White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2005, 07:47 PM
WSI Regular

Location: Springfield, Va (Northern Va - outside Washington, DC)
Default McCarthy getting shelled

His stats don't look like a guy ready to pitch in the majors. His performance since getting hammered by Texas looks like he took the hammering back to the minors.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptUSN
His stats don't look like a guy ready to pitch in the majors. His performance since getting hammered by Texas looks like he took the hammering back to the minors.
This is a kid who was pitching in A-ball this time last year. He had a good spring and everyone got giddy. He's still going to be a good one...just not this soon.

19 seasons, 9232 AB, 216 SO
Old 06-09-2005, 10:15 PM
WSI Regular

I wouldn't worry about McCarthy too much. He's a 21-year-old pitcher, he's very young for AAA. Before his amazing spring he was slated to be back at Birmingham, so he is still adjusting to what is a very big jump. Plus, he's a young, fastball pitcher in a small park, bad combination. He's going to take his lumps while he learns how to pitch. But he'll be okay if he keeps his confidence. He's already proven that he has what it takes, now it's a matter of waiting for him to mature.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

I think he'll be ok, as long as he doesn't take any MLB shellackings this year as a substitute and get his spirit broken...he has good stuff.

Frank Thomas: the best Sox player there was, and the best Sox player there ever will be! No doubt about it!
Old 06-09-2005, 10:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' No. 2
He's still going to be a good one...just not this soon.
ugh...but i cant wait til hes in his mid-twenties to succeed
Old 06-10-2005, 07:59 AM
Banned

As one progresses up the minors, the hitters get better and better and your stuff seldom does. You have to learn about how to get people out and acquire another pitch or two. Maybe learn to turn something over or perfect a pitch you've already got.

McCarthy was in A ball this time last year, facing mostly recent high school graduates. He's now facing baseball professionals and future major leaguers. He'll be fine, but he needs to get some work in. Several minor league organizations have a standing rule that pitchers should get 500 minor league innings in before they are ready to start in the majors; that's three solid years as a starter. If McCarthy is ready next year he'd be way early.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:50 AM
WSI Regular

Default Control Sometimes can too Good

McCarthy has good stuff and great control, perhaps too great. Once he learns to work to the black stripe around the plate and stay away from center he will be a genuine Major league starter. With all 5 starters under contract or reserved for next year, the question is whether McCarthy will stay in the minors too long..which can also be a problem.

The too long in the minors might be a problem for Brian Anderson. All three OF starters are under control for next year and scouts are saying Anderson is ready to play in the majors right now.

Last edited by FloridaSox; 06-10-2005 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:02 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSox
McCarthy has good stuff and great control, perhaps too great. Once he learns to work to the black stripe around the plate and stay away from center he will be a genuine Major league starter. With all 5 starters under contract or reserved for next year, the question is whether McCarthy will stay in the minors too long..which can also be a problem.

The too long in the minors might be a problem for Brian Anderson. All three OF starters are under control for next year and scouts are saying Anderson is ready to play in the majors right now.
Sucks to have so many good young players, doesn't it?
Old 06-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Webmaster - French Fryer

It was less than a month ago there were several posters SERIOUSLY SUGGESTING the Sox ought to institute a 6-man rotation just to accommodate McCarthy.

There were several others who were positively giddy about the prospect of one of our starters getting hurt just so McCarthy could get promoted into the rotation.

Some real ****ing idiots...

Old 06-10-2005, 12:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

He has "Woods-like hype" for sure. I will admit to being one of the many who thought he would do ok in the bigs this year. After seeing him shut down a very good Norfolk Tides lineup (0 ER on 5 hits in 8 IP) I was all about seeing how well he could do against a big league lineup. However, I wasn't one of the ones asking for an injury or a 6 man rotation. I still can't wait to see him pitch for the SOX but I hope it isn't untill the year after next.

"I've thought about opening a bottle of champagne and pouring it on my teammates' heads. I don't care about my stats, just as long as we win. That gets us closer to my goal." C. Politte
Old 06-10-2005, 12:55 PM
WSI Regular

I actually had a few minutes to speak with Brandon in Indy and he indicated that there were several trade discussions in which he was named. Hard to believe they would let him go when the have El'Old Man in the rotation who is standing in line for his AARP card when Brandon is available. He said he was a possible trade for Helton and Chavez.

But he has been getting hit hard his last few starts, however he is getting his innings in and will move along.

I also spoke with Adkins and he had his normal outing, but he was lighting the gun up at 95/96 into late innings with good movement.

Baj was doing normal Baj work.....Scoreless innings and power relief...but rumor is he is not next to be called up if a bullpen guy goes down. It would be Adkins/Diaz/Walker/Fields according to the Knights people.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:43 PM
WSI Regular

White Sox are trying to make a deal with Japan for Stewart and Cassanova. Williams was offered $250,000 for Stewart but supposedly turned it down, wanting $500,000. Cassanova was part of that deal too. Mac has no friends in the Charlotte clubhouse to speak of.They say that he still thinks he's in Chicago. Guess that doesn't go over too well with the other players. According to some of the Knights, B.A. is the real deal. They speak highly of him but not McCarthy. He supposedly whines about everything, especially having to work out with the weights. Sounds like a Rauch Jr.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:11 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotteknights
White Sox are trying to make a deal with Japan for Stewart and Cassanova. Williams was offered $250,000 for Stewart but supposedly turned it down, wanting $500,000. Cassanova was part of that deal too. Mac has no friends in the Charlotte clubhouse to speak of.They say that he still thinks he's in Chicago. Guess that doesn't go over too well with the other players. According to some of the Knights, B.A. is the real deal. They speak highly of him but not McCarthy. He supposedly whines about everything, especially having to work out with the weights. Sounds like a Rauch Jr.
I'm surprised by this.

Bob
Old 06-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Banned

Remember one thing before you go by minor league stats; CHARLOTTE IS A HITTER"S PARK!!!!
Old 06-11-2005, 12:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

I know this has been mentioned before but if you put Johan Santana in that park he would have an ERA over 4. I can hit one out of there.

Last edited by White Sox Josh; 06-11-2005 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Johnson has an ERA over 4.