Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2005, 08:17 AM
WSI Regular

Default Who genuinely saw this coming?

With how good the Sox have been, I wanted to know who saw the sox having a great season and a chance to contend for the pennant....

I know I did; maybe not this spectacular so far, but I drafted the 5 white sox starters in my fantasy league weeks before the season started....I'm in first place because of it...

Faith since the beginning of time....
Old 06-13-2005, 08:24 AM
WSI Church Elder

I was excited just to be able to watch good solid baseball. I didn't think we would be in first right now let alone have the best record in the MLB.

I too drafted SOX heavy in FB but not because I knew we would be this good. I figured PK is good for HRs and RBIs and MB is good for a good WHIP and ERA. I picked up Hermy a month ago. Got stuck with Uribe but made a trade for Jeter. Uribe is sharing time with McPherson at third. I wanted Pods and Iguchi but I didn't have a live draft and never though someone would rate them higher than I did on the auto thingy. I just though it would be fun to follow my team while watching my SOX.

"I've thought about opening a bottle of champagne and pouring it on my teammates' heads. I don't care about my stats, just as long as we win. That gets us closer to my goal." C. Politte
Old 06-13-2005, 08:28 AM
WSI High Priest

I was considering taking the entire year off if they came back with that same crap for a 5th year in a row. All I wanted was them to make a change in the team structure because I knew it would lead to positive results. I expected them to do better then the teams of the last few years, but I would imagine that everyone is pleasantly surprised with the start the Sox have had this year.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

I thought they would contend for the AL Central - and that was enough to keep me interested. I didn't think they would be as good as they are and seriously doubt anyone who claims that they did.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:34 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
I thought they would contend for the AL Central - and that was enough to keep me interested. I didn't think they would be as good as they are and seriously doubt anyone who claims that they did.
I pretty much agree. Because Detroit, KC and Cleveland are so weak, I knew the Sox had a good shot at the division and therefore a chance to win 90 games. I always pick them to win the division, but I thought it would be a dogfight with the Twins until the end (and it looks to be shaping up that way). I just didn't think they would be 20+ games over .500 in the middle of June and have the best record in the MLB.

The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:39 AM
Banned

Once the rotation was set, I told friends that I was "cautiously optimistic," and I envisioned a race where the Twins and Sox would be close all year and either one or the other would win the division with, oh, about 92-94 wins. Now it seems like the Sox could win 105, the Twins 99, and the two best teams in the A.L. will come out of the Central. Now, certainly I didn't see that coming.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

If anyone did predict this, then they were just guessing. I have to believe its a surprise to everyone, all the way up to KW and JR.

In the past, we had an unbalanced team of sluggers. Everyone predicted them to do great things, but that lack of balance- while exciting on paper- never works out in the end.

I was happy they made major, smart, difficult changes. And with those changes I saw the Sox in a dogfight with the Twins and Indians... all maybe 1-2 games within each other in the end.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo
Because Detroit, KC and Cleveland are so weak
I, personally, didn't think Cleveland was weak before opening day. Lots of great rookies last year, I thought they'd be right there with us and MIN.

Oh, well!
Old 06-13-2005, 09:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

I am as surprised at our success as I am at Cleveland's failure. John Kruk actually made a good point on BBTN that the Pirates should be happy to be at .500. The Indians should be disappointed. The Twins are right where I thought they'd be, as are the Tigers and Royals.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

I think a lot of us saw this coming.I can't recall a spring training with so much optimism as this past one.
Especially after we got Iguchi.
Now,i don't think anyone thought that we would have a .667 winning percentage(WOW) on june 13th,but i think most of us knew we were going to be a more solid and well-rounded team.
Also,the fantasy baseball bug ran its course with me a couple of years back,but in 2000 i picked White Sox players at every position(much to the chagrin of my fellow players) and was champion in three leagues.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:06 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwar
Now,i don't think anyone thought that we would have a .667 winning percentage(WOW) on june 13th
And even if they did, they'd be shocked... because we actually have a .677 record!

Old 06-13-2005, 09:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

I thought that they would be improved, but I can't honestly say that I expected them to be as good as they are. First and foremost, I liked the guys they acquired. I was also excited about the transition of play from station-to-station baseball to a more aggresive, pitching, defense and contact hitting approach. The thought also occured to me that, if they came up short, at least it would be for reasons other than those that plagued the team from 2001-2004.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:15 AM
WSI High Priest

With the changes that were made in the offseason, I was confident that the Sox would win the division. So confident, that I bought partial season tickets (even though I really can't afford it and am suffering a bit now because of it) and made sure that I got the last two home games vs. Minnesota...so I can be there for the clincher.

So yeah, I knew that they were gonna be good. I'm a little surprised at HOW good they are, but I did believe in January...and that was BEFORE Iguchi (I got my ST package at SoxFest).

I'm not lying because I wouldn't have bought ST if I thought otherwise. The reason why I bought them was to get playoff tickets.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:39 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

I picked the Sox to win the WS in the pre-season pediction thread, but I admit I did it from the heart and not the head. I knew the team was going to be more balanced. I pretty much pegged the problems that would confront the team scoring wise (but a lot of people did). I did not think our starters would be this good. Obviously I am ecstatic over Garland's numbers figuring him more as a 15 win pitcher on the season and now he might have that by August. Contreras and El Duque were also question marks for different reasons, but they still gave the Sox more talent and depth in the rotation than at any time since 1994. Heck, just having 5 solid starters seemed like a huge step up.

Iguchi has blown me away and the defense has been better than it has been in my memory. The infield has sick range and even with his boneheaded plays early on, Dye has solidified an already fast outfield.

No, I didn't expect them to be this good, but obviously I saw the potential if everything went well. This team still isn't playing as well as it can. With the addition of Frank and the resurgence of Dye, Everett, Konerko and to a lesser extent Crede, this team has everything it takes to go a long long way in the playoffs. Still, I am pleased but not shocked at how well the team is performing.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-13-2005, 09:47 AM
Banned

On another board I predicted the Sox to win the AL Central, to beat the Yankees in the ALDS, and to lose in 7 to the Red Sox in the ALCS. But I admit I really didn't much believe it when I said it. This whole season has just been