White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2005, 10:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Wrigley Blues

Did anyone see the story in the Feb 28 SI about the book Wrigley Blue? It's your basic Cubs fan hand-wringer, but the review hilarious. This Cubs fan is so sure they were going to win the WS last year he sets out to follow their every move and chronicle it into a book. He's going to make a killing selling it to Cubs fans. The working title is Armed and Dangerous. You know how it turns out. The book review chronicles the steady slide, starting from their 13-2 whooping by the mighty Pittsburgh Pirates in the home opener, through LaTroy Hawkins' implosion against the Cards in July and Farnsworth's gasoline job against the Astros in August, finally ending with Sammy Sosa's Day Off. Here's an excerpt:

"Somewhere in the span from April to October the title of my book changed from Armed and Dangerous to Wrigley Blues. Over those fateful months my pie-in-the-sky romp to the World Series morphed inot just another installment in baseball's longest oddest tale of woe."

I just may buy the book.

19 seasons, 9232 AB, 216 SO
Old 02-24-2005, 10:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' No. 2
Did anyone see the story in the Feb 28 SI about the book Wrigley Blue? It's your basic Cubs fan hand-wringer, but the review hilarious. This Cubs fan is so sure they were going to win the WS last year he sets out to follow their every move and chronicle it into a book. He's going to make a killing selling it to Cubs fans. The working title is Armed and Dangerous. You know how it turns out. The book review chronicles the steady slide, starting from their 13-2 whooping by the mighty Pittsburgh Pirates in the home opener, through LaTroy Hawkins' implosion against the Cards in July and Farnsworth's gasoline job against the Astros in August, finally ending with Sammy Sosa's Day Off. Here's an excerpt:

"Somewhere in the span from April to October the title of my book changed from Armed and Dangerous to Wrigley Blues. Over those fateful months my pie-in-the-sky romp to the World Series morphed inot just another installment in baseball's longest oddest tale of woe."

I just may buy the book.
I bet you can't guess what happens at the end!
Old 02-24-2005, 11:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' No. 2

As an English major and a fan of Friends' Chandeler..."Could he USE more cliches in that passage?"
Old 02-25-2005, 12:16 AM
WSI Personality

Seriously, would it make me a bad Sox fan to want to buy this?

"That was the plan no matter what. Because I had Kearns and 'MaTola,' whatever his name is, the first baseman, the fat guy, I don't know what ****ing name is - LaPorta - on the bench and I didn't want them to face Matt."
Old 02-25-2005, 01:55 AM
dcb33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HebrewHammer
Not at all. Even if you bought the book, it wouldn't make you a bad Sox fan. Think about it- what's the most this guy will make off the sale of one book- five or six bucks? Big deal. The infinite enjoyment you would get out of reading about and laughing at some pathetic Cubs fan's misery for actually believing his team had a chance to win would far outweigh the small monetary gain he would realize by selling you a book.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:34 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Come on, you're gonna buy a book about the Cubs? It could make you a bad fan if you don't own or have read any Sox books. That's not the case, is it?
Old 02-25-2005, 09:38 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Get it from the library!
Old 02-25-2005, 09:42 AM
WSI High Priest

There's an entire forum here at WSI where people can get their jollies over the Cubs' annual crash & burn. And it's free!
Old 02-25-2005, 03:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Save your money and buy one of Dan Helpingstine's White Sox books. "Through Hope and Despair" or "1959 and Beyond" I guarantee will be a far better read. You'll enjoy them way more and you won't be supporting a Sox fan and not some moronic Cub fan.

If you must read the Cub book for amusement, go to Borders and read exerpts from it there without buying it.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin