White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2005, 08:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Default Chicago NewsMedia Watch 2/23/05

The SOX are remarkably not that far behind in stories. However, reading
between the lines, one can see that the Chicago Media, feeling they may
have been exposed the last few years with their tripling and quadrupling of
stories devoted to the cubs, seem to giving the cubs MORE pictures and
actual column space. This is a tactic I didnt foresee, and we'll see
how this plays out this year.

The Cub Times today did give the SOX a color picture of Konerko! wow.
Neither paper has decided to post a THOMAS WATCH (like last years Prior Watch: "Today, Messiah ate grapefruit and toast, and did 25 pushups") yet.
Still Waiting. Nomar is beginning to feel the Chicago Medias full court
pressure to ACCEPT their nomination of him as the "New Face of the cubs".

Cubune:
3 cub stories (1 fluff about expansion)
2 sox stories
Cub-Times:
2 cub stories
2 sox stories

CUBS 27
SOX 24
" The 2006 White Sox..... simply didn't have the hunger of the Twins or Tigers" - SunTimes columnist and SOX fan Richard Roeper
Old 02-23-2005, 09:34 AM
WSI Regular

Looks like the number of actual stories will not tell the whole bias story. Probably have to do what advertizers do and measure column inches. Treat all Sox and flub stories as advertizements. Get the going rate of for space in each publication, multiply by the column inches and at the end of the season we could ascertain how much free advertizing each team got. Pictures or words count the same.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

On Fox thing in the Morning, Bruce Wolf was interviewing some dumb Scrub fans in line just for braclets for tickets that go on sale on Friday. Also they are having a story tonight on how you can get Scrub tickets easier.

Im surprised they are not going to be broadcasting life from Wrigley on Friday morning when the "precious" Scrub tickets go on sale.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan78
On Fox thing in the Morning, Bruce Wolf was interviewing some dumb Scrub fans in line just for braclets for tickets that go on sale on Friday. Also they are having a story tonight on how you can get Scrub tickets easier.

Im surprised they are not going to be broadcasting life from Wrigley on Friday morning when the "precious" Scrub tickets go on sale.
don't kid yourself....all the local stations will have HUGE live coverage at the urinal on friday.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:30 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne030
don't kid yourself....all the local stations will have HUGE live coverage at the urinal on friday.
I was pleasently surprised to have any coverage the day Sox tickets went on sale, but there was a sufficient amount for what it was. I think the media just enjoys watching the lemmings have to jump through hoops of flames to buy these tickets at highway robbery prices.

Old 02-23-2005, 12:06 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne030
The worst was last years' opening day coverage. The score set up a live broadcast from the Addison stop. I almost threw up in my mouth.

It wouldn't surprise me if we see a "Ticket Watch" or something equally stupid. Maybe they'll have "Bobbing for tickets." With ScRubs tickets in sandwich baggies inside a giant vat of Bartman sauce and let the dirty yuppies dunk their faces into the vat to win tickets.

"That was the plan no matter what. Because I had Kearns and 'MaTola,' whatever his name is, the first baseman, the fat guy, I don't know what ****ing name is - LaPorta - on the bench and I didn't want them to face Matt."
Old 02-23-2005, 12:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HebrewHammer
It wouldn't surprise me if we see a "Ticket Watch" or something equally stupid. Maybe they'll have "Bobbing for tickets." With ScRubs tickets in sandwich baggies inside a giant vat of Bartman sauce and let the dirty yuppies dunk their faces into the vat to win tickets.
You're right, and they'd probably do it.....and if they did it we would have ammo to goof on them with more years to come. I don't have any problems with stations covering that, because they cover stupidity more than anything. The more they cover the lemmings collective leap over the financial cliff that is the Cubs ticket office, the better I think it makes us look