White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2005, 12:32 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1
Two, the kid pitcher tonight for the Angels made his MLB debut last week versus Cleveland. They didn't seem to have any trouble with him. In his first major-league start last week, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim right-hander Ervin Santana gave up a single, double, triple and home run to the first four Cleveland Indians he faced.

This was a flat out awful performance worthy of the lifeless games that were frequent in 2003 and 2004.

In the past those Sox clubs would go in a funk and tank the next two or three games...we'll see how they respond Tuesday since they may have been jet lagged.

Lip
Santana was a very highly touted prospect. He did tonight what many already thought him capable of doing. That game against CLE was an embarressment to Ervin and may have provided some motivation for his dominance tonight. Basically, it'd be similar to faulting the sCrUBS for not being able to hit McCarthy instead of just tipping their cap to the fact that McCarthy has the talent to shut down an offense.

As far as the jet lag, I agree. The Sox had a very sluggish aura to them this evening.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:37 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
A few points.....

If the Sox make the post season as the #1 seed there is a good chance they'll be meeting the Angels in the first round. Just something to remember considering the Sox are now an impotent 3-16 in Anaheim since the start of the 2001 season.

Two, the kid pitcher tonight for the Angels made his MLB debut last week versus Cleveland. They didn't seem to have any trouble with him. In his first major-league start last week, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim right-hander Ervin Santana gave up a single, double, triple and home run to the first four Cleveland Indians he faced.

This was a flat out awful performance worthy of the lifeless games that were frequent in 2003 and 2004.

In the past those Sox clubs would go in a funk and tank the next two or three games...we'll see how they respond Tuesday since they may have been jet lagged.

Lip
Where are the numbers about how miserable the Angels have been here? They have been as brutal as we have been there in the last five seasons.

The kid pitched well tonight. I could care less what Cleveland did against him. He looked fantastic tonight.

FWIW, no road teams were victorious tonight. I'll chalk this one up to having an emotional let down after a tough series and a long flight. I expect a far different result tomorrow.

Minny lost at fourth-place Cleveland while we took a loss to a first-place squad. Hardly a lost night.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:43 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHISOXFAN13
So you'd rather use Polite and Marte in a game where it's clear the offense is not going to score three runs to get back into it?
Be careful, man. You're sounding reasonable. People do not seem to understand that Ozzie has to use all 25 men on his roster. It's a 162-game season. We can't ask Politte and Marte to pitch in middle relief every day. If Vizcaino and Shingo both continue to struggle, we'll be in the market for a right-handed middle reliever in July.

Middle relief and the middle of our batting order are the two weaknesses we have right now. On the latter point, help is on the way in the form of Frank Thomas. I'm sure KW can make a deal to shore up the bullpen, if need be. I haven't lost faith in Vizcaino yet. He has good stuff. Coop just needs to find a way to help him harness it, and that needs to happen quickly. Another two weeks or so of this, and I'll be calling for a change.

I'm not worried about Uribe. He's always been a streaky hitter. His main job is defense anyway, and if we're relying on our No. 9 hitter for run production, then shame on us. Crede continues to perplex. I don't know what the hell we should do with him.

Tonight was a terrible game, but the most important thing is how the Sox respond tomorrow. We've got our ace on the mound. Let's get a win.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHISOXFAN13
So you'd rather use Polite and Marte in a game where it's clear the offense is not going to score three runs to get back into it?
no, but what I'm saying is if crede holds on to the ball, we get out of the inning. So say that LAA scores later and it's the 8th inning and LAA is winning 1 or 2 to nothing, Ozzie would still bring in vizz the fizz and cotts 1st thing out of the pen. Haven't you been watching the games this season? If you're so concerned about 'burning up' politte and marte, I think attention should be brought towards replacing vizz the fizz and cotts (package trade or release) and get the best minor league pitcher to fill in when we're losing 4-0 or winning 4-0. That's all I'm saying.

2014: 1-1
Old 05-24-2005, 12:45 AM
Chief Geek - Security Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palpidious
how dense can ya be to take something like that literally. i guess that's the difference between you and myself. i demand success. you shrug you shoulders and say "oh well" and that kind of attitude doesn't register with me.
No, you write ridiculous crap and then act like a complete assclown to defend the drivel you have posted. See you later.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:45 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Plus, we have to see the faces of Brian Daubach and Rick White. I'm still trying to pretend that those guys never existed.
Best reply of the night.

All in all, offense just didnt have it tonite, if everyone is gonna freak out everytime this team has a low offensive output, then your in for a very long season.

But you can officially add Vizcaino to the list that includes Joe Crede of Sox Players that are officially sucking right now. I figured he might could work out of it, but he just looks terrible out there, the only thing he can throw for a strike is a slider.

Mark will go out and turn it around for us tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:48 AM

Quote:
A few points.....

If the Sox make the post season as the #1 seed there is a good chance they'll be meeting the Angels in the first round. Just something to remember considering the Sox are now an impotent 3-16 in Anaheim since the start of the 2001 season.

Lip
Well done, Lip!! That's your first psychotic flip out in a while. It's good to have you back!!
Old 05-24-2005, 12:51 AM
WSI Regular

I'm not worried about bouncing back. The Sox have done it all year.

I believe this was only the second game this year without holding a lead. Amazing.

In the 14 losses:

6 were by 1 run
3 by 2 runs
2 by 3 runs
2 by 4 runs
1 by 6 runs

That is beyond outstanding.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarWestChicago
No, you write ridiculous crap and then act like a complete assclown to defend the drivel you have posted. See you later.
He gawn.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:59 AM
WSI Personality

"Mercy! Palpidious,I haaaaaaaaaaaate when you analyze!"
Old 05-24-2005, 01:13 AM
Banned

This west coast thing is just ridiculous. It looked like we were going to turn it around this year while we had a three run lead during the second game in Oakland...then another three run lead...then we all know how that series turned out. Please no one bring up the phrase "jet lag." This is a baseball team. All they do is fly. It takes about 3 and a half hours to get to the West coast from Chicago and they've just been home for like two weeks without flying at all. The reason is it's in their heads that they can't win on the west coast.

Our bullpen doesn't look too promising now. We have three guys that simply can't be trusted. I hope KW is thinking mid season trade for another dominant setup man, which would push Cotts down to the minors and Vizcaino into strictly mop-up duties until he proves he's worth a crap. Seriously, he sucks.

The good thing is we can still muster a winning record in California if we win the next three. We always tagged Colon pretty good. Let's get that fat slob tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmanZoSo
We always tagged Colon pretty good. Let's get that fat slob tomorrow.
Tell us how you really feel about Fatolo.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Garland should never pitch in southern California. He always seems to have problems. 11 hits in seven innings. Plus a walk that eventually scored.

Crede turned perhaps the best throw from the outfiled this year into poop. The ball hit his glove while the runner was still ten feet away. Catch the ball, lay on the tag and we're out of the inning.

Uribe made another one of his patented wild throws to first base, Thankfully, Garland was able to work around it.

Uribe and Crede combined to provide the offensive black hole of Calcutta. They are a combined 5 for 69 of late. Neither has done much since the Baltimore series.

I know the kid, Santanna was horrible in Cleveland, but tonight he was verrrry good. Good pitching beats good hitting, and it whips anemic hitting. The Angels hitting has been worse than ours, which further shows how much more that kid was on his game than Garland.

Timo got one hit, Konerko and Gooch both got two. Timo played good defense and made a heck of a good throw. I don't love Timo, but he shouldn't be castigated for his actions tonight.

We got out pitched, out hit, and out fielded tonight. We deserved to lose.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:15 AM
WSI Personality

The bottom line tonite was that the Sox, besides Garland, T.I. & Konerko,looked AWFUL!! I was absolutely embarassed as a Sox fan to see us get shutout by a rookie in his 2nd start, especially after he got rocked in his 1st, by the Tribe no less. I blame this loss on Ozzie tonite. Putting Timo in center is completely inexcusable!! Considering the fact the Pods is a much better option, and that Garland's win streak was on the line.....I guarantee that Rowand would have caught the ball hit by Cabrera, and POSSIBLY Kennedy's, those hits changed the game right there by giving the rookie a lead to work with. If this team is suppose to be built around pitching and defense than that was a major miscue by Guillen. I know it's ONLY 1 game, but i don't think we should be giving away ANY games right now, especially with the Twinks hot on our tail. I just hope the way we played tonite was a result of jetlag, and hopefully we can chalk up a W tomorrow night with Buehrle on the mound.

Last edited by CYGarland20; 05-24-2005 at 02:22 AM.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead
I don't know about everyone else but I am tired of Vizcaino not doing the job. Apparently, he needs more work perhaps he can work out the kinks in the Minors.

P.S. I know he did not blow the game tonight.
I agree that it is appropriate to rip on Vizcaino for allowing one run, but if you're throwing around blame, you must also mention Joey Crede for allowing 2 runs to score. Crede muffed an easy one-hop from Timo Perez. Had Crede caught the bouncer and tagged the runner out, zero runs would have scored because it would have been the third out of the inning in which two Anaheim runs scored. But because Crede got scared hearing the footsteps, the ***** dropped the ball that hit his glove.

Crede sucks and he is now hitting in the .240s in May despite a good two week stretch.

Crede's defense is good. He's a Gold Glover. He makes all the plays. waaaaaa