White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2005, 05:30 PM
Banned

Default So I was arguing with a Cub fan today...

It was a girl by the name of Lauren. We were just assigned groups for a project due next Wednesday. Here is how the conversation went:

Lauren: People in this group can only wear Cub shirts, not Sox shirts (I was wearing one)
Me: Cubs suck
Lauren: Sox suck
Me: I bet I know more about the Cubs then you do and I am a Sox fan
Lauren: Uhhhhhh...
Lauren's Sister: I bet he is right
Me: Can you name one player that the Cubs gained or lost this offseason?
Lauren: How am I supposed to know?
Me: (shakes head)

I love using that line. It gets them every time. They know they know nothing about baseball or the Cubs so they give up arguing and get all red in the face. It has worked countless times.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

What grade is this? It's hard to tell, since cub fans usually regress to about the intelligence of a 4 year old when it comes to discussing baseball. Some guy came up to me at school a few days ago and said the white sox are [another word for happy]. Didn't even know who the hell the person was...
Old 03-02-2005, 05:36 PM
WSI Regular

geez...... how old are these people here 5?
Old 03-02-2005, 05:43 PM
Banned

It was a staff meeting at

Old 03-02-2005, 07:16 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowhead418
Me: Can you name one player that the Cubs gained or lost this offseason?
Lauren: How am I supposed to know?
Jeez, could not even name Scammy. It's not like there was minor coverage of it in the papers. This is bad.........................................

All hail The Rick
Old 03-02-2005, 07:30 PM
WSI Personality

You should have titled the thread, "So I was arguing with some girl that pretends to like the Cubs". She obviously isn't a Cub fan.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Looking at the age, he's probably a freshman in high school. Cub fan intelligence was even worse when I was in grade school. High school was mostly Sox fans, so I never had that problem...
________
BUY HERBALAIRE
Old 03-02-2005, 08:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662
Looking at the age, he's probably a freshman in high school. Cub fan intelligence was even worse when I was in grade school. High school was mostly Sox fans, so I never had that problem...
Yeah, I was fortunate enough to go to a high school with thousands of students and it was like 95% White Sox. There would be like two Cubs fan in your class and they would get torn up every day. It was awesome.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662
Yes, you are correct. I am a freshman in high school. You were lucky, my grade is infested with Flubbie fans that have no clue. One fan even told me Patterson had 217 assists last year and that Kerry Wood was just as good as Randy Johnson . I have only found 1 fan that knows even the slightest bit of baseball. All of the Cub fans here do everything that the stereotype of them suggests. It's annoying to be surrounded by them but I have lots of fun shreading them apart in our arguments .
Old 03-03-2005, 08:30 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowhead418
Yes, you are correct. I am a freshman in high school. You were lucky, my grade is infested with Flubbie fans that have no clue. One fan even told me Patterson had 217 assists last year and that Kerry Wood was just as good as Randy Johnson . I have only found 1 fan that knows even the slightest bit of baseball. All of the Cub fans here do everything that the stereotype of them suggests. It's annoying to be surrounded by them but I have lots of fun shreading them apart in our arguments .
That's how it was in grade school. Trying to find someone who actually knew the Cubs was hard to come by. '89 was probably the worst. Thanfully, '90 was much better, and they never said much... Also, I remember one girl actually asking when when was the last time the Sox went to the series. She laughed when I answered, then of course, she didn't know the last time the Cubs were there. She shut up shortly after I told her the answer. Making people look stupid is quite fun, actually. My high school was mostly Sox fans, and I was there in the early 90s. Very few Cubbie blue was displayed... To be honost, I haven't had any close Cub fans until recently, and he actually knows his baseball. No Cubbie Kool-Aid for him.
________
Granny fat
Old 03-03-2005, 08:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

That sounds about right for high school, I have found as life progresses you will find a slightly higher percentage of good Cub fans (is there such a thing?). Most of my mothers side of my family are die hard cub fans, but I like to debate with them as they actually know what they are talking about and know as much about other teams as they do about the CUbs. The best are the much older members of the family whom I actually feel bad for a little bit when the Cubs do choke. They are the true ones who have lived and died with the team as we do with the Sox. And most though they hate him do recognize what a great player Frank is. A Cubs fan that can recognize the abilities of Frank and debate intelligently about baseball is okay in my book. Unfortunately it sounds like this girl will never prgress beyond being a Wrigley fan.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

The best man in my wedding (die hard Cubs fan). But he doesn't go to Wrigley and never will. He knows everything about them and always has. he knew this stuff ever since I knew him, starting in about 5th grade. He stumps me on a ton of baseball trivia also (which amazes me).

There are some people like that, but they don't go to Wrigley and they don't proclaim their Cub-love. Last I talked to him, last week...he was talking about the last time he bought Cubs gear - 10 years ago.

Go Sox....OH YEAH!
Old 03-03-2005, 01:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenway
It was a staff meeting at

LAUGHING MY BUTT OFF ..........heheheh heheh hhhhehehehee
nice one fenway.
" The 2006 White Sox..... simply didn't have the hunger of the Twins or Tigers" - SunTimes columnist and SOX fan Richard Roeper