White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2005, 10:00 PM
WSI Regular

What did he say? Did he compare Guzman and brandon? Did he give props?
Old 02-18-2005, 10:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailboss
What did he say? Did he compare Guzman and brandon? Did he give props?
IIRC Callis skimmed over a few of McCarthy's stats then said something about how McCarthy's stats are exceeding his "stuff" as McCarthy does not have a 96MPH fastball. Callis said that McCarthy is still very young but he wouldn't be surprised if McCarthy were brought up to MLB if the need arose.

Callis also said that the BoSox wanted McCarthy as part of the Ordonez for Nomar trade.

Oh, and I don't remember hearing Callis compare Guzman to McCarthy. I'm glad it didn't happen, as that would have meant 15 mins of boasting about the Cubbies farm system.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 02-19-2005, 07:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Murph really belongs on WGN radio. All Cub all the time.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' No. 2
Local radio. What's the over/under on how long it takes for Murphy to try to turn the discussion to the Cubs?
How long does it take him to say "So about the Cubs..."?
Old 02-19-2005, 10:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPChiSox729
How long does it take him to say "So about the Cubs..."?
Other than what Ol' #2 mentioned, Murphy was on good behaviour and did not turn it into a Cubbie discussion.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad
Other than what Ol' #2 mentioned, Murphy was on good behaviour and did not turn it into a Cubbie discussion.
Actually that was because the two men had had the same discussion on murph's show the previous night. It was designated Sox talk time.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad
IIRC Callis skimmed over a few of McCarthy's stats then said something about how McCarthy's stats are exceeding his "stuff" as McCarthy does not have a 96MPH fastball. Callis said that McCarthy is still very young but he wouldn't be surprised if McCarthy were brought up to MLB if the need arose.
McCarthy has also been addining velocity over the past 2 years, has a hard-to-find mentality perfectly suited for pitching, can throw 3 above average pitches for strikes in any count/situation, and has never been hurt...

Meanwhile, Guzman hasn't been healthy for 2 years and threw 96 mph with questionable mechanics...

Any half-ass scout worth their salt would be able to tell you that whatever velocity McCarthy pitches at will not matter. He has very good deception in his delivery, and he throws easy low-90's cheese, so it's not like he throws 88 mph!

Grrrrrrrrrr. I caught them on Cubbies night and just flipped the station. I like Callis, but a couple nights earlier Offman and Murph were talking about what Sox minor leaguers to look out for THIS YEAR, and despite the Sox having a plethora of experienced OF's, they both could only come up with Anderson and Sweeney. It would take a catastrophic turn of events to see either in Chicago before September call-ups, meanwhile, McCarthy as the starter-in-waiting likely at Charlotte, and El Duque being injury prone, etc, and no mention...

At that point I just rolled my eyes... Offman is in Arizona and can't come up with McCarthy?
Old 02-21-2005, 12:13 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68
McCarthy has also been addining velocity over the past 2 years, has a hard-to-find mentality perfectly suited for pitching, can throw 3 .
That, to me, is the most important thing about the analysis of McCarthy. Sure, you need ML "stuff." But that mental makeup is something a lot of Sox prospects have lacked in the past few years...the poster child being the highly talented but mental midget Joe Crede. You can also add Kip Wells to the mental mess category, b/c he had to leave town to start throwing high 90's...although that MAY have been Nardi's fault.

We shall see...

Freddie, how are you getting guys out?

"throwing a bunch of bull****."
Old 02-21-2005, 12:44 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxxoS
That, to me, is the most important thing about the analysis of McCarthy. Sure, you need ML "stuff." But that mental makeup is something a lot of Sox prospects have lacked in the past few years...the poster child being the highly talented but mental midget Joe Crede. You can also add Kip Wells to the mental mess category, b/c he had to leave town to start throwing high 90's...although that MAY have been Nardi's fault.

We shall see...
I don't see Crede that way. Not nearly as much as Kip and Garland. Crede is a ballplayer. Struggling and resisting change to something that's worked your whole life? Most major leaguer hitters are that way in their youth.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I don't see Crede that way. Not nearly as much as Kip and Garland. Crede is a ballplayer. Struggling and resisting change to something that's worked your whole life? Most major leaguer hitters are that way in their youth.
But at what point do you realize you shouldn't be so stubborn and maybe work on fixing it? His number have declined every year since 2003. I would think at some point you got to think "something isn't working here" and try to change it. He is trying to do it this offseason, we shall see if it works or not. I hope so, b/c Josh Fields ETA isn't until 2007, correct?
Old 02-21-2005, 04:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
But at what point do you realize you shouldn't be so stubborn and maybe work on fixing it? His number have declined every year since 2003. I would think at some point you got to think "something isn't working here" and try to change it. He is trying to do it this offseason, we shall see if it works or not. I hope so, b/c Josh Fields ETA isn't until 2007, correct?
This is Crede's last stand. If he is floundering at the break, I would not be surprised to see Kenny make a deal for a 3B. I think everyone involved recognizes the situation.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:37 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
This is Crede's last stand. If he is floundering at the break, I would not be surprised to see Kenny make a deal for a 3B. I think everyone involved recognizes the situation.
Right, but Fields ETA-2007?
Old 02-21-2005, 09:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Right, but Fields ETA-2007?
Depends on how he does, but 2006 isn't out of the question if he prgresses and Crede flounders...
Old 02-21-2005, 11:09 PM
WSI Regular

Default Chopped Liver

[QUOTE=Whitesox029]This guy says that if Reed were still here he'd be the opening day Center Fielder "no question." What is this supposed to mean? What is Podsednik, chopped liver? [QUOTE]

Yes, chopped liver is a pretty good description of Podsednik's minor and major league excepting one year, 2003.