White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2005, 04:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo
A top 4 of Pods-Iguchi-Helton-Frank would be downright scary-good.
Yep, that is feightening and vastly changes the outlook on offense. All that OBP at the top of the order is unreal, plus power in the 3 and 4 spots and .400+ OBP?

If the 5-7 hitters are even half-way competent, that's a terrifying lineup for pitchers I would think.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Yep, that is feightening and vastly changes the outlook on offense. All that OBP at the top of the order is unreal, plus power in the 3 and 4 spots and .400+ OBP?

If the 5-7 hitters are even half-way competent, that's a terrifying lineup for pitchers I would think.
Add in ARow, Uribe, Everett/Dye, and top it off with Crede & Pierzynski?

"Mercy!"
Old 05-16-2005, 05:08 PM
WSI High Priest

If Rogo can turn some of those 2B into HR, he'll be in business. He's certainly strong enough.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24
Add in ARow, Uribe, Everett/Dye, and top it off with Crede & Pierzynski?
The amazing thing is, they could put out this lineup:

Pods(LH)
Gooch(RH)
Helton(LH)
Frank(RH)
Carl (Switch)
Crede (RH)
AJ (LH)
Uribe (RH)

It is an apposing manager's worst nightmare in terms of bullpen management!

Not to mention the first 4 guys in that order would combine for a near .400 OBP!
Old 05-16-2005, 06:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Another question: If you had to give up either Sweeney or Anderson in a trade for an elite starter or closer, which one would it be?

Am I correct in assuming that Anderson has higher value to other clubs? Can I make him the centerpiece of a deal, package him with less depth or one less player, and get the same return I would get if I packaged Sweeney with more depth or one more player?
Old 05-16-2005, 07:09 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney
Another question: If you had to give up either Sweeney or Anderson in a trade for an elite starter or closer, which one would it be?

Am I correct in assuming that Anderson has higher value to other clubs? Can I make him the centerpiece of a deal, package him with less depth or one less player, and get the same return I would get if I packaged Sweeney with more depth or one more player?
Anderson is a five tool player and a legit CFer, Sweeney is a LFer that would probably be better suited playing first base. Both can hit, but Anderson projects to be a better hitter of the two, Randar would be better able to tell you if one is a better power hitter than the other.

I trade Sweeney first.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver
Anderson is a five tool player and a legit CFer, Sweeney is a LFer that would probably be better suited playing first base. Both can hit, but Anderson projects to be a better hitter of the two, Randar would be better able to tell you if one is a better power hitter than the other.

I trade Sweeney first.
Anderson is more of a sure thing and probably is the better all-around athlete, a true CF'er. Sweeney shows his power potential occassionally, but Sweeney is a right fielder, although I've always been a fan of converting him to first. If Sweeney develops the power potential he has, I think he's a better all-around hitter. That said, Anderson is the better hitter today, plays VERY good defensive CF, and has more power.

One plays a premium position and the other is a question mark to develop the power for either RF or 1st base, where he, IMO is best suited to play defensively.

It's a tough call, but I agree with Daver, I'd probably prefer to trade Sweeney.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney

In some scouting circles, Sweeney has long been thought to be the better prospect. It depends on who you ask, I suppose.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:39 PM
WSI Personality

With 3 hits today, Sweeney's hitting .337 as a 20 year-old in AA. I'm not convinced it's a wise idea to trade him.

Last edited by California Sox; 05-16-2005 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm not eager to see Helton come here. Helton is one of the few players whose numbers would decline sharply at USCF, and he is ridiculously expensive. Trading Konerko (and his salary) for Helton (and his salary) is fair without throwing in any grade A prospects.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica
I'm not eager to see Helton come here. Helton is one of the few players whose numbers would decline sharply at USCF, and he is ridiculously expensive. Trading Konerko (and his salary) for Helton (and his salary) is fair without throwing in any grade A prospects.
Helton's numbers would decline going from Coors to one of the 3 other best hitter's parks in baseball?

How's that?

Nobody is eager to trade any of the top prospects, mind you, but Helton, other than his contract is a VERY good if not great hitter.

His 3-year home-away splits:
Home: .380-62-197 (.480 OBP and 1.181 OPS)
Away: .310-33-125 (.422 OBP and .939 OPS)

I don't know about anyone else, but compared to Konerko, Mr. 6-4-3 rally-killer, Mr. Base clogger, and Mr. half-season, he's worth the difference in salary even if he ONLY puts up his road numbers, which is the low end considering The Cell is almost equivalent to Coors.

Last edited by Randar68; 05-16-2005 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:01 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver
Paul's replacement is playing in Birmingham, his name is Casey Rogowski.

I don't know that Paul will even be offered arbitration after the season if he does not sign a new contract before that for considerably less money than he is making now.
I tend to agree with Dave on this. However I do think they would at least consider arbitration, although it typically hasn't been the Sox MO. However, hopefully someone would ink him prior to the deadline to offer arb and the Sox would end up with draft picks for Paulie.

However, I do not think Rogo is the necessary answer and that they could just as well opt for Josh Fields. With that in mind I don't expect the Sox to just hand the job to a minor leaguer and considering Frank may be vacating the scene as well, you'd at least see a guy like Erubiel Durazo (who I'm a proponent to picking up over the offseason).

As far as trades go this offseason if you want a Huff or Clemens it will cost you and I don't think Kenny would be able to get away from offering one of the Sox top 4 prospects. Teams know what we have and they'll do there best to get one of the best guys out there.

If I were trading I could tell you who I wouldn't deal. Bmac, Liotta, Gio. Of that group Gio would be the first I'd deal. I'd also deal Tracey ahead of all of them, although I'm a huge fan of Tracey because his arm is so stinking good. On top of that he's got a rubber arm and can be a total horse.

That being said in an ideal situation I'd be dealing from AAA. They got absolutely garbage in terms of high ceiling prospects aside from Bmac and Anderson. Diaz, Munoz, Adkins, even Baj (who I happen to like) would all be guys I'd be dealing. However your not going to get any top notch player for them, but I do think you could get yourself a quality reliever (which this team may just need one more of) for one or two of them and maybe a lower level guy.

In close, don't expect the Sox to make any major moves. I think Ozzie likes this team and if they do, you'll see one of the studs go and the rest will be middle level guys. Oh another guy I'd personally deal is Whisler. I like his upside but he's also much more raw than any of them and due to that it makes him more likely to potentially fail (just in my opinion).

From the other side if I were dealing with Kenny and wanted some mid level prospects I'd be looking at Haigwood big time.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:05 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Anderson is more of a sure thing and probably is the better all-around athlete, a true CF'er. Sweeney shows his power potential occassionally, but Sweeney is a right fielder, although I've always been a fan of converting him to first. If Sweeney develops the power potential he has, I think he's a better all-around hitter. That said, Anderson is the better hitter today, plays VERY good defensive CF, and has more power.

One plays a premium position and the other is a question mark to develop the power for either RF or 1st base, where he, IMO is best suited to play defensively.

It's a tough call, but I agree with Daver, I'd probably prefer to trade Sweeney.
I pretty much agree with both of your assessments. Of the two I'd say Sweeney is more likely to one day win a batting title while Anderson is more likely to consistently hit for 30 HR's. However, I believe Sweeney (upside wise) has the ability to be a better defensive version of Garret Anderson (and thats not a bad thing). I even think he'll have a similar arrival in the sense the first few years he'll be more of an average hitter and will slowly but surely get a little more agressive and start picking and choosing situations to pull (this is what GA is always talking about) and you'll see his power numbers climb.

Safer bet at this point Anderson...although a year ago I'd of told you Sweeney but Anderson has proved me wrong by hitting in AAA (From all I saw of him I thought he still had a little more work to do in AA). I'll gladly be wrong though
Old 05-17-2005, 09:07 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Nobody is eager to trade any of the top prospects, mind you, but Helton, other than his contract is a VERY good if not great hitter.

His 3-year home-away splits:
Home: .380-62-197 (.480 OBP and 1.181 OPS)
Away: .310-33-125 (.422 OBP and .939 OPS)

I don't know about anyone else, but compared to Konerko, Mr. 6-4-3 rally-killer, Mr. Base clogger, and Mr. half-season, he's worth the difference in salary even if he ONLY puts up his road numbers, which is the low end considering The Cell is almost equivalent to Coors.
Randar, I tend to agree with you. However, do you think Helton would have any trouble making the switch from the NL to the AL? Put another way, is the AL tougher for hitters than the NL?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica
I agree and disagree with you. Anyone's #s will decline from Coors, but as already posted - he's still a topnotch hitter away from home. And in USCF (aka Coors East), he'll put up excellent #s (and batting around Pods-Iguchi-Frank? scary.).

However, given his contract, if the Sox will take it on - they won't have to give back much in terms of prospects. But in that scenario, they won't make the deal because I can't see them taking on 16-19mil/yr through 2011. If you want Colorado to pick up a decent chunk of the deal, you need to send over some talent.

In terms of which talent, obviously BMac is off limits (pitching always is), and I'd say Gio's the next guy I want to keep. Offensively, it's a choice between Anderson & Sweeney. Based on the Sox having Pods & ARow locked in for a while and the relative speed with which Anderson will be coming up, I'd make Sweeney the guy to deal. Barring injury/collapse, the potential slot for him is 1B, and I'll take Helton in a heartbeat.

But it's all most likely moot because that's a big contract and/or a big chunk of change for the Rockies to send over.