White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2005, 08:42 AM
New At WSI

Default White Sox select...

According to Baseball America's final projection the White Sox Select:

15. White Sox: Lance Broadway, rhp, Texas Christian U.
No prospect has shot up the charts more than Broadway in the last three weeks. He was concidered a late supplemental first-rounder until shaking down Tulane, Southern Mississippi, and Stanford in successive starts, allowing one run while striking out 26 in 24 innings. Now Broadway has pitched himself into the middle of the first round, and the White Sox will choose him over two Illinois high school products, Tulane lefthander/outfielder Brian Bogusevic and Carillo.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:52 AM
WSI Personality

Watching the regionals and seeing this kid pitch, I was very impressed. He has come on late and made a big splash when it counts and against quality opponents. I wouldn't be disappointed if the Sox selected this kid.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:55 AM
WSI Regular

Location: Naperville...and apparently beacause of this, im not supposed to like the sox

I'll admit I dont know anything about the guy...but if he's smart enough to attend a Texas school... I love him already.

*okay..so im a lil biased towards the State of Texas*
Old 06-07-2005, 10:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

I'm weary of us going after a guy just because he had 3 great starts. Tools-wise this kid isn't extremely impressive. He throws strikes, has a high 80's/low 90's fastball, and works hard. The scouts will look at his complete body of work (which is still very good), not a quick stretch in May/June. I have a feeling that they will see that he's not worth this high of a pick at #15.

I will resist making a crack about the scholastic integrity of Texas schools...

Last edited by rdivaldi; 06-07-2005 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:01 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
I'm weary of us going after a guy just because he had 3 great starts. Tools-wise this kid isn't very impressive. The scouts will look at his complete body of work, not a quick stretch in May/June and see that he's not worth this high of a pick.

For the record, Broadway was tied for the NCAA D-I in wins with 12 (15 now if you include post season), including wins against the then numbers 5 & 8 teams in the nation in Rice and Baylor earlier this year in March and April. He's produced the last few years in summer leagues and prior to his arrival at TCU at Dallas Baptist (take that for what it's worth, but a couple no-hitters, which is impressive wherever you are). rdivaldi, I know you like Carillo, but something about him scares me. Thay have been trying since he got to Miami to put some pounds on his frame, but have been unsuccessful. The kid is very strong and squats over 400 lbs., but can't gain a pound. I worry about his durability over the long haul. I hope I'm wrong (only if the Sox select him). He could be the next Pedro Martinez for all I know.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:08 AM
WSI Personality

teamonebaseball.com projects Townsend to the Sox at 15, another guy many say should be MLB ready towards the end of the year despite his holdout from last year.

15. Wade Townsend, RHP, Rice Uiversity
Could be a late season contributor in a pennant push.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungo
For the record, Broadway was tied for the NCAA D-I in wins with 12 (15 now if you include post season), including wins against the then numbers 5 & 8 teams in the nation in Rice and Baylor earlier this year in March and April. He's produced the last few years in summer leagues and prior to his arrival at TCU at Dallas Baptist (take that for what it's worth, but a couple no-hitters, which is impressive wherever you are). rdivaldi, I know you like Carillo, but something about him scares me. Thay have been trying since he got to Miami to put some pounds on his frame, but have been unsuccessful. The kid is very strong and squats over 400 lbs., but can't gain a pound. I worry about his durability over the long haul. I hope I'm wrong (only if the Sox select him). He could be the next Pedro Martinez for all I know.
Very true Fungo, Broadway has put together a very good season. But I'm just leary of his physical limitations. At #15 I want a guy with at least one plus pitch, or a young kid who could develop a plus pitch or two.

All you guys are making me paranoid about Carrillo's weight...

Old 06-07-2005, 11:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungo
teamonebaseball.com projects Townsend to the Sox at 15, another guy many say should be MLB ready towards the end of the year despite his holdout from last year.

15. Wade Townsend, RHP, Rice Uiversity
Could be a late season contributor in a pennant push.
Tampa has been all over Townsend for the past month and a half. Barring someone falling that shouldn't have, I'd be SHOCKED if they pick anyone other than Wade Townsend.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Tampa has been all over Townsend for the past month and a half. Barring someone falling that shouldn't have, I'd be SHOCKED if they pick anyone other than Wade Townsend.
It's draft day Randar, what's your prediction for #15?
Old 06-07-2005, 11:22 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
It's draft day Randar, what's your prediction for #15?
Hard to get a read on the Sox this year. I think Carillo is the most polished of the 3 of Broadway, Bogusevic and Carillo, but I'm frankly not enthralled with any of them...

I wish the Sox had all those picks they had last year again. This is a very strong draft IMO in the late first through the second rounds.

Whoever gets Taylor Teagarden is going to get a steal if he last to the supplemental round...

Bogusevic projects better than Broadway or Carillo, but Carillo probably is the best pitcher of the bunch today.

Last edited by Randar68; 06-07-2005 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

Interesting tidbit....

The Twins get 8% of the first 84 players. They have 7 picks in the first 3 rounds (including supplemental picks).
Old 06-07-2005, 11:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Hard to get a read on the Sox this year. I think Carillo is the most polished of the 3 of Broadway, Bogusevic and Carillo, but I'm frankly not enthralled with any of them...

I wish the Sox had all those picks they had last year again. This is a very strong draft IMO in the late first through the second rounds.

Whoever gets Taylor Teagarden is going to get a steal if he last to the supplemental round...

Bogusevic projects better than Broadway or Carillo, but Carillo probably is the best pitcher of the bunch today.
MLB.com has us taking Carrillo, but says we might take Bogusevic because of our "lack of left handed pitching". What are they talking about? I don't agree with that in the least, if anything I think we need some more right handed pitching.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
MLB.com has us taking Carrillo, but says we might take Bogusevic because of our "lack of left handed pitching". What are they talking about? I don't agree with that in the least, if anything I think we need some more right handed pitching.
Isn't that a little old?

If anything, I hope they look at the best player on the board. We have holes everywhere but OF really, and I would not be upset taking RHP or a position player to be honest. I do think LHP is down the list of needs, but everyone needs pitching and good LH'd pitching is a premium, so...
Old 06-07-2005, 11:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Isn't that a little old?

If anything, I hope they look at the best player on the board. We have holes everywhere but OF really, and I would not be upset taking RHP or a position player to be honest. I do think LHP is down the list of needs, but everyone needs pitching and good LH'd pitching is a premium, so...
Well, the article is listed as having today's date. Maybe they recycled it.

Anyway, I hope we go a little pitching heavy this year, we'll need to replenish the system after we trade away a couple of our better prospects during our World Series drive....

Old 06-07-2005, 11:59 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
As a Texas educator, my reaction to your statement is....

As for the pick, I really don't know enough, but hope they go for the best player available, regardless of position.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.