White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2005, 05:44 PM
Banned

Default assuming the worst

sooner or later someone will say it ... so i'll jump in.
maybe those screws in franks ankle won't work. mabe he's done. hopefully i'm wrong and he'll just be a little late

but if so, does everyone still think we're set for the season? if not, who should we go out and try to add?
Old 02-18-2005, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by idseer
maybe those screws in franks ankle won't work. mabe he's done. hopefully i'm wrong and he'll just be a little late

but if so, does everyone still think we're set for the season? if not, who should we go out and try to add?
The Sox probably won't be able to make a deal right now. If Frank misses the entire season, their best chance to find a suitable replacement for him would be around the trading deadline. If the Marlins tank, Carlos Delgado might be available again, though I'm not sure if JR wants to inherit that huge contract of his. There's always Jason Giambi. He even plays the same position as Frank.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane
The Sox probably won't be able to make a deal right now. If Frank misses the entire season, their best chance to find a suitable replacement for him would be around the trading deadline. If the Marlins tank, Carlos Delgado might be available again, though I'm not sure if JR wants to inherit that huge contract of his. There's always Jason Giambi. He even plays the same position as Frank.
They probably wouldnt look for a replacement and would just try to go with Everett as the full time DH. Not the best idea, but getting anyone better would probably be too costly for the farm system
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Old 02-18-2005, 06:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRKARNO
They probably wouldnt look for a replacement and would just try to go with Everett as the full time DH. Not the best idea, but getting anyone better would probably be too costly for the farm system

i was thinking perhaps carl would work out for maybe the first half season and it'd be only depth we'd be lacking. by then maybe anderson would be ready for us so maybe there'd be no need to go shopping.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:

IMO if frank is out for a prolonged period of time, everett will step in and do a good job. I think this is gonna be a solid year for everett.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane
You really think the marlins are gonna tank? That team is pretty loaded. I wouldnt bet against them in the NL
Old 02-18-2005, 06:40 PM
WSI Regular

I think if Everett tanks then you'll see Gload quite a bit. If he can't get it done that the offense as a whole is struggling KW will make a deal. Can't win with rookies, need to have adults playing the game.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisoxfaninMinny
IMO if frank is out for a prolonged period of time, everett will step in and do a good job. I think this is gonna be a solid year for everett.
I agree. Everett isn't going to make you forget Frank Thomas, but he'll do a very good job.

19 seasons, 9232 AB, 216 SO
Old 02-18-2005, 10:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Lets hope that doesn't happen. But if it does...

You will probably see an Everett/Gload platoon. I don't think KW will be going after a big bat to replace Frank, especially since the team is trying to depend on the homerun less and less.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Carl has gotten the job done for use before, and I have no doubts that he can at least hit .270 with 20+ home runs and he is a lot faster than Frank. Plus, he lost 20 lbs. in the offseason so he could even play some outfield, but they would most likely use him at DH so he wouldn't get hurt. They could also with a combo of Gload at first and Konerko at DH. That worked for us at the end of the year and Gload ended up hitting .321. He also had a long hitting streak to end the season. I think it is still going.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:21 AM
WSI Regular

I really don't want to see Carl in the outfield again, unless it is a last option. He plays terrible CF, and I'm sure he wouldn't be much better in the corners. Having said that, he is a very good option to have.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:26 PM
WSI Personality

Everett looks good, he lost weight in the off season, and he's ready to play. Quit worrying about Frank. He hasn't done squat for this team for the last 3 years anyway.