White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2005, 03:38 PM
WSI Personality

Post Gio #1 on BA's Prospect Hot Sheet

So much for flying under the radar. Here's the link:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...sheet2005.html
Old 04-26-2005, 03:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
So much for flying under the radar. Here's the link:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...sheet2005.html
Good publicity.

I can't imagine how you can leave off Anderson hitting over .320 in AAA starting last year in W-S and Valido hitting .350 in W-S.

Those guys should at least be on honorable mention.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Never heard of this kid, but he sounds like a complete gem!

2014 White Sox Concession Tracker:
4 Miller Lite's
3 Half Acre Daisy Cutters
1 Hot Dog
1 Polish

It's gone.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingrt
Never heard of this kid, but he sounds like a complete gem!
Never heard of him? Do you live in a bunker? LOL! Seriously, though, 1st round supplemental pick out of Miami last year. Was a sure-thing first rounder before he and his brother were kicked off the HS team due to his family's issues with the head coach.

Smaller in stature, has a 90-93 fastball usually and one of the best LH'd curves in the minors. Also throws an overlooked change-up.

They are going to limit his innings and pitches throughout the minors because of durability concerns based on his build, not based on past injury problems.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
I can't imagine how you can leave off Anderson hitting over .320 in AAA starting last year in W-S and Valido hitting .350 in W-S.

Those guys should at least be on honorable mention.
I'm disappointed to see Rogowski and Liotta left off as well. Both have gotten off to good starts.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
I'm disappointed to see Rogowski and Liotta left off as well. Both have gotten off to good starts.
Liotta is still down there, so as he ascends and if he keeps pitching like this, will start making these lists. Unless you were a 1st or 2nd rounder, you'll not often make this list while still playing at the A-level.

For Anderson to be a 1st rounder and doing it at AAA 2 levels above where he started 2004, it's a travesty he's not on it right now.

Casey is playing well, but he's got 24 K's, only 5 BB's, and he's yet to hit a HR or triple, slugging under .500.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:13 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Never heard of him? Do you live in a bunker? LOL! Seriously, though, 1st round supplemental pick out of Miami last year. Was a sure-thing first rounder before he and his brother were kicked off the HS team due to his family's issues with the head coach.

Smaller in stature, has a 90-93 fastball usually and one of the best LH'd curves in the minors. Also throws an overlooked change-up.

They are going to limit his innings and pitches throughout the minors because of durability concerns based on his build, not based on past injury problems.
Randar - out of curiosity, how does Gio compare to Jim Parque? The build similarities are obvious, but IIRC Jimmy was also a lefty with decent (low-90s) stuff, but was never a big K guy which Gio seems to be. Jimmy was decent, but never really great, and the durability thing caught up with him pretty quickly. Knock on wood that Gio can stay healthy, but is his "upside" Parque or can we shoot a bit higher?
Old 04-27-2005, 10:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24
Randar - out of curiosity, how does Gio compare to Jim Parque? The build similarities are obvious, but IIRC Jimmy was also a lefty with decent (low-90s) stuff, but was never a big K guy which Gio seems to be. Jimmy was decent, but never really great, and the durability thing caught up with him pretty quickly. Knock on wood that Gio can stay healthy, but is his "upside" Parque or can we shoot a bit higher?
They're nothing alike, IMO. Parque got by on guts. I hate comparisons based only on physical likeness. Gio has a legit low-90's fastball that has movement, a MUCH better curve than Parque ever had, and I think he has a better feel for pitching, attacking hitters, than Parque did. Parque's "upside" was a #5 pitcher on a contender, IMO.

He's not a potential #1, IMO, because I don't think he could ever give you 230 innings. He might be able to give you 200-215 innings, though, if he can stay healthy in a major league season.

I think he has a chance to be a very good #3 type pitcher, realistically. I could see him giving you 6 innings a start with ~5 K's on average and <2 walks...

Pretty early to project, but it's just a half-ass guess right now. Will be interesting to see. Could be in W-S as early as May 10th.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
They're nothing alike, IMO. Parque got by on guts. I hate comparisons based only on physical likeness. Gio has a legit low-90's fastball that has movement, a MUCH better curve than Parque ever had, and I think he has a better feel for pitching, attacking hitters, than Parque did. Parque's "upside" was a #5 pitcher on a contender, IMO.

He's not a potential #1, IMO, because I don't think he could ever give you 230 innings. He might be able to give you 200-215 innings, though, if he can stay healthy in a major league season.

I think he has a chance to be a very good #3 type pitcher, realistically. I could see him giving you 6 innings a start with ~5 K's on average and <2 walks...

Pretty early to project, but it's just a half-ass guess right now. Will be interesting to see. Could be in W-S as early as May 10th.
Thanks. That "guts" comment on Jimmy is 100% dead-on. That was always his problem, he had no room for error because he plain didn't have the raw talent. Hopefully Gio's got that as well as the mental side of it and can end up as a good # 3-5 in the rotation in a couple of years.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:47 AM
WSI Prelate

To me, the best Gio comparison is Ramon Ortiz. Smallish, but can bring it. Good movement. Ortiz was very effective while young. Injuries took their toll on him at the bigleague level, but he had and even still has potential. Same for Gio. Great stuff - just need to see it translate as he moves through the system.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

On a positive note, alot of teams said the same thing about Pedro.