White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2005, 09:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Sox Want C Jeff Clement in the 1st Round

Want Clement
Quote:
On the clock: With the First-Year Player Draft just two days away, White Sox senior director of player personnel Duane Shaffer said Sunday that a field of 600 players on the team's board will be narrowed down to focus on the South Siders' top two picks during meetings in Chicago. Jeff Clement, a standout catcher from USC, would be the White Sox's ideal first-round pick, filling both a need and the title of best player available.

But Clement is unlikely to last until the White Sox's No. 15 pick. The desire for a catcher, though, doesn't mean the White Sox will pass up other players they have ranked higher just to fill a thin spot in the organization. The goal is to draft an impact player, much like Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney have been in the Minor Leagues, or a player who could make an impact through a trade, such as shortstop Michael Morse (3rd round, 2000) as part of the Freddy Garcia deal.

"I don't think you can draft for need," Shaffer said. "Don't take a lesser player for a need. We got a pretty good right-handed pitcher in Freddy because of the draft. That's why you take the best guy."

Shaffer mentioned that pitching isn't a priority in the draft, although the White Sox are likely to select a pitcher in the first round if Clement isn't available. But pitching usually is the draft's strength, according to Shaffer.
I would rather them draft a pitcher (hard-thrower) than a catcher but I could live with Clement being drafted.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Based on what I've heard, Clement is a pipe-dream.

But if Wayne Townsend falls to the Sox, would we draft him and if we did, would we be able to sign him? I know he was pretty highly-touted last year, but his stock has fallen due to signability.
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Old 06-05-2005, 09:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Who is his agent?
Old 06-05-2005, 10:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

I want Carillo.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRowand
I want Carillo.
That's the kid from U of Miami, right?
Old 06-06-2005, 12:19 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRKARNO
Based on what I've heard, Clement is a pipe-dream.

But if Wayne Townsend falls to the Sox, would we draft him and if we did, would we be able to sign him? I know he was pretty highly-touted last year, but his stock has fallen due to signability.
Townsend is signable, his agent is not Boras. There were extenuating circumstances with him not signing last year. (too lazy to go over them again now)

Clement makes me nervous. He's a poor defensive catcher (passable for a collegiate catcher) and likely ends up at 1st IMO.

I would be happy with Wade Townsend. Carillo? no thanks, not at #15. That would be a bad pick IMO.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Carillo? no thanks, not at #15. That would be a bad pick IMO.
What are your concerns Randar? From what I've seen of the kid, he looks very projectable. His motion may need some refinement, but he definitely has good "stuff".
Old 06-06-2005, 11:28 AM
WSI Personality

I would pass on Carillo as well. I think he is close to his ceiling now whereas others in the draft have room to improve. A couple mock drafts I've seen have us going with Carrillo or Bogusevic, in which case I'd like Bogusevic. I don't think the Sox go that route though because they were so left-handed heavy last year. Bogusevic would be a tough one to let go by though. TCU right hander, Lance Broadway's stock is soaring. Solid fastball and one of the drafts best curveballs.

Last edited by Fungo; 06-06-2005 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:50 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
What are your concerns Randar? From what I've seen of the kid, he looks very projectable. His motion may need some refinement, but he definitely has good "stuff".
Jim Parque Jr. Not sure why, I just have that bad gut feeling. I would pass.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:12 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Well, he's small like Parque if I recall correctly. Maybe that's it.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:13 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungo
I would pass on Carillo as well. I think he is close to his ceiling now whereas others in the draft have room to improve. A couple mock drafts I've seen have us going with Carrillo or Bogusevic, in which case I'd like Bogusevic. I don't think the Sox go that route though because they were so left-handed heavy last year. Bogusevic would be a tough one to let go by though.
I saw Bogusevic in a regional game when he was pitching/playing for DeLaSalle against Oak Park. I can't believe he's already at draft eligible stage. Amazing how time flies. He's also a two-way guy, like Whistler. Intriguing in that way and that he prepped right across the Dan Ryan. When's the last time we had a DeLaSalle guy on the roster?
Old 06-06-2005, 02:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Really? While Carillo is a bit light, he's like 3 or 4 inches taller than butter was. Heck, his height/ratio is better than McCarthy's. But yeah, he is a bit on the thin side.

Do you know if he's been overused?
Old 06-06-2005, 06:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Townsend is signable, his agent is not Boras. There were extenuating circumstances with him not signing last year. (too lazy to go over them again now)

Clement makes me nervous. He's a poor defensive catcher (passable for a collegiate catcher) and likely ends up at 1st IMO.

I would be happy with Wade Townsend. Carillo? no thanks, not at #15. That would be a bad pick IMO.
My only concern with Townsend is all this time off. I heard he was only throwing 85 during a session a little while ago. Even though he is a Boras guy, I wouldn't mind taking P Mike Pelfrey (Wichita St.) if he falls to us (I highly doubt he will).
Old 06-06-2005, 11:32 PM
WSI Prelate

I'd love to get a shot at that kid Hansen, the closer. I read somewhere that they think he might be MLB ready by the end of this season. It would be awful nice to add a kid who can pitch down the stretch.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRowand
My only concern with Townsend is all this time off. I heard he was only throwing 85 during a session a little while ago. Even though he is a Boras guy, I wouldn't mind taking P Mike Pelfrey (Wichita St.) if he falls to us (I highly doubt he will).
I have yet to see a mock draft where either of those two fell to us. I'd love to see it!!!