White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2005, 07:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Default A Tale of Two 5:00 p.m. Sports Segments

This evening, I happened to catch the sports segments from the 5:00 p.m. news on NBC 5 and ABC 7. Mark Schanowski was anchoring on NBC 5, and Mark Giangreco was anchoring on ABC 7. The both started out with live reports from Champaign and both ended with spring training highlights.

As for those spring training highlights, ABC 7's Giangreco led with the Cubs-A's game showing Carlos Zambrano striking out a batter followed by Aramis Ramirez hitting a two-run home run. He then followed that up with White Sox-Diamondbacks highlights showing three Sox miscues in the highlight package. Even though we lost our game 4-3 today, Giangreco did not show how we got our three runs or how Arizona won the ballgame. He just showed those three miscues.

Meanwhile over at Studio 5, Schanowski led the baseball portion of his segment with the White Sox game. He showed Mark Buehrle striking out a batter and then showed a Sox player (forgot who already) getting an RBI single by hitting a duck snort over the Arizona shortstop. Schanowski also reported that Frank Thomas will be back next week; something I don't think Giangreco mentioned. For whatever reason, NBC 5 did not show highlights of the Cubs game on that newscast. Perhaps they ran out of time, who knows.

I think this comparison underscores a number of points. One, it only fuels longtime speculation among us that Giangreco is biased against the White Sox. Second, it shows how much more professional I believe NBC 5 is compared to ABC 7. Giangreco skewed the highlights to make us look like the '62 Mets while making the Cubs look like a lock for the World Series title. That would never be tolerated at a more professional station like NBC 5 or CBS 2, for that matter.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Medias B's
This evening, I happened to catch the sports segments from the 5:00 p.m. news on NBC 5 and ABC 7. Mark Schanowski was anchoring on NBC 5, and Mark Giangreco was anchoring on ABC 7. The both started out with live reports from Champaign and both ended with spring training highlights.

As for those spring training highlights, ABC 7's Giangreco led with the Cubs-A's game showing Carlos Zambrano striking out a batter followed by Aramis Ramirez hitting a two-run home run. He then followed that up with White Sox-Diamondbacks highlights showing three Sox miscues in the highlight package. Even though we lost our game 4-3 today, Giangreco did not show how we got our three runs or how Arizona won the ballgame. He just showed those three miscues.

Meanwhile over at Studio 5, Schanowski led the baseball portion of his segment with the White Sox game. He showed Mark Buehrle striking out a batter and then showed a Sox player (forgot who already) getting an RBI single by hitting a duck snort over the Arizona shortstop. Schanowski also reported that Frank Thomas will be back next week; something I don't think Giangreco mentioned. For whatever reason, NBC 5 did not show highlights of the Cubs game on that newscast. Perhaps they ran out of time, who knows.

I think this comparison underscores a number of points. One, it only fuels longtime speculation among us that Giangreco is biased against the White Sox. Second, it shows how much more professional I believe NBC 5 is compared to ABC 7. Giangreco skewed the highlights to make us look like the '62 Mets while making the Cubs look like a lock for the World Series title. That would never be tolerated at a more professional station like NBC 5 or CBS 2, for that matter.
What??? NBC 5 didn't show any highlights of the Cubs game??? What blatant anti-Cub bias!!!!

19 seasons, 9232 AB, 216 SO
Old 03-03-2005, 08:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Giangreco is the absolute worst. Ah, he is such a Cubs fan.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

The saddest point about Giangreco is that it's pretty well known he's a Cub fan. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think he's a Cubs season ticket holder, too. If you see the famous picture of someone praying right behind the Cub dungout at game 6 of the 2003 NLCS, Giangreco is in that picture. I'll find it, and then I'll post a link or something.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:25 PM
WSI Regular

Thanks for the post, Vivas Medias. It was a good description and analysis. This is the kind of attention to detail that is needed to demonstrate the very real bias against the Sox. Of course, as you mentioned, Ch. 5 had Sox highlights, but in reality (as we know) much of the media loves the Flubs. This segment reflects the "marketing wars" issue on the WSI homepage.

For one, I'll be paying close attention to these kinds of details in the media.

Old 03-03-2005, 10:14 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsnterprize
The saddest point about Giangreco is that it's pretty well known he's a Cub fan. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think he's a Cubs season ticket holder, too. If you see the famous picture of someone praying right behind the Cub dungout at game 6 of the 2003 NLCS, Giangreco is in that picture. I'll find it, and then I'll post a link or something.
You mean this pic?

http://cubssuck.knup.net/index.php?o...1&limitstart=0

Its not the best quality though...
Old 03-04-2005, 12:02 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

I"m sure he has season tickets given to him by all of Chicago's sports teams.

Keep in mind how WLS got its call letters. "WLS" stands for "World's Largest Store" which was Sears, the company that started WLS long ago. Now, the name "Sears," I am told, is plastered all over the Urinal to the point that you'd think Sears bought the naming rights.........

Paging Oliver Stone.........

All hail The Rick
Old 03-04-2005, 01:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestigio
You mean this pic?

http://cubssuck.knup.net/index.php?o...1&limitstart=0

Its not the best quality though...
There's Giangreco...

Old 03-04-2005, 03:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsnterprize
the Cub dungout

typo of the year!!!
Old 03-04-2005, 07:56 AM
Banned

This issue was raised last year and one of those jokers or there producers responded to someone's email questionig it. Their answer: Spring Training games are not fully covered and we only have footage of what other teams stations send us a lot of times.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:00 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni
There's Giangreco...

He's kind of overdressed and appears to be holding a microphone. Might he be working?

I never watched the local news in Chicago anyway, but don't think much of MarkyBoy anyhow. Still, there is no need to invent stuff to make him look worse or the Sox more abused.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 03-04-2005, 08:18 AM
WSI High Priest

Thanks Vivas for that report. For those of us who didnt see
the segment, I think your report was accurate enough for someone
to come to their own conclusion. good job
" The 2006 White Sox..... simply didn't have the hunger of the Twins or Tigers" - SunTimes columnist and SOX fan Richard Roeper
Old 03-04-2005, 08:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

As much as I hate seeing 5-7 minutes or Cubs coverage...they kind of show at least 3-7 minutes of Sox coverage on Comcast Sportsnet...I don't wanna watch anything else.

Go Sox....OH YEAH!