White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2005, 11:30 PM
WSI Regular

Default McCarthy's Debut

I was moving into a new apartment for my internship in Twin Falls, ID and I didn't get to watch McCarthy's debut. What was he hitting on the gun? How did he look? Any expert comments?
Old 05-23-2005, 01:37 AM
Official Professor

I would have commented, but you asked for expert opinions.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 05-23-2005, 08:50 AM
WSI Regular

No expert here either, but I did watch the game and Brandon was hitting the low 90's. He pitched rather well and I wish Ozzie would have let him finish the 6th inning. He wasn't fazzed at all by the big crowd.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:16 AM
WSI Regular

Sorry guys, I guess the questions weren't clear. The any expert comments was meant to be a separate question from the other two. I'm looking for any comments at all.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:49 AM
Banned

McCarthy kept the Cubs pretty much off-balance with only two pitches, his fastball and his slider. I didn't see any change-ups and I think he used more of a curve grip on some of his sliders. Although DJ seemed down on his effort, I think it was great game calling by A.J. The kid was a little pumped up and if there is one pitch that is going to sail on a pumped up kid, it's his change. His hard stuff was working and only Ramirez seemed to have him pegged. Lee was getting to him and honestly, I think Ozzie made the right move yanking him when he did. Second guessing, okay maybe it was wrong to bring Vizcaino in. Relief pitchers have off days to and he didn't pitch that bad. But Viz did get the loss. McCarthy did a heck of a job and I look forward to his next effort against Texas.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

I thought he did very well. As expected he had trouble early. However, he worked through the trouble relatively untouched. He was getting better as the game wore on. I was sitting just off center from home plate and only about 15 rows back. He was absolutely fooling some of those hitters. While overall it was not a HOF performance I think there were a lot of positives you could take out of this. I feel good about his future.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:18 PM
WSI Regular

McCarthy did really well on Sunday. He looked in control and was hitting his spots. The factor that is being most overlooked about this start that impressises me is that he is a born and raised sox fan who gets his first start against the cubs best pitcher in 10 years. What south-side kid didn't dream of this situation.

He comes out and is just nasty. For a 21 year old southsider there would only be one bigger game to start and that's in the WS.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondafarm
McCarthy kept the Cubs pretty much off-balance with only two pitches, his fastball and his slider. I didn't see any change-ups and I think he used more of a curve grip on some of his sliders.
Well, that would be great if McCarthy threw a slider... which he doesn't. Fastball, Curve, and Change. That's it. He adds and subtracts on the fastball and get's a lot of movement inside to righties when he drops it into the 88 mph range...
Old 05-23-2005, 07:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by na_na_na_na
McCarthy did really well on Sunday. He looked in control and was hitting his spots. The factor that is being most overlooked about this start that impressises me is that he is a born and raised sox fan who gets his first start against the cubs best pitcher in 10 years. What south-side kid didn't dream of this situation.

He comes out and is just nasty. For a 21 year old southsider there would only be one bigger game to start and that's in the WS.
Brandon McCarthy is from Southern California, not the South Side.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:02 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Brandon McCarthy is from Southern California, not the South Side.
With a little Colorado Springs thrown in for flavor.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Of the sixteen outs he got, six were strikeouts, one was a failed bunt, and nine were popups/fly outs. No ground outs off his pitching.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensmouth
Of the sixteen outs he got, six were strikeouts, one was a failed bunt, and nine were popups/fly outs. No ground outs off his pitching.
He's a bit of a flyball pitcher, and frankly, when I walked into Wrigley and saw the wind blowing out, I figured he'd have given up 2-3 wind-blown HR's int he game... I thought he did a great job...
Old 05-23-2005, 08:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
He's a bit of a flyball pitcher, and frankly, when I walked into Wrigley and saw the wind blowing out, I figured he'd have given up 2-3 wind-blown HR's int he game... I thought he did a great job...
We're in total agreement. I just hope he never needs a double play.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:49 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Well, that would be great if McCarthy threw a slider... which he doesn't. Fastball, Curve, and Change. That's it. He adds and subtracts on the fastball and get's a lot of movement inside to righties when he drops it into the 88 mph range...
He gets a lot of movement on his fastball, and can cut it both ways. He needs to develop it, it is not all there yet.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:25 PM
WSI High Priest

He works the inside corner really well at all speeds, which is great for a youngster--shows he's not afraid to claim ownership of the plate.