Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2005, 12:39 AM
WSI Regular

Post Props for WS from... Torii Hunter?

I was surprised to read this little quote from Hunter:

Quote:
It's the main difference between the Twins and the White Sox, who lead the Minnesota in the AL Central by 5 games. The Twins have scored 288 runs, the White Sox 291. The Twins lead the majors with a 3.39 team ERA. The White Sox are second at 3.46.But the White Sox are 19-8 in one-run games, the best in the majors. The Twins are 12-12.

Gardenhire said over the weekend that he's not worried about his team's record in one-run games. But Hunter views Chicago's advantage differently.

"That's the reason why they are in first place," Hunter said. "That's the reason why they are the best team in the major leagues. The way they are playing, no team can match up with those guys. Not even us. We can't compare them to us right now. They are sick."
Old 06-13-2005, 12:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
I was surprised to read this little quote from Hunter:
One word: WOW! That came out of Hunter's mouth??
Robin!

Yaz! Pliers!

"Robin Ventura has one thing Ozzie does not have -- CLASS!" ~My dad, in response to seeing the Sox commercials that featured Robin, 03.08.12

Old 06-13-2005, 12:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Wow. Classy quotes from a guy that's usually anything but...

Old 06-13-2005, 01:04 AM
WSI Church Elder

oooooooh yeaaaaa toriii.....ohhhhh that feels good
Old 06-13-2005, 03:18 AM
WSI High Priest

Quite a bit has been said, mainly by the media, about how the Sox have the Twins breathing down the Sox neck and how the Sox have not been able to put further distance between themselves and the Twins. Well Sunday evening I had the opportunity to talk with a Twins fan. The Twins fan said expressed frustration about how they just can't seem to catch the Sox this year.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 06-13-2005, 03:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad
Quite a bit has been said, mainly by the media, about how the Sox have the Twins breathing down the Sox neck and how the Sox have not been able to put further distance between themselves and the Twins. Well Sunday evening I had the opportunity to talk with a Twins fan. The Twins fan said expressed frustration about how they just can't seem to catch the Sox this year.
Theres 2 ways to look at everything, no?

Torrii Hunter, when not being him typical self ( ) actually seems to have a small amount of class....I've heard him speak highly of the Sox several times this year

This quote is somewhat of a shock considering the source, but either way the truth is the truth
Old 06-13-2005, 04:24 AM
WSI Personality

Not to be a Sox-basher, but maybe this is the first year where the Twins actually SHOULD be saying anything nice about our team. In the past, they've owned us for the most part, and after they repeatedly kicked the Sox's asses, why should they have anything nice to say. Now that we have a team that can legitamately compete with them, and they've been chasing us all year, they have to give credit where credit is due. And for the record, I still hate Toriiiiiii Hunter.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Hunter has a history of saying stuff like this. When the Sox made the Roberto Alomar and Everett trades in 2003, Hunter made a big deal about the Sox becoming a great team, only to pull away from the Sox. His whole thing is that we're little Minnesota and were lucky to even be playing with the Sox, kinda reverse psychology.

The only thing Hunter every said that caught my attention was that after the Sox traded Lee and Maggs didn't sign, Hunter said that he wasn't afraid of the Sox anymore.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:19 AM
Banned

Default hunter's a punk

i am inclined to believe that his comment is anything but genuine. theres some kind of reverse psychology there. hunter is too evil to compliment the white sox. i would take what i just said back if and only if hunter said "i was wrong for what i said about not being afraid of the sox. open mouth, insert foot." because that is basically what he did when he said what he said.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:36 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

He's trying to avoid some chin music later this season.

Old 06-13-2005, 07:41 AM
Banned

Torii showed some class, bout damn time! In all seriousness though, I like him for his skill and skill alone. His mouth could get him in trouble, but let's be honest here, there isnt a major league team who wouldnt take him.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:44 AM
Banned

what a nice guy! i always liked him.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

"I LOVE that Torii Hunter!"

Frank Thomas: the best Sox player there was, and the best Sox player there ever will be! No doubt about it!
Old 06-13-2005, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:

"I LOVE that Torii Hunter!"
Fixed that.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:32 AM
WSI Regular

He is just playing mind games. I can understand a simple compliment or token of respect, but to go gushing how good they are and how his Twins can't even compare to them - well that is just too over the top to be genuine. He is just blowing smoke like Lou Holtz would do at ND when he would say how much of an underdog the Irish were before every game.

SFF