White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2005, 03:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by infohawk
McCarthy also strikes me as a pretty serious guy who focuses on the job at hand. It has been said that he is very mature and composed for his age. Perhaps this is mistaken for aloofness or arrogance.
That is very accurate, in my experience and yes, I do think the 2 are easily mistaken... can be difficult to distinguish at times.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:00 PM
Banned

Having played a ball game or two, my opinion is that a 21 year old who was slated to stay at AA and due to a good spring had a shot at the big league staff and was the first call up and even got a few starts is going to get a little bit of the cold shoulder treatment, particularly when the AAA club is not doing well and a bunch of professional minor leaguers, who were all hoping for their cup of coffee in the bigs are stuck.

I always played as if I'd never make the show and I could have if my knees had held out and I'd had some luck. Then again, I had something to fall back on. A lot of guys are going to be bitter and McCarthy does nothing to settle things down.

Heck, if he was popular in AAA Charlotte, I'd be worried.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68

There are a lot of minor league vets who haven't been able to stick in the majors who I'd imagine would be pretty upset if a kid who had yet to prove anything started acting "big time"
The Messiah ??
" The 2006 White Sox..... simply didn't have the hunger of the Twins or Tigers" - SunTimes columnist and SOX fan Richard Roeper
Old 06-21-2005, 11:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondafarm
Having played a ball game or two, my opinion is that a 21 year old who was slated to stay at AA and due to a good spring had a shot at the big league staff and was the first call up and even got a few starts is going to get a little bit of the cold shoulder treatment, particularly when the AAA club is not doing well and a bunch of professional minor leaguers, who were all hoping for their cup of coffee in the bigs are stuck.

I always played as if I'd never make the show and I could have if my knees had held out and I'd had some luck. Then again, I had something to fall back on. A lot of guys are going to be bitter and McCarthy does nothing to settle things down.

Heck, if he was popular in AAA Charlotte, I'd be worried.
I was thinking the same thing as well. But who cares, anyway? Besides Brandon and Anderson, how many legit prospects do we even have at AAA? Or is that it?
Old 06-21-2005, 11:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

bajenaru is legit, from what i've heard...i know very, very little about the farm though.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:42 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
That is very accurate, in my experience and yes, I do think the 2 are easily mistaken... can be difficult to distinguish at times.
A classic example of this is Steve Carlton, who is generally considered one of the least-liked players ever to put on a Phillies uniform. It wasn't that he intentionally acted like a jerk, but he just didn't like to talk to anyone: media, teammates, or fans; and during the games he pitched he sat by himself at the end of the bench where no one dared to tread.
Now if he had been a .500 pitcher and the Phillies had been a .500 team he would been permanently slapped with the old "clubhouse cancer" tag; but because he won over 300 games and the Phillies were contenders for a solid decade (including a WS win in '80), he was known as "intense", "competitive", and "focused".
Obviously BMac has a long way to go before he'd ever be mentioned in the same breath as Steve Carlton, but the point is that being well-liked is not necessarily a prerequisite for being a great teammate...
Camden Yards: 4-5 ; Yankee Stadium: 3-2 ; Jacobs Field: 2-0 ; Skydome: 1-0 ; Comerica Park: 1-0 ; Milwaukee County Stadium: 3-0 ; The Vet/Citizens Bank: 2-1 ; PNC Park: 1-0 ; Comiskey/The Cell: Definitely over .500...
===> 2014: Now representing Sox army in the 'Cuse...
Old 06-25-2005, 01:45 PM
WSI Personality

I have heard rumblings about Brandon being cocky and arrogant before. I didn't really get any of that when he was in Birmingham, but that was only about a month so its hard to say.

I agree with randar and infohawk that jealousy could very well be a factor. Another is that Charlotte flat out sucks. I have been around enough teams to know that when things are going well, everybody seems like a great guy. When a team is bad and losing, guys become *******s. Everyone looks to blame someone and to deflect attention from themselves.

I'd say that if there is resentment from other players in Charlotte, it is probably a combination of jealousy, the confident way Brandon carries himself, the positive praise and press he has received and general unhappiness from players on a team that is 30 games under .500.

Players tend to become very selfish during seasons like this one for Charlotte and the clubhouse atmosphere can border on miserable.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:25 AM
WSI Personality

Don't worry about this. Brandon will be sucessful. He has some things he has to work on to get back into his groove, but it will happen.