White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2005, 11:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Watching Prospects (3/13)

I could basically spend a day lamenting the pitching woes of Kris Honel today. If he wasn't coming off an injury, my hopes would be down. I didn't see the snap he's displayed on his curve ball earlier in his career and he really had trouble locating his offspeed pitches. Also working against Kris was his velocity. Most of his fastballs were coming in around 85- 87 which can be again attributed to his injury problems. Overall, a very frustrating performance. That being said, as he continues to pile up innings the snap and velocity will come back (barring injury).

On another negative note Ryan Meaux was serving up meatballs in his short stint. Without pinpoint control, he has no chance of getting batters out as his breaking stuff wasn't really breaking and his fastball was sitting in the low 80's. He's basically out of the organization next year IMO.

I will again sing the praises of Casey Rogowski and Chris Young. Both looked excellent up at the plate. I finally figured out who Casey reminds me of, an in shape John Kruk (who looks a bit like Jason Giambi IMO). Young showed the quick bat he displayed in Kannapolis and played good defense. If he can figure out how to hit the offspeed stuff look out for this kid as he was making solid contact with every fastball thrown at him. He also did a good job with a sacrifice bunt.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:56 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
I could basically spend a day lamenting the pitching woes of Kris Honel today. If he wasn't coming off an injury, my hopes would be down. I didn't see the snap he's displayed on his curve ball earlier in his career and he really had trouble locating his offspeed pitches. Also working against Kris was his velocity. Most of his fastballs were coming in around 85- 87 which can be again attributed to his injury problems. Overall, a very frustrating performance. That being said, as he continues to pile up innings the snap and velocity will come back (barring injury).

On another negative note Ryan Meaux was serving up meatballs in his short stint. Without pinpoint control, he has no chance of getting batters out as his breaking stuff wasn't really breaking and his fastball was sitting in the low 80's. He's basically out of the organization next year IMO.

I will again sing the praises of Casey Rogowski and Chris Young. Both looked excellent up at the plate. I finally figured out who Casey reminds me of, an in shape John Kruk (who looks a bit like Jason Giambi IMO). Young showed the quick bat he displayed in Kannapolis and played good defense. If he can figure out how to hit the offspeed stuff look out for this kid as he was making solid contact with every fastball thrown at him. He also did a good job with a sacrifice bunt.
The more I see of Young, the better I like him. Plenty of guys on this board have had a chance to see him in person and all rave about him & deservedly so. His approach at the plate and defense are excellent. Also, the first real chance I've gotten to see Honel and I guess I was expecting more. I liked his poise out on the mound, but he really had no command of his stuff on Sunday. I realize he is comming of injury though. We'll see how he progresses this year.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

Yeah, Chris is going to start garnering some attention from the national publications if he continues to develop. I love that quick bat.

As much as everyone is/was down on Honel for yesterday's implosion, he really does have to be given the benefit of the doubt. The kid has been through an emotional roller coaster for the past year and is under a very high powered microscope. IMO if he can make it through this year with no injury problems, he'll re-emerge as a top prospect. He just has too much talent not to.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:03 PM
WSI High Priest

FWIW, Tucson isn't the best place to try to throw a big curve, and Honel's fastball looked better in previous outings. Unfortunately, I don't have his previous gun readings, because I was sitting up the 1B line.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice
FWIW, Tucson isn't the best place to try to throw a big curve, and Honel's fastball looked better in previous outings. Unfortunately, I don't have his previous gun readings, because I was sitting up the 1B line.
McCarthy throws that 12-6 high-rotation curve that still breaks (also throws it slower than Honel, IIRC, helping... I don't think that knuckle curve rotates as quickly, which would cause it to float.

Hell, I don't really know, but IMO, Honel, coming off last year, pitching in a Spring A game, I don't really care about the results. Good experience, learn from it, move on. His performance, health, and development of his change-up are all far more important. After not throwing most of last year, I'm sure the command is going to be lagging behind everything else...
Old 03-14-2005, 04:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

I heard Ozzie likes the young SS , I think his name is Lopez?

Looks like the Sox have a good group of youngsters, especially in the outfield.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hose
I heard Ozzie likes the young SS , I think his name is Lopez?
Pedro Lopez. Personally I see very little in the kid besides a good glove. He's never shown that he can hit with any consistency or draw walks. He's been young at every level he's played at so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but I have my reservations.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:09 PM
WSI Regular

Default pedro lopez

according to what Nick Leyva had to say at the media meeting recently in Charlotte, Lopez is a phenom and is expected to be part of the Knights by mid summer. He also stated that Sweeney will be spending time in Charlotte too. With Giambi, I don't see how we can lose! (ha)
Old 03-14-2005, 07:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
Pedro Lopez. Personally I see very little in the kid besides a good glove. He's never shown that he can hit with any consistency or draw walks.
So, in other words, Ozzie sees himself in Lopez...
Old 03-14-2005, 09:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica
So, in other words, Ozzie sees himself in Lopez...
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Old 03-14-2005, 10:20 PM
WSI Regular

yeah i was just about to say that, i think Ozzie see's himself in Pedro Lopez but for us i see a little bit better of a hitter and a little less good with the glove. Now dont get me wrong he is still a great fielder and Ozzie was a real bad hitter so dont know how much of a compliment that is
Old 03-14-2005, 11:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Ozzie was a bit of free swinger... he felt free to swing at anything he could imagine hitting. He was the polar opposite of Frank Thomas. But he could play shortstop.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:58 PM
WSI Personality

I'm in Arizona right now. I was at the last three games. Lopez has looked decent at the plate. I agree, he's a bit of a right-handed Ozzie. Chris Young struck out against the Angels and still managed to look impressive. Felix Diaz (!?) looked very good against the Royals yesterday. (Not as good as Zack Greinke, though. Man, that kid has a chance to be awesome.) I was very impressed by B-Mac. He got hit on a few balls he got up, but he was gutty as hell. (I was two rows up right behind home plate and his stuff looked good. Particularly in the third and fourth innings.) All in all, Sox prospects look a little stronger than they have the last few years.