than extra money.

Ed Farmer made a comment that I mostly forgot, but I think he said that he puts a star or an asterisk on his scorecard to identify productive outs.

If he is doing that, I'd love to see the end-of-year statistic for each player on the team.

Last edited by shoota; 07-04-2005 at 03:23 AM.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
That's a really good point. And if the Sox were to acquire a .300 hitter, it'd be ideal for him to fill in one of those defensive-only positions. Joe Randa is hitting a shade under .300, and his career average is .287.

Randa pluses:

1) The Sox will receive an upgrade in offense over their current third baseman: clutch hitting, quality at bats, situational hitting.

2) He's very affordable both in salary and in cost to acquire. His contract expires after this season, so the Sox won't be saddled with an expensive, long-term contract after he's traded for.

3) Team Chemistry will improve, though not so much for Randa's personality, but as a result of addition by subtraction of the Sox's current, antisocial, introverted, mumbling third baseman.

Randa minuses:
none
a.)just curious...in what language does "none" translate to substantial defensive downgrade.

b.)how does one figure that team chemistry will improve by introducing a new player to the best team in baseball to take the place of a starting player on the best team in baseball, and that player is a player from one of the worst teams in baseball, not exactly setting the house ablaze and not renowned for his leadership/chemistry attributes?

good God, can we ever stop hearing about RANDA?
Old 07-04-2005, 03:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fquaye149
b.)how does one figure that team chemistry will improve by introducing a new player to the best team in baseball to take the place of a starting player on the best team in baseball, and that player is a player from one of the worst teams in baseball, not exactly setting the house ablaze and not renowned for his leadership/chemistry attributes?
My comment about chemistry was simply trying to stir the pot on the subject. We fans don't have any idea what each player brings to clubhouse chemistry. It's speculation, and at best, educated guesses.

And even if Crede were a great teammate, the other 24 players could still be hoping for an on-field upgrade at third because they want a better chance at winning.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:31 AM
WSI Regular

Actually I think this is directly related to Pods not playing as much lately or getting on base as much as he did earlier. I know this may sound odd, but Pods and Iguchi performance is directly related. If Pods gets on base alot Iguchi seems to be better, if Pods Iguchi seems to slump. It is as if Iguchi needs to help Pods out. These two players are so related in thier performance it is not even funny. I think both Pods and Iguchi are having a mini-slump...it was bound to happen.

As far as bringing in another bat...sorry I do not like the idea of that. Even with regards to Crede, I am begining to like him in the lineup.

I also think all this "need another bat" stuff is directly related to a hard trip in Oakland.

As it stands I think things are fine the way they are right now. Personally I cannot agree with it at all. Largely because it is completely unnecessary. The way the team is actually GOOD right now, because most of the players on the team know thier roles and do the little things to win...ESPECIALLY IGUCHI. The man is willing to sacrafice so much for the team and is fundimentally sound. The team works because it is built around a philosophy, I am not sure how getting a .300 hitter with an ego is going to help that philosophy.

Also this Randa obsession is out of control. He is not worth it...period. There is minuses...one is losing one of the best fielding 3rd baseman in the league for a team that is dependant on defense.

Last edited by lostletters; 07-04-2005 at 03:42 AM.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
My comment about chemistry was simply trying to stir the pot on the subject. We fans don't have any idea what each player brings to clubhouse chemistry. It's speculation, and at best, educated guesses.

And even if Crede were a great teammate, the other 24 players could still be hoping for an on-field upgrade at third because they want a better chance at winning.
then they are probably hoping for an actual upgrade