White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2005, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Eric Duncan was not a part of the Randy Johnson trade and he's still a member of the Yankees farm system.
But we know that won't last long...Glenallen Hill is somewhere to be found.

Good to see no Cubs on the list, 'cause frankly they don't have any good prospects. Felix Pie was suppose to be their outfielder of the future has fallen off big time, and Angel Guzman their pitcher of the future is having arm troubles.... But then again who needs prospects when you're that good of a team anyway, I mean they have Todd Hollandsworth
Old 02-23-2005, 09:21 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
Man, how I love to hate that guy.
Let me run this by you guys. The Sox will not have a second round pick because of the El Duque signing and no supplemental first round pick either. If Drew and/or Weaver fail to sign with their respective teams and re-enter the draft next year, why not take one of these two guys in the first round if they fall to us at 15? Use the money you would otherwise spend on that second rounder and take the best player available. I'm not a big fan of Boras either, but Weaver will be good and is probably not far from being a major league pitcher right now (well, except for the fact that he needs to be signed by a major league team). Or a solid SS in Drew would be nice as well.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungo
Let me run this by you guys. The Sox will not have a second round pick because of the El Duque signing and no supplemental first round pick either. If Drew and/or Weaver fail to sign with their respective teams and re-enter the draft next year, why not take one of these two guys in the first round if they fall to us at 15? Use the money you would otherwise spend on that second rounder and take the best player available. I'm not a big fan of Boras either, but Weaver will be good and is probably not far from being a major league pitcher right now (well, except for the fact that he needs to be signed by a major league team). Or a solid SS in Drew would be nice as well.
It will depend on how much $$$ we're willing to give them. We might be a little gun shy of paying draftees big money after what happened with Borchard. When was the last time we drafted a Borass client anyway?
Old 02-23-2005, 10:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Anyone notice that the Twinks and their dominant system have the 43 & 46th guys on the list? I know Morneau probably doesn't qualify, but all those talking about how they're going to bring up 2-4 more studs and replace the guys they lost may be disappointed.

And yes, I know Cuddyer doesn't make the cut because he's been up, but I haven't exactly been impressed with his performance albiet in limited duty.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24
Anyone notice that the Twinks and their dominant system have the 43 & 46th guys on the list? I know Morneau probably doesn't qualify, but all those talking about how they're going to bring up 2-4 more studs and replace the guys they lost may be disappointed.

And yes, I know Cuddyer doesn't make the cut because he's been up, but I haven't exactly been impressed with his performance albiet in limited duty.
Don't get your hopes up, their farm system is still excellent. Like you said a lot of these guys had too many at bats/innings to qualify for the list. But really though, with Mauer, Crain, Durbin, Morneau, and Kubel all under the age of 24 is there really any doubt that they're going to be good for a long time?

Old 02-23-2005, 10:31 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
It will depend on how much $$$ we're willing to give them. We might be a little gun shy of paying draftees big money after what happened with Borchard. When was the last time we drafted a Borass client anyway?
Bobby Seay? And what do you know, he didn't sign. I still feel they need to go for broke with that first pick since they don't have a second rounder. Who knows, by the time the draft comes around, there may be guys that pass up Weaver and Drew as the best available.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Bobby Seay? And what do you know, he didn't sign. I still feel they need to go for broke with that first pick since they don't have a second rounder. Who knows, by the time the draft comes around, there may be guys that pass up Weaver and Drew as the best available.
You're forgetting about Bobby Hill, another Borass client who wouldn't sign with us 2 years after Seay.. But I see your point and it might be an intriguing option.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:22 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Actually, I also believe we lost our 3rd rounder as well. The 2nd rounder went to the Yanks and the 3rd rounder went to the A's?

Pierzynski and Hermanson were Type A, don't recall on El Duque or Dye...

IIRC I read that we will lose both 2nd and 3rd rounders due to this.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:23 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
You're forgetting about Bobby Hill, another Borass client who wouldn't sign with us 2 years after Seay.. But I see your point and it might be an intriguing option.
Jeff Weaver as well.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:24 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Jeff Weaver as well.
And people wonder why the Sox don't like dealing with him....
Old 02-23-2005, 11:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
Actually, I also believe we lost our 3rd rounder as well. The 2nd rounder went to the Yanks and the 3rd rounder went to the A's?

Pierzynski and Hermanson were Type A, don't recall on El Duque or Dye...

IIRC I read that we will lose both 2nd and 3rd rounders due to this.
I don't think so Randar. None of those guys were offered arbitration if I remember correctly. The second rounder is the only thing we're going to lose.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Did some research, the White Sox only lost their 2nd round pick for signing El Duque away from the Evil Empire.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Reed's placement on the list further demonstrates the organization's ability to draft young talent. The presence of two other KW guys on the list shows that we still have plenty of young talent left in the system.

BTW, Reed was traded for Garcia, not Alomar. For some reason, everybody seems to forget that Garcia is one of the most valuable players on the Sox.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice
Reed's placement on the list further demonstrates the organization's ability to draft young talent. The presence of two other KW guys on the list shows that we still have plenty of young talent left in the system.

BTW, Reed was traded for Garcia, not Alomar. For some reason, everybody seems to forget that Garcia is one of the most valuable players on the Sox.
Yes he is. As much as I would have LOVED to have Jeremy Reed on the team to step in for Maggs, Freddy is a great guy to have on a pitching staff. Olivo seems to me to kind of fallen out of the spotlight and I don't really know anything about Morse.

Yes, Reed will be missed tremendously. There is little doubt he will go on to be a very good player. But I'm pretty happy with Freddy.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:08 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
There are other things we can do with the money we save from not having a second rounder. For instance, we can take a flyer on a signability player in a later round as the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim did last year with Adenhart and Trumbo or we could make a splash in the international arena and go after the type of player that usually only signs with the Yankees or Braves. I think the last thing we should do is chase after Boras to give him our money.