White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2005, 12:53 AM
WSI Regular

Default Draft question

I was scanning the official draft order and didn't see anything about the Sox receiving a supplemental pick as compensation for losing Ordonez. What gives? Is this because the Sox didn't offer arbitration or am I missing something?
Old 05-20-2005, 01:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackParkman
I was scanning the official draft order and didn't see anything about the Sox receiving a supplemental pick as compensation for losing Ordonez. What gives? Is this because the Sox didn't offer arbitration or am I missing something?
You are exactly right, it is because the Sox didn't offer arbitration since Boras and Maggs wouldn't let the Sox look at his knee and if he couldn't play this year (weird) we would be on the hook for circa 14 million.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackParkman
Yep, we also don't have a second round pick because of the signing of El Duque.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:17 AM
WSI Personality

The first round of projections are up at Baseball America...

Quote:
The White Sox would prefer a college pitcher, but they have made it clear they won’t have any dealings with Boras. Miami righthander Cesar Carrillo and Tulane lefthander Brian Bogusevic, who both grew up near Chicago, are on the club’s short list.
PROJECTED PICK: Cesar Carrillo.
Carillo by the way lost his first game of the season last night to Clemson.

He picked up the first loss of his near two-year career at Miami, giving up 11 runs on 11 hits with two strikeouts and a walk in three and two-thirds innings. Only five of Carrillo's runs were earned and the Hurricanes committed a season-high six errors. The loss moved Carrillo's season record to 12-1 and halted his consecutive decisions won streak at 24, fourth-best all-time in NCAA history. It was also the first loss the Hurricanes experienced in the 35 times Carrillo has pitched at Miami.

Personally, I hope the Sox take a pass at Carillo, I'm not quite sold on him.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungo
Personally, I hope the Sox take a pass at Carillo, I'm not quite sold on him.
I'm in the same boat, I think...

On a side note, Wes Hodges looked pretty damn good last night in the televised UNC vs. GaTech game. Announcers speculated he might be a first rounder next draft (pats selff on back, LOL!)...
Old 05-24-2005, 04:46 AM
WSI High Priest

I was looking at the draft history in the past few years. It seems like we have a lot of luck picking pitchers in the later rounds (MB, B-Mac). Hopefully Borchard and Anderson make it to the show (again for Borchard). It would be nice to see those top picks pan out. I don't think anyone from the 2001 draft has had a cup of coffee for the sox...or even a sip, although top pick of that draft Kris Honel was on pace for the show until he got injured. I wonder if any of those guys have seen action with other teams?