White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2005, 11:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Queen Magglio Just Will Not Shut-Up

The Queen continues to take shots at our Sox...

The Queen is Not Satisfied

Quote:
Even though Ordonez had rejected the team's early efforts to sign him to a long-term contract extension, he was shocked at reports general manager Ken Williams had reached a deal to send him to Boston, contingent on the Red Sox's acquisition of Rodriguez. Like Garciaparra, it appears he never got off the feeling of being unwanted.

"I don't understand why you get somebody from outside the organization and give him money, and you don't do that for somebody who has been in your organization," Ordonez said.

Ordonez admits he "lost his love" for baseball while fretting about the business side.

If the White Sox simply did not want to pay him (or anybody else) more than $14 million a season—which was his salary in '04—then he believes they should have let fans know it. Instead they teased fans with the possibility of re-signing him, at least until the Sox became worried his knee problems could be career threatening.

Ordonez indicated none of the offers from White Sox Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf were as straightforward as the four-year extension he had signed before the 2001 season. That one contained little more than annual salaries; these were much more complex.

"I don't think Jerry is giving you a deal a player can take advantage of," Ordonez said. "In the deals they offered, a lot of it was deferred. I'm not going to say it wasn't enough … but 'we pay you in 2020?' What the heck is that?"

Ozzie manages, you watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarWestChicago View Post
Yeah, they won is spite of Greg Walker, Ozzie, KW, JR and everybody else associated with that team. It's either a friggin' miracle or they knew more about what they were doing than posters here. I guess I have to go with "friggin' miracle" since the posters here obviously make any professional baseball person look like a moron.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:47 PM
WSI High Priest

"I lost my love for baseball. Luckily, I was able to buy most of it back."
Old 02-23-2005, 12:00 AM
WSI Personality

What a whiney little biotch. I think this should let everyone know that Maggs HATES Detroit and didnt want to sign there. He is very pissed that he ended up with the Tigers. They were his only option for big money in free agency. He knew how badly injured he was, but he got angry when KW told the press about his condition. He felt that KW drove down his market value. He must feel that it was Kenny "driving down his value" that caused him to end up in Detroit.

If he was happy to be there, it was the place he really wanted to go, and he got the money he was looking for, WHY would he still be bitter about this "feud" with Williams? I don't feel sorry for Maggs. He will end up rotting in Detroit, sitting on the bench for the majority of his 5 years, with his contractual albatross bringing down the Tigers for five more years.

"This is our rival right here. Forget the other teams. I think it's going to come down to us and (the Indians)."
-Dmitri Young, 4/10/05
Old 02-23-2005, 12:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Jesus, please shut this guy the hell up! He's acting like a jillted girlfriend instead of laughing (with Bor-ass) all the way to the bank at the Tigers' expense. I'm so sick of hearing his b*tch-a** complain!
GO AWAY MAGG$!

"Gogh Gogh White Sox!"
Old 02-23-2005, 12:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

The fact that he is still talking about the Sox is a sign that they pissed him off pretty good. He made some good points and I can understand some of his frustration. However, Isn't it funny that he said "hopefully I can get one (World Series ring) in Detroit." He knows he will never get one in Detroit and if the Contract plays through he will be at the end of his career. No ring for Mags. Has anyone else noticed that the guys signing outrageous contracts have not won a rigng yet? Am I wrong on that?

"I've thought about opening a bottle of champagne and pouring it on my teammates' heads. I don't care about my stats, just as long as we win. That gets us closer to my goal." C. Politte
Old 02-23-2005, 12:10 AM
WSI Regular

I can't wait to boo him when the Tigers come to Chicago, if he's even healthy and playing the outfield. I just wish I were 21 so I could do it from the Bullpen Sports Bar. I think he'll be able to hear me from the right field seats though.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:32 AM
WSI High Priest

He keeps bringing up this "KW kept bad-mouthing me about my injury, driving my value down" crapola, as if no other GM entrusted with throwing $60-75M his way wouldn't be performing any due dilligence of their own. Naw, they'd just take KW's word for it and stay away.

Of course, with the Chicago media, Hendry gets a hearty pat on the back for avoiding a big-money risk while KW and the Sox get painted as cheapskates. You'd never know they were referring to the same FA if you didn't read the fine print.

SMO
Old 02-23-2005, 01:28 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered

"I lost my love for baseball. Luckily, I was able to buy most of it back."
If there's a Pay-Rod, then there HAS to be a MaggliDough.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosox1917
I can't wait to boo him when the Tigers come to Chicago, if he's even healthy and playing the outfield. I just wish I were 21 so I could do it from the Bullpen Sports Bar. I think he'll be able to hear me from the right field seats though.
Great idea! I think I might have to take you up on that idea. especially if I can get the special outside seats with the tables. Magglio, how I've begun to love to hate you and your greedy a$$
Old 02-23-2005, 01:42 AM
Banned

he complains of the JR incentives yet detroit can terminate his contract due to DL

If mags is this good and valuable how come the yankees didnt grab him or so, give him the "money he deserves"
Old 02-23-2005, 03:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
I hate to defend that the fact that the White Sox haven't retained some of their bigger names, but historically the white sox haven't really lost anyone that went on to "greener pastures" in their career after leaving the Sox. Players that quickly come to mind are the pitchers we lost in the White Flag deal. For a more recent example, the White Sox weren't able to re-sign Colon, who went on to the Angels and had a 5 ERA. Sure, that's only one season and he actually won quite a few games, which would've definitely benefited the white sox, but he didn't justify his huge salary with that type of performance. A huge salary such as Colon's or Ordonez's could absolutely strap the sox from making moves such as the Freddy Garcia deal. We had people complain about the financial burden known as Billy Koch, who was making $5-6 million a season if I remember correctly. I can only imagine if we got stuck with a $15 million dollar per yr Ordonez, that's nearly 20% of the ENTIRE payroll. I'm glad the White Sox decided to pass on that, only the truly elite players who lead your team to the world series should be making 20% of the entire team's payroll..

Ventura played for a couple of playoff teams after the Sox, as did Black Jack as did Faulk (Some say he was traded because he was going to want a big contract even though he 'lost' the closer role but that is debatable I guess). I am not mad that Mags left because we have a balanced team. I am mad that Jerry won't spend the money to keep one of the two best and most consistant OF while being able to fill the holes that he did. Mags or Lee would be a huge boost especially that Mags is participating in every drill that the rest of the Tigers are. It appears that he is healthy (for now) and will be a force. KW did the best that he could and I am happy with the team that he has fielded. Like I said before, I won't be booing him nor will I be cheering him. Once the season start I hope to be too busy watching the Sox win to be following Mags' season.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:50 AM
WSI Prelate

If you want to put your money in good players of good character, Ordonez seems to be proving he isn't worth that sort of investment. Most people, I'm sure, wish they had the opportunity to be paid millions of dollars after they retire at an age when people are working on their resumes because corporate mergers are forcing massive layoffs at the companies where they've worked for a dozen years and lost their mismanaged 401(k)s.

If Ordonez had some class, he would keep such complaints to himself.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog
If you want to put your money in good players of good character, Ordonez seems to be proving he isn't worth that sort of investment. Most people, I'm sure, wish they had the opportunity to be paid millions of dollars after they retire at an age when people are working on their resumes because corporate mergers are forcing massive layoffs at the companies where they've worked for a dozen years and lost their mismanaged 401(k)s.

If Ordonez had some class, he would keep such complaints to himself.

What suprises me about Mags is that he never was a problem when he was playing. He was the exact opposite of the other RF that played in Chicago. He never showboated he never complained he was quite and went about his job kicking butt. Truely sad that he has reduced to this. Part of the reason that I don't have any ill will is because he played the game the way it was supposed to be played. A breath of fresh air when ScaME was polluting Chicago. The other part is that the Sox are a better team than they were last year even without him.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

Default $$$$$$

Thought i'd remind everyone that Maggs agent all last year was NOT Boras! The love of the game was so important to him, that he turned down everything thrown his way all year until he could switch agents!!!!
GIVE ME A BREAK! I AM SO TIED OF HIS CRAP!
Old 02-23-2005, 05:25 AM
WSI Personality

With each passing day it is clear that the White Sox did the right thing by cutting ties with Magglio. He had a very good White Sox career, he is now a liability to a franchise, he will get injured again (and again), and the remainder of his career will be rather irrelevant. Finally, he will NOT kill us- I'm a little bit more concerned of overtaking the Twins than I am Magglio's bum knees trying to steer the Tigers to .500...

Old Comiskey (4-4), New Comiskey/US Cellular Field (12-10), Milwaukee County Stadium (4-2), Tiger Stadium (1-0), Camden Yards (7-6), PNC Park (1-1), Citizens Bank Park (0-2), Progressive Field (1-1), Tropicana Field (0-1), Old Yankee Stadium (0-1), New Yankee Stadium (0-1), Fenway Park (1-0), Nationals Park (1-0), Kaufmann Stadium (0-1), Comerica Park (0-2), Rangers Ballpark in Arlington (1-1)