White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-27-2005, 09:09 AM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 19,462
Blog Entries: 1
Default *Official* Frank Thomas Watch

Despite the improved offense in Game 2 v. Oakland last night, I am convinced the Sox lineup needs Frank Thomas back in the #3 hole. The offense will remain inconsistent and unreliable until he returns.

The benefits of his return will cascade up and down the lineup. Frank will take his walks (his eye wasn't injured), increasing the number of runners on base. As a result, Podsednik and Iguchi will see more fastballs. Frank frequently will bat with men on base. He will see more fastballs and will drive mistakes into the left field seats. When he walks, singles or doubles, Konerko and Everett/Dye will see more good pitches to hit. With Konerko and Everett/Dye on base more, Rowand, AJ/Widger, Crede and Uribe will see more good pitches. They will chase opposing pitchers earlier in games and will give Sox starters early leads.

Frank has been such an integral part of the White Sox for 15 years. Also, unless I am mistaken, other than owners Frank is the longest-tenured active Chicago sports icon in any sport. Yet neither Chicago paper has a "Frank Thomas Watch."

So, can we have an official thread stuck to the top of the clubhouse in which we can report, share and read the latest news on when Frank might return?

I come here for the latest Frank news; I'm sure there are others (particularly those who can't listen to Chicago sportsblab radio or watch Chicago sports TV) who rely on WSI for the info.

Thanks in advance!
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-27-2005, 09:14 AM
Bobbo35 Bobbo35 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Carpentersville
Posts: 623
Default

Thats a great idea.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-27-2005, 09:14 AM
Baby Fisk Baby Fisk is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 10,875
Default

Never have I wanted to see a White Sox batter take a long, patient, 10-pitch base on balls more than now. I second the motion for a Frank Thomas Sticky! Come back soon, big guy!

__________________
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8633/tardis4vi9.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-27-2005, 09:24 AM
RKMeibalane RKMeibalane is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 17,394
Default

The most recent reports suggest that it may be awhile yet before Frank is ready to return, as the tendonitis is still bothering him. I think the Sox medical staff wants Thomas to be completely pain-free before they let him play again, but honestly, I don't think that's a realistic option. I get the impression that Frank's ankle will take several more weeks, perhaps months, before it is completely healed (i.e. the pain is gone).

I want to see Frank healthy as much as anyone, but I'm beginning to think that he may just have to go out there and play through the pain. Thomas himself said that hitting is not the problem for him, but rather, running the bases is. Were I in Ozzie Guillen's shoes, I would be willing to allow Frank back in the lineup, in spite of his not being able to run at full speed consistently. After all, he doesn't need to run if he hits a ball into the left field seats.

Furthermore, I have seen several athetes compete when they should never have been anywhere near a sports facility. I can vividly remember a former NBA player who took as many as eight medications per day and did all sorts of exercises in order to prepare himself for each game. He should not have been playing, but he did.

Alonzo Mourning could potentially endanger his life by playing basketball, and he's out there every night. Jermaine O'Neal is playing through pain, etc.

I don't mean to be overly critical of Frank or the Sox medical staff, but I think they're chasing a pipe dream if they want Frank to be pain-free this season. It's going to take time for the tendonitis to cease being a problem. As long as Frank can still hit, I don't see why he shouldn't be out there. The stress fracture in his ankle has healed. I think Herm Schneider needs to take off the kid-glove and let Frank get back out there. It's obvious he wants to start playing again. Why not let him?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-27-2005, 09:27 AM
Flight #24 Flight #24 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Fisk
Never have I wanted to see a White Sox batter take a long, patient, 10-pitch base on balls more than now. I second the motion for a Frank Thomas Sticky! Come back soon, big guy!

What are you talking about? We already HAVE Chris Widger!! (great AB last night v. Harden!)
__________________
"You don't quit. You don't go home before it's time. You don't come out of a game, even if you are in pain and feel as if you can't go one more step"
"Never give up, Never, never, never give up."
- Luther Head after Elite 8 win v. Arizona
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-27-2005, 09:35 AM
Tekijawa's Avatar
Tekijawa Tekijawa is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: North Mayfair/Chicago
Posts: 6,844
Default

I'm just glad he isn't suffering from one of those season ending "sports hernias" that Magglio has!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-27-2005, 09:45 AM
jackbrohamer's Avatar
jackbrohamer jackbrohamer is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago/Near North
Posts: 1,308
Default

Is there any date set for him to start geting minor league at-bats?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-27-2005, 09:59 AM
balke balke is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,894
Default

Last night our 9th inning batting order was Crede, Widger, Harris. We couldn't sub in Gload, cause he didn't play those positions .

I would love to have Frank back. I thought this offseason he wouldn't be back til the All-Star break, or mid June. I thought I was just prepping myself for the worst, apparently the worst has happened.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-27-2005, 10:09 AM
daveeym daveeym is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,485
Default

I'm sorry but


Thomas is questionable at best and I'll get excited when he's on the field. I'm not an enternal pessimist as some on this board but I'm excited about the team on the field and that they can win NOW. I'd love a healthy Frank back but that's highly questionable now. You say he didn't hurt his eye, but if he can't hit because he's playing on a bum wheel that eye won't help much. We have one of our best offensive outputs of the season last night and we hear how frank's a necessity because we lost. Funny but I thought umps, pitching and DEFENSE had more to do with the loss than the offense. I'm not pissing on Frank here, I'm pissing on this thread and general knee jerk reactions that happen because of a bad game.

Oh an by the way if frank is out for an extended time or all year, we can see if the Ewing effect take place.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-27-2005, 10:34 AM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 19,462
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeym
Funny but I thought umps, pitching and DEFENSE had more to do with the loss than the offense. I'm not pissing on Frank here, I'm pissing on this thread and general knee jerk reactions that happen because of a bad game.
This thread was not a knee jerk. In fact, if anything the offense kept the Sox in the game last night. If you'll read the post carefully, you will see that I made that perfectly clear in the first sentence. If anything, it's a reaction to the fact that Sox pitching has carried the team through their great start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeym
Thomas is questionable at best and I'll get excited when he's on the field. I'm not an enternal pessimist as some on this board but I'm excited about the team on the field and that they can win NOW. I'd love a healthy Frank back but that's highly questionable now. You say he didn't hurt his eye, but if he can't hit because he's playing on a bum wheel that eye won't help much. We have one of our best offensive outputs of the season last night and we hear how frank's a necessity because we lost.
I've heard from multiple sources that Frank can hit just fine, he just can't run very well. As RKMeibalane said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane
After all, he doesn't need to run if he hits a ball into the left field seats.
Frank is not needed because the Sox lost last night, but rather because he's what makes the Sox offense go. The offense will never be consistently productive or reliable until he returns to the lineup and returns to form. (He can't return to form unless he returns to the lineup, though!)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-27-2005, 10:36 AM
24thStFan 24thStFan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 1,222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo
I come here for the latest Frank news; I'm sure there are others (particularly those who can't listen to Chicago sportsblab radio or watch Chicago sports TV) who rely on WSI for the info.
I'm one of those who rely on WSI for my Sox fix. It would be nice to have a Frank Watch here.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Chicago83 Chicago83 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Suburbs of Chicago
Posts: 345
Default

I can't wait for Frank. If our pitchers can keep doing what they are doing now and we get Frank back in our lineup, then watch out. When I see Frank back and slugging I will believe in this team as a true contender.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Baby Fisk Baby Fisk is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 10,875
Default

An update on the big guy (somewhat vague) in today's Cub-Times. linky
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-28-2005, 12:50 PM
hold2dibber hold2dibber is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Western 'burbs (of Chicago)
Posts: 3,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Fisk
An update on the big guy (somewhat vague) in today's Cub-Times. linky
Not very optimistic. Thomas in the middle of the line-up changes everything and cures several problems the Sox offense has been facing this year (lack of OBP, failure to work counts, power, depth, middle of the line-up pop, etc.)
__________________
Pitcher Chuck Finley, after ex-wife Tawny Kitaen accused him in divorce court of being a heavy drinker, marijuana smoker and steroid user: "I can't believe she left out the cross-dressing.''
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-28-2005, 12:55 PM
lowesox lowesox is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,368
Default

I'd love to have Frank back in a hurry, but I wonder how he'll affect what seems to be very good chemistry.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.