White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2005, 08:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default 4/22 games

Charlotte lost 7-2, Phillips the starter and loser (0-2). Bullpen did well as Stephens, Sanders and Smith combined for 4 innings of shutout ball.
Borchard Watch: 1-3, 2B, BB, SO, .189. Anderson: 1-3, 2B, RBI, .306.

Birmingham won 8-6 to improve to 10-4 and moved back into 1st place with a 1/2 game lead. Lubisch won (3-0, 3.60). Reynoso picked up Save #2.
Owens: 2-5, .255. Rogowski, 1-5, 2B, .352. Fields: 3-5, 2R, RBI, SB, .295.
Blakely, 2-4, HR (4th), 2R, 3 RBI.

Winston-Salem also won 8-6. Castro won in relief. Wasserman with his 5th Save, 0.00 ERA in 7 games.
Valido: 2-3, HR, 3R, RBI, .358. Schnurstein: 2-4, HR, 2R, 3 RBI, .320.
Carlos Lee, PH-C: 1-1, 2 RBI, .455.

Kannapolis lost 2-1, Harrell 0-1, 4.26. J. Hansen: 1-4, 2B, R, .315.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

Most of the prospect talk so far this season has centered around Gio and McCarthy. But, the guy who has me the most excited is Valido. Here's a kid with oodles of talent and garnered a high pick out of high school. He's always had outstanding speed and played good defense, but the question seemed to be, "Can he hit?". Seems to me, he's answering that question.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
Most of the prospect talk so far this season has centered around Gio and McCarthy. But, the guy who has me the most excited is Valido. Here's a kid with oodles of talent and garnered a high pick out of high school. He's always had outstanding speed and played good defense, but the question seemed to be, "Can he hit?". Seems to me, he's answering that question.
Valido has always been my favorite out of the trio of Gonzalez, Lopez and Valido. He started last year hot, so let's hope he can maintain. He's just a real great, quality kid. Humble and honest, you can tell he has the mental make-up to be a good one. I wouldn't call his speed "outstanding". He's got avergae speed for a MIF. He runs upright, but he's a smart cookie, making him a better basestealer than his speed would have you believe.

Most advanced defensive SS in his draft year, IMO, and makes some eye-popping plays, makes tough plays look easy, so smooth.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Valido has always been my favorite out of the trio of Gonzalez, Lopez and Valido. He started last year hot, so let's hope he can maintain. He's just a real great, quality kid. Humble and honest, you can tell he has the mental make-up to be a good one. I wouldn't call his speed "outstanding". He's got avergae speed for a MIF. He runs upright, but he's a smart cookie, making him a better basestealer than his speed would have you believe.

Most advanced defensive SS in his draft year, IMO, and makes some eye-popping plays, makes tough plays look easy, so smooth.
i feel like everything you said character-wise ISN'T true with rogowski, but thats based on seeing him play a few times during spring training. he kind of reminded me of that huge bad guy from major league. am i wrong?
Old 04-23-2005, 01:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'd like to thank BigEdWalsh for posting these updates, and ComcastSportsNet for airing so many Spring Training Games that I actually recognize many of these names and care about them.

"Gogh Gogh White Sox!"
Old 04-24-2005, 10:24 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by patbooyah
i feel like everything you said character-wise ISN'T true with rogowski, but thats based on seeing him play a few times during spring training. he kind of reminded me of that huge bad guy from major league. am i wrong?
Rogo? I don't know, he's a really good kid when you talk to him, very well-spoken, honest about the weaknesses in his game he needs to improve on. Volunteered to start playing LF last year when W-S was short on OF'ers, destroyed a catcher at the plate in a game last week after a couple of teammates were hit by pitches. Really get's along with the guys on his team, a team player from all I can tell.

That said, at least one other guy whose information I trust has said the Sox have questioned his attitude. I haven't seen it, but I'm not there in the offseason or in the locker room myself.

He's very serious on the field at times, and gives a lot of scowling-type looks, certainly looks pissed when he K's or the like, but he plays balls-out with passion when he's on the field. I love that kind of guy.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
he's a really good kid when you talk to him
Agree 100%. Rogo looks like a beast but couldn't have been a nicer guy.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Valido and Schnurstein featured at BA Daily Dish.

Quote:
Two of the best shortstops in the Carolina League this year are Winston-Salem's Robert Valido and Lynchburg's Javier Guzman. And while they appear to be near-mirror images of each other, there are subtle differences in the way they play the premium position.

Both are solid shortstop prospects because of their good range, soft hands and solid athleticism, though Guzman rates a tick ahead of Valido in the range department based on his athleticism. He has been compared to Tony Fernandez or a young version of Jose Vizcaino. Guzman turns a better double play, with an uncanny ability to avoid the lead runner by leaping over him and making strong, accurate throws while in mid-air. The 20-year-old Dominican also has a slightly stronger arm, which ranks as the best in the Pirates' system as a 70 on the 20 to 80 scouting scale.

Valido, 19, has been known to force things defensively sometimes, which has led to errors. He committed 27 miscues in 111 games at low Class A Kannapolis last season, but Guzman was worse, with 40 in 124 games at Hickory.

"With both these guys, it's about learning body control," an AL scout said. "And they have a lot to learn. For Valido, it's more about getting a bigger body under control. But they both sometimes tried to do too much last year--trying to make the tough play in the hole and then make the throw. They just need to learn more about what they can handle within their own abilities."

While Valido (6-foot-2, 180) is bigger than Guzman (5-foot-11, 160), neither projects to hit for much power, and of the two, Guzman has more pop in his bat. Valido projects to be good enough defensively to play in the big leagues, though some scouts have questioned whether or not he'll hit enough to be an everyday player.

Both of their games revolve around getting on base and using their speed. Guzman, who was raw enough to be left off the 40-man roster in the offseason, has a long, slow swing but shows good ability to make contact from both sides of the plate. He had four hits, including a home run, yesterday in Lynchburg's 21-8 rout at Kinston.

Guzman outhit Valido by more than 50 points in the Sally League last year, but Valido is ahead of him now. Valido, a fourth-round pick in 2003 out of Coral Park High in Miami, is batting .342/.358/.506 with two homers and eight RBIs in 79 at-bats, while Guzman is hitting .328/.389/.484 with a pair of homers and 10 RBIs in 64 at-bats.

While both are hitting well--and getting on base--Guzman has a better shot at being an everyday shortstop in the big leagues. His bat from both sides of the plate and balance and agility in the field separate him slightly--even if he is a year older.

Freddie, how are you getting guys out?

"throwing a bunch of bull****."