Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2005, 11:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Default Thoughts from last nites game at The Cell

It was pretty chilly last nite, not exactly baseball weather.
The attendance suffered accordingly, but there was a definite VIBE
at the park last nite and of the people that were there, we sure sounded
like 40,000. One of the many reasons I think SOX fans are some of
the most loyal and vocal fans in baseball.
" The 2006 White Sox..... simply didn't have the hunger of the Twins or Tigers" - SunTimes columnist and SOX fan Richard Roeper
Old 05-04-2005, 11:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

i was there too, and i agree it was a pretty energetic crowd. all 6,000 of the true fans who showed, anyway

i hope there are no more games at this temperature again this season, however. 3 in a row is enough for me (friday, sunday, tuesday).
Old 05-04-2005, 12:00 PM
WSI Regular

From watching on TV (The HORRIBLE KC broadcast on Extra Innings) I would have to agree.

The seats looked pretty empty, but the crowd sounded pretty loud, especially the second 15 tagged his 1st MLB home run. I hope the dude who caught that ball did some wheeling and dealing so Tadahito got to keep it.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweflen
i was there too, and i agree it was a pretty energetic crowd. all 6,000 of the true fans who showed, anyway

i hope there are no more games at this temperature again this season, however. 3 in a row is enough for me (friday, sunday, tuesday).
I heard a roar early on while getting a beverage on the UD concourse and thought to myself "We sure are loud for 10,000 people."

Our place will be DEAFENING later in the year.

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Old 05-04-2005, 12:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd_Gen_Sox_Fan
(The HORRIBLE KC broadcast on Extra Innings)
That was brutal. The entire broadcast seemed to be out of focus.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:12 PM
WSI Personality

Just curious, what is the proper response when you get harrassed about your team's lack of attendence? I feel like I'm making excuses when I say it's cold weather. With our team winning like we are, I was hoping to see a better attendence last night.

I'm going to 9-10 games (hopefully a few more) this year, so not sure if I'm helping resolve the problem or contributing to it, but just don't know what to say to defend our lack of attendence.

Other than, it'll take a record like this in June to get big crowds.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoHoosier
Just curious, what is the proper response when you get harrassed about your team's lack of attendence? I feel like I'm making excuses when I say it's cold weather. With our team winning like we are, I was hoping to see a better attendence last night.

I'm going to 9-10 games (hopefully a few more) this year, so not sure if I'm helping resolve the problem or contributing to it, but just don't know what to say to defend our lack of attendence.

Tell them it's better to have 20,000 actual baseball fans than 40,000 drunken morons. Am I wrong for assuming this is directed towards snotty Cubs fans?
Old 05-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Webmaster - French Fryer

Quote:
Just curious, what is the proper response when you get harrassed about your team's lack of attendence? .
Easy.
Chicagoans only support losing baseball teams. In fact the Lovable Losers will bus them in from Iowa and easily clear 3 million, too.

Sox Fans like you and me are the only sensible baseball fans left, and we're vastly outnumbered by idiots.
That ought to work. It works because it's the truth, and the Chicago media is too scared to report it. They don't dare insult the majority of their paying audience.

Chicagoans are baseball idiots. The truth hurts. Now go blow up a cursed baseball, or a billygoat or something...
Old 05-04-2005, 12:28 PM
Banned

My Cub superfan jackass co-worker tried to pull out the attendance thing as well--if we're so great, how come we don't sell out?

I pointed out that you have to be pretty hardcore to go to a game when it's 40 degrees out and drizzly (like me on Sunday). But who cares? I don't want 20,000 "new" fans to start showing up and making it hard for me to get in to see my team.

As for the Cubs, just wait: as they further and further out of it--at this pace they'll be out of the running by the ASB--those tickets are going to become much, much more available.

Plus, in the Lakeview area, you can just get up and walk to a Cubs game because of the location. You have to actually GO to a Sox game (unless you live in Bridgeport).

Back to last night: that WAS a lot of noise from so few fans, nice! I'll be there tonight--hopefully it will be warmer, although we have a skybox AND seats down the 3BL (where I prefer to be). Sweet!

(before you start, it's a once-a-year work thing, that skybox)
Old 05-04-2005, 12:28 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweflen
Tell them it's better to have 20,000 actual baseball fans than 40,000 drunken morons. Am I wrong for assuming this is directed towards snotty Cubs fans?
Actually came from a Red Sox fan who lives in Chicago. I always use the "Wrigley fans" vs. "baseball fans" when I get it from a Cubs person. But, more of when someone who likes baseball for baseball wondering why a winning team like the Sox can't draw a bigger crowd. I hate making the excuse that the park is harder to get to, but it's true.

I like some of your responses so far.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Actually came from a Red Sox fan who lives in Chicago. I always use the "Wrigley fans" vs. "baseball fans" when I get it from a Cubs person. But, more of when someone who likes baseball for baseball wondering why a winning team like the Sox can't draw a bigger crowd. I hate making the excuse that the park is harder to get to, but it's true.

I like some of your responses so far.
Well, the larger, more detailed response involves recounting a history of JR's love/hate relationship with Chicago, media trends over the past 30 years, and pricing demographics.

But the short answer is - The Sox have a smaller but more dedicated fan base. The Cubs have a bunch of fair-weather bandwagon jumpers who prefer getting drunk over watching a baseball game.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Banned

Location is everything.

Had the new Sox park been on the lakefront, as it should have been, it would sell more seats than the Cubs (in good weather at least). Whether the team sucked or not.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Webmaster - French Fryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSoxFan
Location is everything.

Had the new Sox park been on the lakefront, as it should have been, it would sell more seats than the Cubs (in good weather at least). Whether the team sucked or not.
The Urinal is just as close to the lakefront as Sox Park and will be filled with at least a third more fans than the Sox, in spite of all the fish living near the ballpark that Reinsdorf once infamously complained about. Lake Michigan's fish never buy tickets.

Sox Park is easier to get to than the Urinal. Please stop with this excuse. It doesn't hold water.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Banned

wrigley would only have been a little over half full on a similar night. The tickets are sold but in crappy weather this early in the season people don't show up.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

I didn't realize we using attendance numbers, instead of wins, to measure performance. Who cares what some chump who probably doesn't know his a** from a hole in the ground thinks. Tell him it's easy to be a follower....

Robert M. Knight