White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2005, 08:28 PM
Everybody's All-American

Default Sox rebuff Ordonez's comments

I love Ozzie

Guillen: OF should worry about his $100M, own team
Old 02-27-2005, 08:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Hey dude...What's the score?
This is a non-issue, as it should be. It's over and done with, and Ozzie's the bigger man for ignoring the latest comments. No one on the sox wants to talk about it and it's not like we're attacking him. You can tell by his comments that he'd rather be here, but the money got in the way. We shouldn't hear about it anymore...Ozzie will make certain of that.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:42 PM
WSI High Priest

I'm glad that Ozzie is taking the high road with Crabblio. At every opportunity, Crabbs has taken the low road, yet Kenny and Ozzie have taken the high road when they could have chosen to take a much lower road. Kudos to the White Sox Organization on this matter.
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Old 02-27-2005, 08:46 PM
WSI Personality

Great comments by Ozzie. As I have said before, Magglio complaining so much to the media this last week just shows that he absolutely HATES the Tigers and having to play for them. He is pissed because KW told the press his knee condition. Ordonez knew his knee was ground beef, but I guess he thought GMs who would have otherwise signed him without a physical would now be cautious solely on the word of Williams. What a little b****. Bottom line is, he will continue to bitch and whine about the Sox, calling them names and coming out with such SHOCKING revelations as Reinsdorf doesn't want to win bad enough. He will rot in Detroit. He will make it through this year missing games, but in order for the contract to be void, he has to miss 25 games specifically due to the knee injury. Borass will hold Magglio away from Detroit's doctors and say he injured his bicep or some other BS. Since the team doctors cant look at him, they wont be able to void the contract. He will sit on the bench and occassionally DH for the next five years, all the while hating playing for that team, and wishing that he could go back in time and call off Willie Harris on that pop-up. I see him writing a Canseco type book about the Sox. Not about steroids, just about lies and BS about "he cheats on his wife, Kenny did this, Jerry did that."

Has anyone made that Queen Magglio tag yet with him wearing a tiara?

"This is our rival right here. Forget the other teams. I think it's going to come down to us and (the Indians)."
-Dmitri Young, 4/10/05
Old 02-27-2005, 08:56 PM
WSI High Priest

No offense, but on the whole Magglio issue I wish I had one of these:

Freddie, how are you getting guys out?

"throwing a bunch of bull****."
Old 02-27-2005, 09:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingBillini
Great comments by Ozzie. As I have said before, Magglio complaining so much to the media this last week just shows that he absolutely HATES the Tigers and having to play for them. He is pissed because KW told the press his knee condition. Ordonez knew his knee was ground beef, but I guess he thought GMs who would have otherwise signed him without a physical would now be cautious solely on the word of Williams. What a little b****. Bottom line is, he will continue to bitch and whine about the Sox, calling them names and coming out with such SHOCKING revelations as Reinsdorf doesn't want to win bad enough. He will rot in Detroit. He will make it through this year missing games, but in order for the contract to be void, he has to miss 25 games specifically due to the knee injury. Borass will hold Magglio away from Detroit's doctors and say he injured his bicep or some other BS. Since the team doctors cant look at him, they wont be able to void the contract. He will sit on the bench and occassionally DH for the next five years, all the while hating playing for that team, and wishing that he could go back in time and call off Willie Harris on that pop-up. I see him writing a Canseco type book about the Sox. Not about steroids, just about lies and BS about "he cheats on his wife, Kenny did this, Jerry did that."

Has anyone made that Queen Magglio tag yet with him wearing a tiara?
Do you have information that the team doctors won't be checking Maggs out during the season? It seems pretty hairbrained to not let the team doctors make the final decision.

"I've thought about opening a bottle of champagne and pouring it on my teammates' heads. I don't care about my stats, just as long as we win. That gets us closer to my goal." C. Politte
Old 02-27-2005, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
He will make it through this year missing games, but in order for the contract to be void, he has to miss 25 games specifically due to the knee injury. Borass will hold Magglio away from Detroit's doctors and say he injured his bicep or some other BS. Since the team doctors cant look at him, they wont be able to void the contract.
I don't disagree with your sentiments about Maggs, but Boras won't be able to keep the doctors away. What's Maggs going to do? Every time he sees doctors about, hobble into a bathroom stall and tell Pudge Rodriguez to get the syringe out of his ass and get the hell out so he can hide? I don't think the Tigers will keep writing $700,000 checks every two weeks for five years just on Boras's and Magg's word that it's not his knee.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:38 PM
Banned

Man, he's gonna get booed to hell when he plays here. Does he know that the fans know how to read? I just have this feeling that he thinks we will only think of the past and give him a standing O or something
Old 02-27-2005, 10:53 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubbiesuck13
Do you have information that the team doctors won't be checking Maggs out during the season? It seems pretty hairbrained to not let the team doctors make the final decision.
I agree, it would be hairbrained. However, we saw what Bor-ass did with the Sox. He refused to let their doctors examine him. Instead, he sent them medical records from doctors that were in his pocket. I think its pretty fair to say that Magglio will miss well over 25 games this year. Bor-ass is a conniving SOB, and you just know that he will find a way to make the contract stick. I dont know what would happen if he refused to let team doctors look at him, but Magglio wouldn't have signed onto that clause unless he knew Borass had outsmarted them. The biggest problem will be for the Tigers to show time was missed due to that specific past injury. Even if the same exact injury comes up again, he will claim its a brand new injury, unrelated to the one during 2004. The Tigers screwed themselves over with that contract, but they just had to gamble because nobody wants to play there. They took the risk, and paid much more than he deserved if when he was healthy. He is not close to Vlad Guerrero, he shouldn't make more money than Vlad.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
I agree, it would be hairbrained. However, we saw what Bor-ass did with the Sox. He refused to let their doctors examine him. Instead, he sent them medical records from doctors that were in his pocket. I think its pretty fair to say that Magglio will miss well over 25 games this year. Bor-ass is a conniving SOB, and you just know that he will find a way to make the contract stick. I dont know what would happen if he refused to let team doctors look at him, but Magglio wouldn't have signed onto that clause unless he knew Borass had outsmarted them. The biggest problem will be for the Tigers to show time was missed due to that specific past injury. Even if the same exact injury comes up again, he will claim its a brand new injury, unrelated to the one during 2004. The Tigers screwed themselves over with that contract, but they just had to gamble because nobody wants to play there. They took the risk, and paid much more than he deserved if when he was healthy. He is not close to Vlad Guerrero, he shouldn't make more money than Vlad.
and you know all this because you've seen the contract?
Old 02-27-2005, 11:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Ordonez claimed during the interview at Detroit's Spring Training in Lakeland, Fla., that the final decision to return with the White Sox was "not all about money," despite the team offering $60 million over five years, with further money deferred. He claimed to "not be happy with some of the things going on" and further criticized the team's move away from a power-based attack in a home field that seems suited for home run hitters.
So, Magglio's final decision to leave came after he had already gone? Not nearly as many of the offseason moves that changed the team's attack would have been possible had he still been around. Maybe he was still considering the Sox even after we declined to offer him arbitration, but the CLee trade set him over the edge.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:49 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by idseer
and you know all this because you've seen the contract?
Wow, someone's snippy because of another thread.

It was released throught the press that there is an out clause in the contract. That is common knowledge. It was reported that there is an out clause, but only after the first season. If he makes it through this year, the remainder of the five years in guaranteed. The Tigers can void the contract if Magglio misses at least 25 games specifically due to the knee injury he suffered in 2004. If you want to argue that Magglio is 100% healthy, that is one thing, but I doubt he is. I think he will miss well over 25 games this year. Magglio knows it, and so does Bor-ass. If you are questioning how I know, I guess its just an assumption based on the actions of Magglio and Borass over the past several months.

The question is, do you think Bor-ass would have negotiated this contract with the out clause if he knew that it would cost his up client up to $85mil? You should give Bor-ass more credit. He is an unscrupulous bastard, but he knows what he is doing.
What would be the reprocussions if Boras refused to let the Tigers examine Ordonez? I dont know, but it would be ugly. If the Sox couldn't force Magglio to see their doctors while he was under contract with them, how could the Tigers? They could try to void the contract, Bor-ass would sue them, it would all go to court, and they would most likely settle it for around $50mil. There is no way in hell Bora$$$ will let the Tigers walk away from that contract.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I think you are over the edge man.

1. Bor-ass could give out any records or have any doctor he wanted look at Mags in the off season because he wasn't under contract.

2. I don't know how it's fair to say he will miss ANY time seeing how he has exceeded even the Tigers' optomistic thoughts about him being ready for ST. He is participating in every drill so far. Naturally, it's not the same as playing everyday in July but it is better than ANYONE expected.

3. If the same injury comes back up again, there isn't a way in the world that even Bor-ass could turn it around into a different injury. Bor-ass is a lawyer. The Tigers' have lawyers as well so I doubt they would be so in awe of Bor-ass that they would overlook the tiny detail of having their doc look at Maggs.

4. You are right that Bor-ass is an SOB and Maggs is vastly overpaid. But I-Rod's contract was spelled out with safety clauses for everyone involved so Detroit has some history with injury risk players performing well under a safety contract.

All that said, I doubt he will have a year anywhere close to what he is used to and I am glad that he Sox did not pay what they did for his services.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
If the Sox couldn't force Magglio to see their doctors while he was under contract with them, how could the Tigers?
Magglio did see the Sox doc while under contract. They wanted to look at him again after the contract was up but before they had to decided to offer him arbitration or not. That was when Bor-ass refused them the courtesy.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:10 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubbiesuck13
I think you are over the edge man.

1. Bor-ass could give out any records or have any doctor he wanted look at Mags in the off season because he wasn't under contract.

2. I don't know how it's fair to say he will miss ANY time seeing how he has exceeded even the Tigers' optomistic thoughts about him being ready for ST. He is participating in every drill so far. Naturally, it's not the same as playing everyday in July but it is better than ANYONE expected.

3. If the same injury comes back up again, there isn't a way in the world that even Bor-ass could turn it around into a different injury. Bor-ass is a lawyer. The Tigers' have lawyers as well so I doubt they would be so in awe of Bor-ass that they would overlook the tiny detail of having their doc look at Maggs.
1. While he was still under contract, the White Sox wanted to look at Ordonez's knee. He refused to let them look at it until he had a contract offer first. He then had "medical records" sent the them from one of Boras' doctors. Apparently, the Sox couldn't force Magglio to let their doctors examine him. Williams indicated that they tried. That was while he was still under contract, before they decided not to offer arbitration. How would that be any different with the Tigers?

2. I dont know that it's fair to say he exceeded anyone's expectations. Remember, he was going to have this publicized workout right after the arbitration deadline. The it was postponed. Then HE WAS SO HEALTHY THAT THERE WAS NO LONGER A NEED FOR ONE! Yes, Boras actually said that. Soon afterwards, it might have been when he signed, Magglio admitted that he still wasnt 100%, but he would be ready for spring training. Furthermore, I dont know how impressive he has been. All he did so far was taking batting practice. He hasn't been sprinting, running bases, or playing defense. Nothing that invloves taking sharp turns or cutting on that knee.

3. I dont know that Boras couldnt or couldn't prove the injury was a reoccurance. Magglio may be able to play through pain. It is common that while playing with an injury, one overcompensates and injures something else. He might very well play through pain and hurt his ankle, mess up the other leg, or get a nasty hammy strain. Those injuries could be caused by the original one, but completely separate injuries. Borass will argue that. No matter what strategy he uses, there is no way he would let this contract get voided. Even if Magglio tells Borass that he is healthy and will accept that clause, Borass cant trust him. He has to make sure that he can find a way to ensure the entire contract pays out. Precautions were taken. Boras wont let the contract be voided under any circumstances.