White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2005, 04:15 PM
Banned

Default Jerry Owens?

Just read on espn.com that the White Sox traded Alex Escobar for Nationals Minor League OF Jerry Owens? His batting average at single-A didn't look too bad...anybody got anything else on this guy?
Old 02-13-2005, 05:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

He's very, very fast.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

This is the official release from whitesox.com. Here's the link:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASA..._cws&fext=.jsp
Old 02-13-2005, 10:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

I am loving our future outfield of LF Ryan Sweeney, CF Jerry Owens, and RF Brian Anderson
Old 02-13-2005, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUribe1989
I am loving our future outfield of LF Ryan Sweeney, CF Jerry Owens, and RF Brian Anderson
you don't think rowand will be around awhile
Old 02-13-2005, 10:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by idseer
you don't think rowand will be around awhile
Well maybe our future back up outfield, then future outfield. I'm pretty thrilled with Pods, Rowand, and Dye right now, but you never know with free agency and everything.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:40 PM
WSI Personality

Let's not forget Chris Young, who may not make it, but if he does he has an extremely high ceiling. Speed and power.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox
Let's not forget Chris Young, who may not make it, but if he does he has an extremely high ceiling. Speed and power.
Really rooting for Chris Young. Great kid who just enjoys playing the game, has a passion for life and baseball.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Really rooting for Chris Young. Great kid who just enjoys playing the game, has a passion for life and baseball.
I second that remark. Here's a kid with the ability to be a true 5-tool outfielder with the hustle and desire to back it up.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by buehrle4cy05
Just read on espn.com that the White Sox traded Alex Escobar for Nationals Minor League OF Jerry Owens? His batting average at single-A didn't look too bad...anybody got anything else on this guy?
Best athlete in the Expos/Nationals system. Former WR at UCLA, transferred to Masters College to "deepen his faith" and to resume a baseball playing career after being injured in football several times. Hadn't played since HS but burst onto the scene and was a 2nd round pick in 2003 draft.

Blazing speed, very limited power, good arm. Good all-around athlete, still not a truly instinctive base-stealer. Will be a CF'er. Very toolsy and showed good progress in his first full-season league this year.

Good pick-up turning a guy we had no place for into a legit prospect. Was old for his league, but that is due to the extenuating circumstances WRT taking a couple years off from baseball.

Will start in Winston-Salem as far as I can tell. Was ranked 3rd best athlete (behind only Weeks and Milledge) and 5th fastest runner in 2003 draft per BA.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
I second that remark. Here's a kid with the ability to be a true 5-tool outfielder with the hustle and desire to back it up.
4-tool. The arm will never be more than average.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Default re. Chris Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
Young still needs to get his AVE up (obviously), and the reports I've seen say that he doesn't have a very good arm. Do you have a different impression of him?

No doubt that Young has great speed / power combo. I look forward to seeing him for the first time this year.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Sounds like another Carl Crawford. Hope he plays like him.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice
Young still needs to get his AVE up (obviously), and the reports I've seen say that he doesn't have a very good arm. Do you have a different impression of him?
In the very limited exposure I had I really did think he had a pretty good arm. Then again, I didn't get to see much more than his throwing to the cutoff man or throwing the ball back into the infield after a put out. I never saw an assist, so guys who have had more exposure (you, Randar) are probably more credible in your assessment.

Still, a 4 tool player is nothing to sneeze at...
Old 03-01-2005, 04:36 PM
New At WSI

Default Jerry Owens

I pitched against him in college. Owens was the best player I ever faced as a pitcher. I could not get the ball by him and he fell for nothing. He is a great gaps hitter and as far as speed, not many are faster than him. The year I face him was his first year back playing ball and I would never have guessed he stopped. A pure natural. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the majors this year as if nothing else, a pinch runner.