White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2005, 01:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Trib on the draft

linky

Shaffer was quoted as saying:
Quote:
There are about seven guys we've seriously identified for that first pick. Three are high school players and four college kids. That's a pretty good mix.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm all for taking college players. I don't know if Cesar Carillo from Miami will be available at #15, but I would like to take him. Some of the top players like shortstop Tyler Greene (Georgia Tech) and pitcher Mike Pelfrey (Wichita St.) are represtented by Boras, so they could fall, although I doubt the Sox would take them and I wouldn't want them to. It's stupid to take a player who hasn't played and inning of pro ball and give him all that money.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:14 AM
Banned

Post Caesar Carillo

I agree with Carillo!! He throws 94- 96 MPH consistently, a great curve, good slider and an excellent change! He is a BIG TIME BIG GAME PITCHER!! He is undefeated the last two years, not just one year!! He won all of his starts in the College World Series for Miami, and he even pitched in relief and has earned saves last year and this year. He is also a smart kid, B student and he works very hard. But best of all, he is a Sox fan, south sider and former Mt Carmel graduate. Mt. Carmel has many great professional athletes, but better people, now and in the past. The last Mt Carmel pitcher drafted in the first round of the MLB draft was a pretty good player, but he did end up with some character flaws later on in life. I think his baseball skill outweighed his problems, though, because he was the last pitcher to win 30 games in the Major Leagues.... Denny McClain!!! Not bad and McClain won a few World series games, too. Which is what we want the most!! The last Mt Carmel first round pick in the draft altogether was Erik Pappas and he played well with the Flubbies(whom he hated! growing up in Beverly on the south side), Cardinals, Angels and 2004 Greek Olympic Team when he got the opportunity. He was drafted in 1984 by the Angels as a catcher in round one as the ninth pick overall.
I think Carillo would be a great and logical choice if he is available, so good idea, good scouting and good callChiSoxRowand!!! You know your baseball, that's for sure!!!!

GO SOX!!!!
Old 05-05-2005, 08:32 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chez742002
I agree with Carillo!! He throws 94- 96 MPH consistently, a great curve, good slider and an excellent change! He is a BIG TIME BIG GAME PITCHER!! He is undefeated the last two years, not just one year!! He won all of his starts in the College World Series for Miami, and he even pitched in relief and has earned saves last year and this year. He is also a smart kid, B student and he works very hard. But best of all, he is a Sox fan, south sider and former Mt Carmel graduate. Mt. Carmel has many great professional athletes, but better people, now and in the past. The last Mt Carmel pitcher drafted in the first round of the MLB draft was a pretty good player, but he did end up with some character flaws later on in life. I think his baseball skill outweighed his problems, though, because he was the last pitcher to win 30 games in the Major Leagues.... Denny McClain!!! Not bad and McClain won a few World series games, too. Which is what we want the most!! The last Mt Carmel first round pick in the draft altogether was Erik Pappas and he played well with the Flubbies(whom he hated! growing up in Beverly on the south side), Cardinals, Angels and 2004 Greek Olympic Team when he got the opportunity. He was drafted in 1984 by the Angels as a catcher in round one as the ninth pick overall.
I think Carillo would be a great and logical choice if he is available, so good idea, good scouting and good callChiSoxRowand!!! You know your baseball, that's for sure!!!!

GO SOX!!!!
Would Carillo fall to 15?
Old 05-05-2005, 08:39 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack
Would Carillo fall to 15?
Very doubtful.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:19 PM
WSI Personality

BA projects Carillo going in the late first round to the sandwich round. If anything he'd be a bit of a reach at 15, due to perceptions about his lack of size/durability. Now, he might have zoomed up the draft board since their last projection, but I think he'll be there at 15.

There's another Southsider available in the first round, Tulane"s LHP/OF Brian Bogusevic. It would be nice to add another Sox fan to the organization.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver
Very doubtful.
I personally think he'll be there at 15, as I feel he's a late first rounder.

However, IMO you take the guys with the highest ceilings in the 1st round. The Sox have holes at 1B and you can never draft enough catchers, SS, and OF'ers, along with always needing pitching. They went LH-pitching-heavy last year and that is a weakness in this draft. Would like to see them take a signability pick and fork over the CASH (Weaver or Drew) We'll see. It's too early to start projecting with any real accuracy, but I really doubt they go the signability pick route.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:29 PM
WSI Personality

I like Troy Tulowitzki, ss, Long Beach State & Stephen Head, 1b, Mississippi. Head should be around at 15, Tulowitzki is a possibility depending on some of the high schoolers.

One pitcher I really like is Zach Ward, rhp, Gardner-Webb. Although he is from a small school, he was one of the top RHP in the Cape last year. Power right hander with great make-up. Should go within the first 40 picks, but probably doesn't warrant a number 15 overall. Most likely gone by the time our third rounder comes around.