White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2005, 04:35 PM
WSI Personality

Default Kris Honel optioned?

I read on a thread yesterday that he has been optioned to AA. Anyone have any more info? When was the last time he even pitched? Someone tell me something.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:43 PM
WSI Regular

from today's Chicaho Sports

SAN DIEGO -- The White Sox gained flexibility on their 25-man roster Friday at the expense of 2001 first-round pick Kris Honel.

Honel, whose career has been hampered by right shoulder tendinitis, was taken off the 40-man roster and outrighted to Double-A Birmingham.

The move creates an opening in the event the Sox want to claim a player off waivers from another team, purchase the contract of a minor-league player not on the 40-man roster or acquire a player via trade for a minor-leaguer not on the 40-man roster.

Honel, 22, is 1-3 with a 7.55 ERA in eight games. The Providence product pitched in only five games last year because of injuries.

"As I told [Honel], he's building strength," Sox general manager Ken Williams said. "Right now, he's just getting to where he was before as a starting pitcher.

"I don't want this to shake his confidence. This will allow him to gradually build strength and not feel he has to rush back."
Old 06-11-2005, 06:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

He was up to ninety in his last appearance, so at least the velocity is improving.