White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2005, 09:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Default Les's outlook on the Cubs this season

Found this kind of funny on his website:

***The more I look at what the Cubs have right now in their Bullpen,and starting lineup,the more I'm getting close to picking them even lower than I did last year! Stay tuned.

If I remember correctly, he picked them third during Spring training last season...
________
Hotbox vaporizers
Old 02-23-2005, 12:11 AM
WSI Prelate

While Les is a Cub fan, he does not drink Cubbie Kool-Aid.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva Medias B's
While Les is a Cub fan, he does not drink Cubbie Kool-Aid.
He's the rare example of an intelligent Cubs fan.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:41 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662
Found this kind of funny on his website:

***The more I look at what the Cubs have right now in their Bullpen,and starting lineup,the more I'm getting close to picking them even lower than I did last year! Stay tuned.

If I remember correctly, he picked them third during Spring training last season...
I detect a pattern here with Les, pick your favorite team to finish poorly then you're either wrong because they did better or they finish where you said and you're right. Go low and either way you win!

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello

Last edited by DrCrawdad; 02-23-2005 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:50 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad
I detect a pattern here with Les, pick your favorite team to finish poorly then you're either wrong because they'll did better or they finish where you said and you're right. Go low and either way you win!
heheh hehehh heh heh. Good one Crawdad
" The 2006 White Sox..... simply didn't have the hunger of the Twins or Tigers" - SunTimes columnist and SOX fan Richard Roeper
Old 02-23-2005, 09:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangar18
heheh hehehh heh heh. Good one Crawdad
Thanks.

If I predicted the Sox to finish in 3rd last year, then they did better than I predicted. On the other hand, you'll note that some Cub fans regularly pick the Sox to do well, like last year they predicted the Cubs 3rd and the Sox 1st.

I expect the Sox to finish in first. I don't meant that as a prediction, that's just I want my team to do, finish in first and then win the World Series. Anything less than that is unsatisfactory to me. Having two straight years of a winning record doesn't cut with me.

Where do I predict the Sox to finish this season? Second. The Twins are the team until the Sox overtake them. Talk and promises mean little to me until the Sox actually overtake the Twins.

Where do I predict the Cubs to finish this season? Second. That said, I have not scrutinized the other NL Central teams. Going mainly by what I've heard about the Cardinals and Astros offseason moves, I still would give the edge to St. Louis. As with the Twins/Sox, I'd say the same for the Cards/Cubs.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:24 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni
ahh - an oxymoron!
Old 02-23-2005, 10:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni
I thought those went extinct with the Dodo.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:33 PM
WSI Guru

Dr:

Just for the record I think les picked the Sox to finish higher then the Cubs last season as well.

Lip
Old 02-23-2005, 01:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1
Dr:

Just for the record I think les picked the Sox to finish higher then the Cubs last season as well.

Lip
That's what I was getting at. It seems to be the pattern, pick the Cubs lower than nearly every prognosticator, pick the Sox higher than nearly every prognosticator. That way you're virtually guaranteed to be right and the team that you love does better than expected meanwhile you can gloat that the rival did worse than you predicted.

IIRC I asked Les what years the Cubs have done worse than he predicted. I don't remember getting an answer.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad
That's what I was getting at. It seems to be the pattern, pick the Cubs lower than nearly every prognosticator, pick the Sox higher than nearly every prognosticator. That way you're virtually guaranteed to be right and the team that you love does better than expected meanwhile you can gloat that the rival did worse than you predicted.

IIRC I asked Les what years the Cubs have done worse than he predicted. I don't remember getting an answer.
No surprise there. Then again Les may be like Gammons where he picks just about everybody to win the Series knowing that in the long run he can say he told us so.

Bob