White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2005, 10:16 AM
WSI Personality

Default Charlotte Knights

Anyone go to the knights games? I recently moved to NC and figured I would attend some games (quite a few hopefully when Frank is rehabbing). Just curious if anyone attended the games in the area.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:00 PM
Banned

I've been to a few. The most expensive ticket is about $12 and parking is $4. They have fireworks on Saturday nights and I think there's a dog day also. One problem, IIRC, is they don't serve beer on Sundays (if that matters to you at all). I'm definitely going to go when Frank is here, especially if B-Mac is on the mound.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:57 PM
WSI Personality

Sounds good, how are the crowds? Are game-day tickets available for good seats?
Old 04-24-2005, 09:54 PM
Banned

Thursday nights are still dollar beer nights.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by krohnjw
Sounds good, how are the crowds? Are game-day tickets available for good seats?
Believe me, plenty of seats available. Baseball, well any pro sport really other than NASCAR, is not a big deal in Charlotte (or Fort Mill, SC, where Knights Stadium is).
Old 04-25-2005, 11:50 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by samram
Believe me, plenty of seats available. Baseball, well any pro sport really other than NASCAR, is not a big deal in Charlotte (or Fort Mill, SC, where Knights Stadium is).
Good seats always available. When the Knights are good, the weekend crowds are ok, but Knights Stadium is across the border in South Carolina and a bit of a haul from downtown Charlotte and the previous owner there did a really poor job cultivating any kind of following with the Charlotte people.

Personally, I'd rather drive up to W-S or Kannapolis to see those teams play, except for when BMac is pitching, LOL. Games at W-S are great fun. Ernie Shore Field is a great place to see a game, and the crowds are always good.

Last edited by Randar68; 04-25-2005 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:52 AM
Banned

When I've gone, I've always been able to get seats right up behind the screen; close enough to hear the conversation between the umpire, catcher and batter.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:43 PM
WSI Personality

Sounds good. That would be quite a haul from W-S and even from Statesville where I would stay for the weekend. I will still probably head down to at least a few games when Frank is down.(and with Thursday off of work it would be a good day )

Where is the stadium in W-S?
Old 04-25-2005, 02:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Sounds good. That would be quite a haul from W-S and even from Statesville where I would stay for the weekend. I will still probably head down to at least a few games when Frank is down.(and with Thursday off of work it would be a good day )

W-S is a great location to catch a lot of Sox minor league games.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

I am going to be in Charlotte in a couple weeks, so I figured I would go see the Knights play on Tuesday, May 10th. Anyone know of any good bars/restaurants in the Charlotte area? I have never been to the city before, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2005, 11:09 PM
Banned

Quote:

Ernie Shore is a great, but old stadium. It is right by the university sports complex, just north of downtown W-S.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSox12
I am going to be in Charlotte in a couple weeks, so I figured I would go see the Knights play on Tuesday, May 10th. Anyone know of any good bars/restaurants in the Charlotte area? I have never been to the city before, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Where are you staying?

If you're downtown, and you just want bar food and a place to hang out, hit Ri-ra's or Fox and Hound (both on Tryon), Stool Pigeons (just off of Tryon on 6th street), or Dixie's (on 8th, I think). Ri-ra's has the best food among those, but Stool Pigeon's is my favorite place. Cosmo's on 6th and College is a good tapas place that attracts a trendier crowd (meaning good looking women, but expensive drinks). If you want the names of some higher end restaurants, or if you're staying away from downtown, PM me. Just to let you know though, Charlotte on a Tuesday is not going to be very lively.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Where is Ernie Shore Field? It's right in the heart of the Wake Forest Sports Complex north of downtown. Ernie Shore is just east of the football stadium.

Check out:
http://www.warthogs.com
Old 04-26-2005, 03:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by samram
Where are you staying?

If you're downtown, and you just want bar food and a place to hang out, hit Ri-ra's or Fox and Hound (both on Tryon), Stool Pigeons (just off of Tryon on 6th street), or Dixie's (on 8th, I think). Ri-ra's has the best food among those, but Stool Pigeon's is my favorite place. Cosmo's on 6th and College is a good tapas place that attracts a trendier crowd (meaning good looking women, but expensive drinks). If you want the names of some higher end restaurants, or if you're staying away from downtown, PM me. Just to let you know though, Charlotte on a Tuesday is not going to be very lively.
I actually don't have reservations yet. I'll probably stay at some relatively cheap hotel. I'm just passing through on my way back to DC from Tampa. I'll be at the Sox/D-Rays game that Monday night. I figured I might as well catch a game in Charlotte too. A hang out place is probably all I'm looking for so perhaps I'll try Ri-ra's or Stool Pigeon's. Thanks for the advice!