Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2005, 04:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default memo to Nancy Faust re: "Kiss Him Goodbye"

The song should be played ONLY when we legitimately knock out a pitcher. It sounds ridiculous when it's played when a pitcher who has shut us down gets taken out of the game like today. Knock it off! Please play it only when appropriate.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF
The song should be played ONLY when we legitimately knock out a pitcher. It sounds ridiculous when it's played when a pitcher who has shut us down gets taken out of the game like today. Knock it off! Please play it only when appropriate.
I always say that. The song loses its meaning when played at inappropriate intervals. I'll never forget once a couple years back when we were losing something like 3-0 and being 1-hit. IIRC, the opposing pitcher had to be taken out (injury, maybe?), but as he was walking off the field, Nancy started playing the song. Yeah, we really showed him!!

C'mon Nancy. Love ya and everything but get real.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Banned

Yeah, I'll agree, good call. It's played on three seperate occasions...HR, a win and change of pitcher. It's kind of lost it's appeal. It seems noone sings it anymore. The only time the crowd really gets into it is during a rally and a change of pitchers. It sounds beautiful when the house is full and the crowd is into it though.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:56 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Agreed. Plus, she only played one verse. What's the point?
Old 06-05-2005, 06:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26
That one verse limit bothers the heck out of me. I love the song, but if only one verse it's not much fun.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26
Let me get this straight. You agreed that playing the song when the pitcher who has kicked Sox ass all day gets taken out, and then you complain that she only played one verse?

That's like complaining about the restaurant where the food is no good, plus the portions are so small.

SMO
Old 06-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Banned

I agree, the fans make even sound more stupid when they sing along to it.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:58 PM
WSI High Priest

It's tradition. Whenever a pitcher leaves a game, regardless of the situation, I want this song played.

Let Nancy do her thing, and just count your blessings that we have the best organist in the game.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:39 PM
Brrrrooooowwwwffffffff!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney
It's tradition. Whenever a pitcher leaves a game, regardless of the situation, I want this song played.

Let Nancy do her thing, and just count your blessings that we have the best organist in the game.
And since her contract is up after this season, pray that Brooks Boyer has the sense to rehire her.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:20 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillMissOzzie
Let me get this straight. You agreed that playing the song when the pitcher who has kicked Sox ass all day gets taken out, and then you complain that she only played one verse?
I believe she only plays one verse now no matter what. I remember back in the early 80s when she would play the whole song after a pitching change and then go right into "Run Around Sue" for the entire length of the new pitcher's warm up tosses. I can't remember the last time I've heard that at a game.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney

Thank you. Hell, I would sing it when Sabathia left 'cause I was happy that he left and couldn't wait to get to the pen.

Quote:
And since her contract is up after this season, pray that Brooks Boyer has the sense to rehire her.
Amen.
Quote:
I believe she only plays one verse now no matter what. I remember back in the early 80s when she would play the whole song after a pitching change and then go right into "Run Around Sue" for the entire length of the new pitcher's warm up tosses. I can't remember the last time I've heard that at a game.
I miss this also. Maybe on June 22nd we'll get to hear it again!
Old 06-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Banned

I was thinking Run Around Sue also. She could play that during times Na Na Hey hey is not appropriate. I don't recall that song being played at the new park. I have the last night game on tape and she plays it that night. I'm not sure if many fans would even now what to do if she played it. One afternoon I went up to her and told her I missed that and the Alabama song. She replied, "I forgot about those."
Old 06-05-2005, 11:14 PM
WSI High Priest

I wish it were played 3 times or so so the crowd would be able to get into it. What good is one round? By the time I notice its being played, its over and everyone is out of sync. Its a really cool chant that could be kept going during warm-ups for the next pitcher.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I would never tell Michelangelo how to paint. I would never tell my Doctor how to operate on me. And I will never tell Nancy how to play the organ.

She is the best there is. The best there was. And the best there ever will be. (With all due respect to Brett Hart)
Old 06-06-2005, 01:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

agreed on the sadness of the one verse limit. i would bet the reason no one seems to sing any more is that, by the time people get started, it's over. the die hards all sing it, but the newbies need a second verse or so to join in.

personally, the key is a little high for me