White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2005, 09:18 AM
WSI Prelate

Default Bullpen help just a phone call away?

I want the opinions of the "experts," not the knee-jerk brigades on this one.

IMHO, the "weakest link" in the Sox bullpen is long relief (the loss to Texas, where Vizcaino and Politte pitched well, is a notable exception). If the starter gets torched early and Ozzie pulls him, he has a tendency to burn through his bullpen. Seems to me the Sox need someone who could go four or five or even six innings in relief if needed.

Barring injury that would bring him here sooner, would it be advisable to bring up Brandon McCarthy mid-season to pitch long relief? Something tells me his ability to get strikeouts would be just what the Sox need in a long reliever. Then, if the injury bug should bite Hernandez or another starter, McCarthy's already with the Sox and ready to go. He also could spot start if one of the starters goes through a "dead arm" phase.

Would there be any downside to the Sox or to McCarthy to do so?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

There's probably no reason why we couldn't do it at the end of the season, Buehrle was up in 2000 as a reliever and it seemed to be a valuable lesson. But Brandon needs innings and experience, so I would think that he's going to be in AAA for pretty much the entire season unless one of our starters goes down.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:05 AM
WSI Personality

...agree with rdivaldi. This is McCarthy's first full season pitching higher than Class A, so he definitely needs the innings and experience against better hitters before he comes up to the bigs full time. That said, his learning curve at the big-league level will probably be closer to Buehrle's (< 1 year) than Garland's (~ 5 years).
The problem with being a long reliever is that if your starters are all pitching well there aren't a whole lot of innings to be had (as Cotts is finding out), and I'd rather have McCarthy pitching every 5th day than sitting around waiting for the starters to get rocked and maybe filling in with an inning or two here and there.
If one of our starters doesn't make it out of the 2nd or 3rd inning (which I don't believe has happened yet, but someone can check me), Cotts can give us 4 or 5 solid innings of relief, as he has been a starter in the past. But let's hope that doesn't happen often, if at all...
Camden Yards: 4-5 ; Yankee Stadium: 3-2 ; Jacobs Field: 2-0 ; Skydome: 1-0 ; Comerica Park: 1-0 ; Milwaukee County Stadium: 3-0 ; The Vet/Citizens Bank: 2-1 ; PNC Park: 1-0 ; Comiskey/The Cell: Definitely over .500...
===> 2014: Now representing Sox army in the 'Cuse...
Old 05-20-2005, 12:28 PM
WSI High Priest

If McCarthy comes up mid-season, it will be to fill in for one of our starters.

Open bullpen slots would be filled by Adkins, Diaz, Baj, or Munoz. While Adkins and Munoz don't look too hot right now, neither did Walker.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:47 PM
WSI Personality

Add to that (the other) Josh Fields and Bobby Jenks. If Jenks' stuff gets back to where it was, he's a potential force in middle relief.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:35 AM
WSI High Priest

In my MVP baseball season, I have B-Mac as the closer (yes I made him...and yes...he's a force). However, that is fantasy land and this is real life. I think finishing the season in Triple A, maybe making one or two more starts in the majors will help him. If we bring up any bullpen help, I vote it to be Bajenaru who is tearing it up this year. He could definitely help our bullpen in any struggles it may have.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie
In my MVP baseball season, I have B-Mac as the closer (yes I made him...and yes...he's a force). However, that is fantasy land and this is real life. I think finishing the season in Triple A, maybe making one or two more starts in the majors will help him. If we bring up any bullpen help, I vote it to be Bajenaru who is tearing it up this year. He could definitely help our bullpen in any struggles it may have.
McCarthy will make 1-2 more starts in place of El Duque if he heals normally, and it's probable we could see him again later in the season if El Duque needs a similar rest.

Bullpen help? I think they'll look for a proven MLB bullpen arm before they turn to Bajenaru, Smith, Jenks, Diaz, etc down the stretch...
Old 05-25-2005, 09:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Bullpen help? I think they'll look for a proven MLB bullpen arm before they turn to Bajenaru, Smith, Jenks, Diaz, etc down the stretch...
Really Randar? I would think that they'd give one of the youngsters a shot to see if we catch some lightning in a bottle. You never know, Baj or Jenks could give us a KRod type boost. It's still early enough to experiment a little.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
Really Randar? I would think that they'd give one of the youngsters a shot to see if we catch some lightning in a bottle. You never know, Baj or Jenks could give us a KRod type boost. It's still early enough to experiment a little.
Neither of those guys are ready to be thrown into a playoff race, IMO. Baj isn't half as talented as K-Rod. Jenks is a different case. Talented as all hell, but he's been a head-case in the past, a cancer according to some, and why do you rush him into the middle of a playoff race. They have the resources to get some legit help, no reason to try to catch lightning in a bottle if you don't have to, that's a high-risk proposition, IMO.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Neither of those guys are ready to be thrown into a playoff race, IMO. Baj isn't half as talented as K-Rod. Jenks is a different case. Talented as all hell, but he's been a head-case in the past, a cancer according to some, and why do you rush him into the middle of a playoff race. They have the resources to get some legit help, no reason to try to catch lightning in a bottle if you don't have to, that's a high-risk proposition, IMO.
I gotcha. Got anyone in mind? I was actually thinking that Lidge would be a good addition, then of course he got battered by the Flubs last night.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
I gotcha. Got anyone in mind? I was actually thinking that Lidge would be a good addition, then of course he got battered by the Flubs last night.
I'd still take Lidge in a heartbeat. No thanks to Dotel. Not sure yet who is going to be available, a bit early yet.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:38 PM
WSI Personality

The price for a quality closer like Lidge would be prohibitive. The back of our bullpen has been pretty good. If we were looking for someone it would be in the mold of Vizcaino, Frank Francisco, etc. a sixth inning-type righthander or a lefthander who was a little more reliable than strike-throwing machine Neal Cotts.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
a sixth inning-type righthander or a lefthander who was a little more reliable than strike-throwing machine Neal Cotts.
Even though I'm not his biggest fan, I think the Cotts bashing goes a little over the top around here. Neal has done a decent enough job keeping us in games. We could be doing a lot worse for the last guy in the bullpen.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:08 PM
WSI Personality

I actually like Cotts, which is why he frustrates me so much. If he could simply repeat his delivery a little more frequently, he could be a serviceable third starter or a very good LH reliever. Until he can do that, however, he can not be used to get a big lefthanded out 6th inning or later with a one or two run lead. A player who could might be valuable in the playoffs.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastSoxFan
If one of our starters doesn't make it out of the 2nd or 3rd inning (which I don't believe has happened yet, but someone can check me), Cotts can give us 4 or 5 solid innings of relief, as he has been a starter in the past. But let's hope that doesn't happen often, if at all...
El Duque didn't make it past the 3rd inning when he pitched vs. Texas last week. I think that is the earliest one of the Sox starters has been pulled all season.

Frank Thomas: the best Sox player there was, and the best Sox player there ever will be! No doubt about it!