GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2005, 11:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Gammons on McCarthy

Quote:
Brandon McCarthy, RHP, White Sox: "He's the best young pitcher I've seen this spring," says one AL scout. "He can really pitch. He has a great changeup, outstanding breaking ball and his fastball is enough. The next Jack McDowell." Was 17-5 on three levels.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=2011372
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Old 03-12-2005, 11:31 PM
Banned

I'm thinking we'll get a glimpse of him this year. Especially if Hernandez or someone goes down. I'd hate to bring him up to early (the Sox have a history of doing that) but if he can get the job done??? If not him who is next in line to take a spot in the rotation if someone goes down???
Old 03-12-2005, 11:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

The next Jack McDowell? Does that mean he will suck in the playoffs, flip off Yankees fan, play in a crappy band and grow out his hair so he looks like a clown?

Needless to say, I still haven't gotten over Jack's pathetic pitching in the '93 playoffs.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:45 PM
WSI Regular

i like mccarthy, but gammons is incorrect about the changeup, as he is still learning the pitch.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:48 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishsox1
The next Jack McDowell? Does that mean he will suck in the playoffs, flip off Yankees fan, play in a crappy band and grow out his hair so he looks like a clown?

Needless to say, I still haven't gotten over Jack's pathetic pitching in the '93 playoffs.
you're right, his 22-10 record and 3.37 ERA with 10 complete games and 4 shutouts in '93 had no effect on the Sox making the playoffs that season. Maybe you should lay off McDowell...

BELIEVERS BECOME ACHEIVERS
WHITESOX PENNANT 2005

"I know how to swear in a few more languages, Japanese, obviously Spanish and English I knew, and then whatever language Juan Uribe thinks he's speaking."
~Ozzie Guillen
Old 03-13-2005, 02:24 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by depy48
you're right, his 22-10 record and 3.37 ERA with 10 complete games and 4 shutouts in '93 had no effect on the Sox making the playoffs that season. Maybe you should lay off McDowell...
Took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:53 AM
WSI High Priest

I think his stuff is above average...and his makeup off the charts. And I would rather have that kind of a pitcher than strictly a tools guy (Contreras, Brett Myers, Brazelton)...Makeup is too often overlooked in scouting, IMO, and that is why a guy like Huston Street (who was in our community hot tub a couple weeks ago...weird) is going to be successful.

Freddie, how are you getting guys out?

"throwing a bunch of bull****."
Old 03-13-2005, 10:36 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxxoS
I think his stuff is above average...and his makeup off the charts. And I would rather have that kind of a pitcher than strictly a tools guy (Contreras, Brett Myers, Brazelton)...Makeup is too often overlooked in scouting, IMO, and that is why a guy like Huston Street (who was in our community hot tub a couple weeks ago...weird) is going to be successful.
The makeup and accumen for pitching and the game in general is the key, IMO. He has good deception and his "stuff" is definitely overlooked at times. If he can tutn that change-up into a plus pitch and trust it, he's going to be very deadly... (not like he isn't already)

Do we really need to rehash McDowell tipping his pitches? Gaston was one of the best in the game at picking up on those kinds of things. The Jays noticed it and exploited it at the right time. If someone had figured it out earlier in the season and McDowell had corrected it (like he did the following year), we might have been talking about the 1994 season wiping out our chances of a repeat...
Old 03-13-2005, 12:00 PM
WSI Guru

Irish:

Of course the fact that Toronto baserunners were relaying signs from second to the hitters had NOTHING to do with it nor did Cito saying that both Jack and Alex were tipping their pitchers.

McDowell was the winningest pitcher in MLB between 1990 and 1994 and a Cy Young Award winner. I can live with his 93 ALCS issues.

Lip
Old 03-13-2005, 06:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Gammons said something right for once
Old 03-13-2005, 06:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Don't forget his 20 wins in '92 and his 17 in '91.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Hawk again today said Fingernails on a blackboard was 24 y/o. Why doesn't someone clue him in? Also, other than his body-type, McCarthy doesn't remind me of McDowell at all. His set up looks like Prior's. His wind up and delivery is pure Brandon McCarthy. Black Jack was fast-ball, splitter. Fingernails on a blackboard is fast ball, curve, change. I like what I see of him. He's very poised and unafraid.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
The guy choked in the playoffs, tipping pitches or not, he stunk when the White Sox needed him the most. In the '93 playoffs he was 0-2 with a 10.00 ERA. I liked Black Jack, but he really sucked against Toronto and that's what I remember about McDowell.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:24 PM
Banned

I don't think we should get to excited about Fingernails on a blackboard yet. I'd like to give him some more time. But, I can see Contreras getting into trouble and the Sox needing some help. Maybe, he is the answer.

We'll have to wait and see...
Old 03-13-2005, 07:38 PM
WSI Regular

I can see us moving someone around the deadline or earlier to have B Mac as I call him, called up..

2005 Prediction
(14-5)
3.45era
178ip