White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2001, 02:03 PM
WSI Personality

Default Sox to get new uniforms!!!

Well, maybe not. I was just thinking that they have had these for a long time. Throughout history the Sox have never had the same uniforms for very long periods of time. Does anyone know what unis they have had the longest? Are we getting close?
Old 11-15-2001, 02:08 PM
Clean-up Crew

I'm not sure on that one, but I am really fond of the Sunday home jerseys. Those would look really cool in Grey on the road too.
Old 11-15-2001, 02:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Re: Sox to get new uniforms!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Well, maybe not. I was just thinking that they have had these for a long time. Throughout history the Sox have never had the same uniforms for very long periods of time. Does anyone know what unis they have had the longest? Are we getting close?
When JR sells out the ware house of sox apparel then he'll change colors. This way everyone buys again, bottom line you know.
Old 11-15-2001, 02:52 PM
WSI High Priest

The current Sox uniforms are the best in baseball. Why mess with a good thing? The only thing I wish they did was wear the black alternate jerseys for their road jerseys all the time instead of the grey ones. Those black ones are sharp and it makes me remember the "Good guys wear black" Sox teams of '93 & '94. The Sunday 1917 jerseys were cool but I think that was a one shot deal to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of White Sox baseball.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 11-15-2001, 02:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Re: Sox to get new uniforms!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Sox to get new uniforms!!!
Don't do that.
Old 11-15-2001, 04:34 PM
WSI Regular

Default re:

I'm not a fan of the Sunday Best, stick with what we have. What more could you want? Classy pinstripes, no stupid flashy colors o detract from the fact that it is a Baseball Game not a Fashion Show. Why do you think gangsta rap got so high on Sox hats? Because they just look damn cool!!!
Old 11-15-2001, 05:08 PM
The Grand Wazoo

I find the idea of woodland camoflague uniforms intriguing.
Old 11-15-2001, 05:29 PM
Sanitation Engineer

Quote:
Originally posted by daver
I'd go with the treebark look.
Old 11-15-2001, 05:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally posted by daver
Yes that would be interesting.
Old 11-15-2001, 05:38 PM
WSI Personality

My guess is the Go-Go Sox had theirs the longest. I could be wrong tho.

As for the new ones, I like the "Chiacgo" roadies - just get rid of the vest style home ones. Yuck!
Old 11-15-2001, 06:31 PM
Webmaster - French Fryer

Quote:
Originally posted by longshot7
My guess is the Go-Go Sox had theirs the longest. I could be wrong tho.
The Go-Go Sox uniforms were introduced in 1949, featuring the Old English "Sox" logo. The same basic style remained in use until 1976. However, the Sox changed colors and details several times in that span. They ditched the base black color in 1964 in favor of navy blue. So the longest run of uniforms was the black & white variety from '49-'63, twelve years. The current silver & black uniforms have been in use since September, 1990. That's roughly eleven seasons.

The giant "S" logo (worn by the Black Sox) was used through most of the teens and 20's, however that uniform went through numerous changes, too. I guess it depends on how you define "new" to determine which style has served the longest.

I remember Reinsdorf saying he intended to keep the current uniforms a long time. As an old Brooklyn fan, he claims to like the traditional look.

Now if somebody waved a bunch of money under his nose...
Old 11-15-2001, 06:40 PM
Chief Geek - Security Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Now if somebody waved a bunch of money under his nose...

Show me the right money and I'll have them playing in dresses!
Old 11-15-2001, 06:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

didn't they used to make their bat boy wear dresses? #99, what's his name? I think they fired him.
Old 11-15-2001, 06:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
didn't they used to make their bat boy wear dresses? #99, what's his name? I think they fired him.
Hidalgo (sp?) was his name, and no he did not wear a dress.
Old 11-15-2001, 07:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

No, it's true, I have a good memory.

The curse of Poppy Hidalgo
BY GREG COUCH

If you went to your first White Sox game of the year Thursday night, you noticed that the Oakland Athletics kept hitting home runs and Frank Thomas did not. You sat at Comiskey Park, trying to figure why this year's Sox keep losing while last year's team kept winning.

You thought about the hitting, the chemistry and the other things experts keep blabbing about. And then you noticed this:

The batboy is some unassuming kid who sees a foul ball roll down the screen, stands there, catches the ball as it hits his helmet, then runs back to the dugout without looking at a player, much less slapping one on the behind.

You've heard of the Curse of the Bambino, the Curse of Rocky Colavito or the Billy Goat Jinx? The Sox are suffering from the Poppy Hidalgo Hex.

Hidalgo was the team's tiny 31-year-old batboy turned media darling last year. And now the Sox have fired their good-luck charm.

"I don't know about that," Sox manager Jerry Manuel said. "I don't believe in good-luck charms."

Do you believe in this? With Poppy last year, the Sox had the best record in the American League. Without him, they are 7-13, the fourth-worst record in baseball.

There is a feel to this team that is missing, a soul. And everywhere you look at Comiskey, Poppy is gone. Remember? He used to do a pirouette as he caught the ball off the screen. He used to give the ball to kids near the dugout. He used to high-five players, tell them to slide into home or wave them home while the third-base coach was putting up the stop sign.

A sign: In Section 131 is a large cardboard cutout of Frank Thomas high-fiving Poppy. But in the cutout, Poppy's head is missing. On the field, Poppy's uniform said "HIDALGO." The new kid's says "BATBOY."

This is no joke. Poppy was a real part of this team. On a road trip that included hazing for rookies, Poppy was made to wear a dress.

And remember, baseball players are among the most superstitious people in the world. Wade Boggs ate only chicken on game days. Mark Fidrych talked to himself and the ball. Turk Wendell brushed his teeth in the dugout.

So how do they know Poppy brought luck? How did Boggs know his hitting was from poultry? Just a feeling.

Barbara LeTarte of Northlake went to her first game of the year Thursday. She sat near the Sox dugout, and in the bottom of the first inning, she turned to her husband, George, and said, "Hey, that's not the same batboy."

Poppy had given a ball last year to their 9-year-old, Sarah, who wrote about it in her journal for days.

What happened? Poppy was canned for "performance-related issues," according to a Sox spokesman. And the job was meant for kids. Sources close to the Sox said there might have been other reasons. As a star, he was said to be losing interest in, well, picking jockstraps off the locker-room floor.

So they threw their lucky dice out the window.

"The kid we have this year keeps dropping foul balls off the net," Sox first baseman Paul Konerko said, smiling. "We've got to pick that up. Poppy never dropped balls.

"Poppy was fun. He had more mood swings than the players. He was the only clubhouse guy that players had to make adjustments for."

Clubhouse manager Vince Fresso said Poppy is working the clubhouse for a minor-league team in the Montreal Expos' system.

But check out Chicago Sports Fans Forums on the Web. There's a page titled, "A very sad day in Chicago White Sox Baseball." It's about Poppy.

"Poppy was part of the reason we won 95 games last season." "An outrage." "Team chemistry is irrelevant to the profit margin."

Another sign: On Thursday, BATBOY made his first appearance for a foul ball the A's hit off the screen. On the next pitch, Oakland got its first hit of the game.

Rich Lindberg, who wrote the White Sox Encyclopedia, wasn't so quick to blame (credit?) Poppy. He believes the Hidalgo Hex is trumped by the Comiskey Curse.

"They had the Black Sox scandal in 1919," he said, "and have had 82 years of bad luck since."

He also talked about a baseballwide trend of doing away with superfans, such as Andy the Clown.

"Everything in these stadiums is choreographed now," Lindberg said. "Anything that interferes with that choreography, the marketing, has to go."

So Poppy is gone now, and who knows what kind of Hidalgo Hex he left behind.