White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2005, 08:19 AM
WSI Regular

Default Jason Schmidt: What would you give up?

Would you give up McCarthy, Anderson, and a reliever to get him? Is he worth it?

He would make the Sox rotation awful tough.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:23 AM
WSI Personality

Jason Schmidt is worthy of a mention when it comes to the title of "best pitcher in MLB." Unfortunately, he's injury prone on Cub-like levels.

I'd consider giving up McCarthy and Anderson in a slam-dunk deal where we get a young, proven pitcher like a Santana or a Willis. But an injury prone pitcher who's probably seen their better days? Well, we're seeing how that philosophy has worked for the Yankees right now...and it's no good.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:25 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkISox
Would you give up McCarthy, Anderson, and a reliever to get him? Is he worth it?

He would make the Sox rotation awful tough.
I really don't know enough about him. I don't pay much attention to the inferior National League, much less the NL West. However, just by looking at his stats, he seems like monster, although he's spent some time on the DL this year.

If KW felt that Schmidt would be the final piece for a World Series run, then I'd say go for it.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

Seems like too much to give up for someone so injury prone, if they could swing a deal with Sweeney or Anderson and some other lesser players to get him I would bite. But then again I dont know Schmidt's contract status. ANyone know what he is getting paid this year and how many years he has left on his current deal?
Old 06-20-2005, 08:32 AM
WSI Regular

It looks to me that Jason Schmidt is pitching hurt. His velocity is down and way too inconsistant as of late. Plus, I don't like NL pitchers coming to the AL mid-year. I think Schmidt is way too much of a risk at this point to give up prospects like those.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:38 AM
Chief Geek - Security Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookieroy
It looks to me that Jason Schmidt is pitching hurt. His velocity is down and way too inconsistant as of late. Plus, I don't like NL pitchers coming to the AL mid-year. I think Schmidt is way too much of a risk at this point to give up prospects like those.
Speaking of Schmidt's velocity being down, I know Gain'ts fans who have suggested he was a 'roider. Just something to think about.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:10 PM
WSI Personality

I had him on my fantasy team the past 2 years and he has been dominant...is he really injury prone or his this his first year battling with it....I'd love to have him, bit we don't need a #1....if Duque is still hurting we should get a solid #3 guy to hold us over...if you make the palyoffs you don't use a 5 man rotation anyways
Old 06-20-2005, 01:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

We would probably have to pay for his buyout next year, so I want no part of him because he would hurt us retaining Frank or Paulie. Plus, it's not like he guarantees us a Wolrd Series. If we make a move for a starting pitcher, he better be an unquestionable ace.

The only starting pitcher i would give up prospects for is Roger Clemens. Other than that, I am not buying what the sellers are selling.

-A Tigers fan, just before the Pale Hose defeated the Kitties 9-1.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarWestChicago
Speaking of Schmidt's velocity being down, I know Gain'ts fans who have suggested he was a 'roider. Just something to think about.
Would that explain his massive head?
Old 06-20-2005, 04:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo=dorf
Would that explain his massive head?
otherwise known as barry bonds syndrome
Old 06-20-2005, 05:31 PM
MMXXIII

I wouldn't shed a tear if KW dumped McCarthy and/or Anderson for a monster bat or top of the rotation starter, but Jason Schmidt is about as sturdy as a toothpick. Not worth a premier quality prospect.

2015 Obligatory Attendance/Record Tracker
1-2

LAST GAME: May 22 - Sox 3, Twins 2
NEXT GAME: June 8 - Sox vs. Astros
Old 06-20-2005, 05:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Jason Schmidt is far too ouchy for me.Sorry.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Jason Schmidt

There are talks that the giants may want to get rid of Jason Schmidt and his big contract, I realize he has had his struggles this year but would anyone else like to see Kenny Williams try and get Schmidt I realize we have a full pitching staff and we got Brandon in the minors but I sure as hell wouldn't mind having schmidt in the sox staff
Old 06-21-2005, 02:43 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05
There are talks that the giants may want to get rid of Jason Schmidt and his big contract, I realize he has had his struggles this year but would anyone else like to see Kenny Williams try and get Schmidt I realize we have a full pitching staff and we got Brandon in the minors but I sure as hell wouldn't mind having schmidt in the sox staff
Pass. Schmidt is struggling because of health problems. That's a deal-breaker for me.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:43 PM
Banned

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...ad.php?t=52478