White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2005, 07:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Post WSCR discovers baseball team called "Chicago White Sox" and their fans...

A thousand pardons if this has already been brought up, and I'm setting myself up as I don't listen to "sports radio" that often, but ever since the announcement that WSCR will be the radio home for the Sox starting next year, they have been in full "kiss butt" mode towards the Sox. As a Sox fan, its rather demeaning and condescending, but seeing how the media usually treats our team and its fans, it's different.

On the other hand, I expect AM 1000 to increase the anti-Sox rhetoric as this season continues. You can practically hear Bruce Levine's pants fall around his ankles whenever he talks about his beloved Cubs, but he was all too eager to dismiss any "hype" about the Dodgers coming back to the south side and any references to 1959.

Now I know why I shouldn't listen to "sports radio"...

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:57 PM
Banned

I would say you haven't been listening at all to the Score this year. Nearly all of their hosts except for noted Flub harlot Mike Murphy have bent over backward to give the Sox coverage and the ol' pat on the back. Plus their commercials for weeks have been hyping "If you want to hear news about the first place Chicago White Sox, WSCR is the place."

If they've been negative or bashing, they've been doing that at least as equally toward the North Side ballclub.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeses_h_rice
If they've been negative or bashing, they've been doing that at least as equally toward the North Side ballclub.
Like I said in my initial post, I only listen occasionally, so I'll take your word for it.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:12 PM
WSI Prelate

It seems that every ten minutes or so, the Score runs a promo mentioning that it's "Your new home for the 2006 White Sox."
Old 06-19-2005, 11:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Now all the Score has to do is stop running commercials for Strip Clubs and drop "Bores" & Bernstein and they will have become a respectable radio station.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:12 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickAllen72
Now all the Score has to do is stop running commercials for Strip Clubs and drop "Bores" & Bernstein and they will have become a respectable radio station.
I disagree on both counts.

Old 06-20-2005, 12:54 AM
WSI Personality

I agree on both counts
Old 06-20-2005, 01:12 AM
WSI High Priest

I agree on one count. Those strip club commercials have got to go...it's a little embarrassing to be listening at work and have a "Heavenly Bodies" commercial come on.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palehose13
I agree on one count. Those strip club commercials have got to go...it's a little embarrassing to be listening at work and have a "Heavenly Bodies" commercial come on.
No offense intended, but it speaks volumes about the target audience. Maybe having the Sox broadcasts will send some more legitimate advertisers their way.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:05 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker
No offense intended, but it speaks volumes about the target audience. Maybe having the Sox broadcasts will send some more legitimate advertisers their way.
Ha.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-20-2005, 03:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Those strip club commercials have got to go...it's a little embarrassing to be listening at work and have a "Heavenly Bodies" commercial come on.
Radio runs on Ad revenue and their money is as good as anybody elses. I'm sure the strip clubs also have to pay a premium price higher than other advertisers to get their ads on the radio. I'm not advocating that strip club commericals are good, I'm just saying they need the money.

I would also disagree that we are going to hear a lot of anti-sox rhetoric on AM-1000. It still stands that the lead host on their most popular show, Dan McNeil, is a sox fan. Also now that they don't have any baseball on the station they are going to have to straddle the middle and attract both sides to listen to their original programming. They still need sox fans to listen just as much as they need cub fans to flee from the score to them. It is not in their best interests to alienate the fans of any team in town, especially now that M,J&H are their one draw.

AM 1000 is in trouble for other reasons other than losing sox baseball. Chicago is famous for it's loyalty to local radio programming and they have two national shows in the morning drive and early afternoon slots. It makes it difficult for the sandwich show Silvy and Carmen to build a strong audience.

Mike North's transition to the mornings has been a bit rocky (he's trying too hard to be like Spike O'Dell's morning show on WGN instead of Mike North's old afternoon show, mostly due to limitations of the morning format) but realistically he should always kill Mike and Mike in the ratings here and Dan Patrick doesn't usually fare well against B & B.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:41 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banix12
It still stands that the lead host on their most popular show, Dan McNeil, is a sox fan.
B.S. Mac is only a Sox fan to the extent that, if forced to endure a sports scene that had only baseball, he'd be a Sox fan. He has always spent most of baseball season counting down the weeks "until the Bears are back in pads."

He's a typical former high-school football player who thinks that the world revolves around football.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 06-20-2005, 12:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I thought you worked in a high school. Are you teaching a communications class?
Old 06-20-2005, 12:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Don't forget the newest entry in the strip club sweepstakes, "Polekatz".

Old 06-20-2005, 12:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickAllen72
I totally agree about dropping the strip club commercials. Kids listen to ballgames for crissakes. At the very least those commercials should only run in the wee hours of the morning.
As far as the on air personalities as far as I'm concerned,, the Score can drop all of 'em. First to go, North! Then Murph and Lawrence Holmes, oh and Jesse Rogers. Holmes and Rogers sound like they oughta be on a high school radio station. North and Murph are total buffoons.