White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-26-2005, 03:38 PM
California Sox California Sox is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,440
Post Gio #1 on BA's Prospect Hot Sheet

So much for flying under the radar. Here's the link:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...sheet2005.html
__________________
Witness to the agony ('76 Sox season tix) and the ecstasy (2005 World Champions!)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-26-2005, 03:58 PM
Randar68 Randar68 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
So much for flying under the radar. Here's the link:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...sheet2005.html
Good publicity.

I can't imagine how you can leave off Anderson hitting over .320 in AAA starting last year in W-S and Valido hitting .350 in W-S.

Those guys should at least be on honorable mention.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-26-2005, 04:11 PM
kevingrt kevingrt is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Posts: 8,727
Default

Never heard of this kid, but he sounds like a complete gem!
__________________
2014 White Sox Attendance Record: 2-1
Last Game: 5/22 3-2 Win vs Yankees
Next Game: ???

2014 White Sox Concession Tracker:
4 Miller Lite's
3 Half Acre Daisy Cutters
1 Hot Dog
1 Polish

It's gone.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-26-2005, 04:44 PM
Randar68 Randar68 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingrt
Never heard of this kid, but he sounds like a complete gem!
Never heard of him? Do you live in a bunker? LOL! Seriously, though, 1st round supplemental pick out of Miami last year. Was a sure-thing first rounder before he and his brother were kicked off the HS team due to his family's issues with the head coach.

Smaller in stature, has a 90-93 fastball usually and one of the best LH'd curves in the minors. Also throws an overlooked change-up.

They are going to limit his innings and pitches throughout the minors because of durability concerns based on his build, not based on past injury problems.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-26-2005, 05:29 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,872
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
I can't imagine how you can leave off Anderson hitting over .320 in AAA starting last year in W-S and Valido hitting .350 in W-S.

Those guys should at least be on honorable mention.
I'm disappointed to see Rogowski and Liotta left off as well. Both have gotten off to good starts.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Randar68 Randar68 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
I'm disappointed to see Rogowski and Liotta left off as well. Both have gotten off to good starts.
Liotta is still down there, so as he ascends and if he keeps pitching like this, will start making these lists. Unless you were a 1st or 2nd rounder, you'll not often make this list while still playing at the A-level.

For Anderson to be a 1st rounder and doing it at AAA 2 levels above where he started 2004, it's a travesty he's not on it right now.

Casey is playing well, but he's got 24 K's, only 5 BB's, and he's yet to hit a HR or triple, slugging under .500.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-27-2005, 09:13 AM
Flight #24 Flight #24 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Never heard of him? Do you live in a bunker? LOL! Seriously, though, 1st round supplemental pick out of Miami last year. Was a sure-thing first rounder before he and his brother were kicked off the HS team due to his family's issues with the head coach.

Smaller in stature, has a 90-93 fastball usually and one of the best LH'd curves in the minors. Also throws an overlooked change-up.

They are going to limit his innings and pitches throughout the minors because of durability concerns based on his build, not based on past injury problems.
Randar - out of curiosity, how does Gio compare to Jim Parque? The build similarities are obvious, but IIRC Jimmy was also a lefty with decent (low-90s) stuff, but was never a big K guy which Gio seems to be. Jimmy was decent, but never really great, and the durability thing caught up with him pretty quickly. Knock on wood that Gio can stay healthy, but is his "upside" Parque or can we shoot a bit higher?
__________________
"You don't quit. You don't go home before it's time. You don't come out of a game, even if you are in pain and feel as if you can't go one more step"
"Never give up, Never, never, never give up."
- Luther Head after Elite 8 win v. Arizona
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-27-2005, 10:48 AM
Randar68 Randar68 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24
Randar - out of curiosity, how does Gio compare to Jim Parque? The build similarities are obvious, but IIRC Jimmy was also a lefty with decent (low-90s) stuff, but was never a big K guy which Gio seems to be. Jimmy was decent, but never really great, and the durability thing caught up with him pretty quickly. Knock on wood that Gio can stay healthy, but is his "upside" Parque or can we shoot a bit higher?
They're nothing alike, IMO. Parque got by on guts. I hate comparisons based only on physical likeness. Gio has a legit low-90's fastball that has movement, a MUCH better curve than Parque ever had, and I think he has a better feel for pitching, attacking hitters, than Parque did. Parque's "upside" was a #5 pitcher on a contender, IMO.

He's not a potential #1, IMO, because I don't think he could ever give you 230 innings. He might be able to give you 200-215 innings, though, if he can stay healthy in a major league season.

I think he has a chance to be a very good #3 type pitcher, realistically. I could see him giving you 6 innings a start with ~5 K's on average and <2 walks...

Pretty early to project, but it's just a half-ass guess right now. Will be interesting to see. Could be in W-S as early as May 10th.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-27-2005, 10:51 AM
Flight #24 Flight #24 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
They're nothing alike, IMO. Parque got by on guts. I hate comparisons based only on physical likeness. Gio has a legit low-90's fastball that has movement, a MUCH better curve than Parque ever had, and I think he has a better feel for pitching, attacking hitters, than Parque did. Parque's "upside" was a #5 pitcher on a contender, IMO.

He's not a potential #1, IMO, because I don't think he could ever give you 230 innings. He might be able to give you 200-215 innings, though, if he can stay healthy in a major league season.

I think he has a chance to be a very good #3 type pitcher, realistically. I could see him giving you 6 innings a start with ~5 K's on average and <2 walks...

Pretty early to project, but it's just a half-ass guess right now. Will be interesting to see. Could be in W-S as early as May 10th.
Thanks. That "guts" comment on Jimmy is 100% dead-on. That was always his problem, he had no room for error because he plain didn't have the raw talent. Hopefully Gio's got that as well as the mental side of it and can end up as a good # 3-5 in the rotation in a couple of years.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-28-2005, 11:47 AM
jabrch jabrch is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Highland Park, IL
Posts: 15,202
Default

To me, the best Gio comparison is Ramon Ortiz. Smallish, but can bring it. Good movement. Ortiz was very effective while young. Injuries took their toll on him at the bigleague level, but he had and even still has potential. Same for Gio. Great stuff - just need to see it translate as he moves through the system.
__________________
Ha Ha Ha!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-28-2005, 01:23 PM
TaylorStSox TaylorStSox is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Washington & Talman
Posts: 4,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
They're nothing alike, IMO. Parque got by on guts. I hate comparisons based only on physical likeness. Gio has a legit low-90's fastball that has movement, a MUCH better curve than Parque ever had, and I think he has a better feel for pitching, attacking hitters, than Parque did. Parque's "upside" was a #5 pitcher on a contender, IMO.

He's not a potential #1, IMO, because I don't think he could ever give you 230 innings. He might be able to give you 200-215 innings, though, if he can stay healthy in a major league season.

I think he has a chance to be a very good #3 type pitcher, realistically. I could see him giving you 6 innings a start with ~5 K's on average and <2 walks...

Pretty early to project, but it's just a half-ass guess right now. Will be interesting to see. Could be in W-S as early as May 10th.
On a positive note, alot of teams said the same thing about Pedro.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.