White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2005, 04:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default *Extra! Extra! Read All About It!!! More Media Bias!

Go to the MLB page on ESPN and there is a poll. Who has the best rotation? Braves, Yanks, BoSox, Cards, and Flubbies. So do you think they might be wondering if they should put in the deepest rotation in there? NAH! just as an option? NO! I hate the media.

"I've thought about opening a bottle of champagne and pouring it on my teammates' heads. I don't care about my stats, just as long as we win. That gets us closer to my goal." C. Politte
Old 03-08-2005, 04:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

All 5 of the teams are "media darlings" so it's not a surprise to not see the WHITE SOX listed. While all 5 of those have pretty good rotations, you could make a strong case for other teams as well, such as the White Sox and the Marlins(IMO). It's hard to argue with Buehrle and Garcia at the top of the rotation, but you have to remember that this is ESPN we're talking about. Jose Contreras will always be looked at as the pitcher who got shelled every time he faced the BoSox in the eyes of the East coast media propaganda machine.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

By that token then shouldn't El Duque be remembered for his playoff excellence?
Old 03-08-2005, 09:04 AM
Banned

Under the radar, that's the motto. I want this team to be so far under the radar that writers, when making predictions, forget to include the Sox in the AL Central standings, leaving just four teams.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by samram
Under the radar, that's the motto. I want this team to be so far under the radar that writers, when making predictions, forget to include the Sox in the AL Central standings, leaving just four teams.
Exactly, and you got two possible headcases and a guy that hasn't had a full healthy year in what, 2 or 3 years, on the staff. The sox have the potential to be one of the best rotations, but they haven't earned crap yet.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeym
Exactly, and you got two possible headcases and a guy that hasn't had a full healthy year in what, 2 or 3 years, on the staff. The sox have the potential to be one of the best rotations, but they haven't earned crap yet.
Have the scrubbies earned crap yet?
Old 03-08-2005, 11:33 AM
Parking Lot Attendant

Come on now. Let's be realistic. The Sox rotation has a chance to be good. But top 5 in all of baseball at this point? No way. I'd take the Braves, Cubs, Yankees and Red Sox rotation over the Sox without even hesitating. Based on performance last year, plus the addition of Mulder, I'd take the Cards rotation as well. For that matter, I'd take the Astros rotaton without even thinking twice. The Marlins and Mets both have rotations I'd consider taking over the Sox. The Marlins biggest problem is health. That's the only thing that would cause me to hesitate if I had to pick between the Sox and Marlins. I'd seriously consider the Mets rotation, as well. There's just no way the Sox rotation deserves to be on there.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjav829
Come on now. Let's be realistic. The Sox rotation has a chance to be good. But top 5 in all of baseball at this point? No way. I'd take the Braves, Cubs, Yankees and Red Sox rotation over the Sox without even hesitating. Based on performance last year, plus the addition of Mulder, I'd take the Cards rotation as well. For that matter, I'd take the Astros rotaton without even thinking twice. The Marlins and Mets both have rotations I'd consider taking over the Sox. The Marlins biggest problem is health. That's the only thing that would cause me to hesitate if I had to pick between the Sox and Marlins. I'd seriously consider the Mets rotation, as well. There's just no way the Sox rotation deserves to be on there.
Yeah, I gotta agree with JJav here. I love to make a big stink about the media bias too, but I don't see it here. All of those teams have better staffs than the Sox, by a pretty good margin.
"All I wanted was to get to the World Series one time. One time. I didn't care how I got there. I'm here with these guys in body, mind and spirit. People say it's bittersweet. It's not bittersweet. It's only sweet."

-Frank Thomas, 10/15/05
Old 03-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubbiesuck13
Have the scrubbies earned crap yet?
You didn't have to even say that to show that your hatred for the cubs drove your irrational posting.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:56 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
The Astros have the best rotation in baseball. I dont care what the tools at ESPN say, with Clemens, Petitte, Oswalt, and Backe, nobody can match them. As for the Cubs, they have 4 staters and "Flash in the Pan" Glendon Rusch, who is a lot more likely to return to his career ERA than his from last year. Of the 4 real starters, only two of them have proven they can stay healthy. Of the two frail nancy-boys, Prior can be effective, but Wood(s) is the single more overrated pitcher in baseball. I am right, but I guess we will need the season to prove it. We may have the better rotation, but at least at the end of the year Cub fans will be able to whine that their rotation was injured, which is why they lost 90 games. By the way, if anyone wants to be brave and predict that Wood will win more games than Garland, I will take you up on that bet.

"This is our rival right here. Forget the other teams. I think it's going to come down to us and (the Indians)."
-Dmitri Young, 4/10/05
Old 03-08-2005, 04:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Could not agree more. I am getting tired of all the whining.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 03-08-2005, 11:25 PM
IITsox

Quote:
I'd take the Braves, Cubs, Yankees and Red Sox rotation over the Sox without even hesitating.
I agree that the Sox are probably not in the top five, but the Cubs?

Buehrle > Wood (Buehle's career 69W 45L vs. Wood 67W 50L, not to mention Buehrle's ability to take 200+ IP every year)
Garcia > Prior (until Prior can prove that his 18 win 2003 wasn't a fluke)
Zambrano > Contreras (they both have the incredible stuff, but Zambrano has proben he can harness it)
Maddux > El Duque (both aging, both have the potential to hit 18 wins, but health is a big question mark -- Maddux has been more reliable health wise lately, though)
Garland >>> Rusch/Mitre (12 wins can be counted on from Garland -- let's remember that Rusch went 1-12 in 2003, and Mitre hasn't proven he can handle the bigs yet. Garland is so far ahead of the Cubs in the number 5 slot that it really makes up for some of the ground lost with the Cubans vs. Zambrano/Maddux)

So the Sox have three out of five -- the Cubs hardly even have five. How does the team that has only gotten worse since being destroyed in the NL Central last year get so much hype?
Old 03-08-2005, 11:30 PM
WSI Personality

Another thread complaining of the media bias, etc., etc.! Come to think of it, I doubt Sox fans would really want it any other way. If the Sox have a breakout year and tear through the American League and suddenly become the "media darlings", how would we all feel about that? I think we'd all feel like we'd gotten robbed of something we prefer to have. I think we'd all feel like our brotherhood was somehow violated if the Sox were media favorites.

I'd say that being a Sox fan is kind of like having a cool place back in the woods with your friends. On one hand, you think it'd be sweet to have more people to come around, but deep down, you'd rather just keep the place to yourself, because you know that the more people that are included, the less special it is.

Maybe that makes no sense at all, maybe it does. It does to me at least. Whenever that day comes that the Sox are rolling toward the World Series, I'd love nothing more that to grab a big fatty whip and stand at the back of the White Sox bandwagon and snap it at any fairweather fans or media or, ugh, "Chicago baseball fans" trying to get their fat grubby fingers latched on. Get 'em outta here!
Old 03-08-2005, 11:40 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Come on now. Let's be realistic. The Sox rotation has a chance to be good. But top 5 in all of baseball at this point? No way. I'd take the Braves, Cubs, Yankees and Red Sox rotation over the Sox without even hesitating.
You'd take the Braves over the Sox without hesitating? The Braves have Hudson and Smoltz.....after that you've got Hampton, Thompson, and ?. Hampton is done, and Thompson could easily revert back to mediocrity. I guess I'd take Hudson and Smoltz over Buehrle and Garcia, but the Sox have a definite advantage with their back 3 pitchers (unless I'm missing something obvious). I'd take El Duque, Contreras and Garland over the Braves bottom 3. Close call...but there's no way the Braves are such a clear cut favorite.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubbiesuck13
So do you think they might be wondering if they should put in the deepest rotation in there?
Screaming teal.

There are other rotations deeper than the White Sox. Some have been left off the list and others have been named by previous posters. Duque is an injury risk, Contreras is a head case, and Garland is mediocre.

Where are they selling this White Sox crack anyway ?