White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-18-2005, 08:48 AM
Hangar18 Hangar18 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: South Side, Pilsen, CHICAGO
Posts: 11,041
Default Chicago NewsMedia Watch 2/18/05

The Cubs get more Gratuitious Pictures on the covers of BOTH papers today.
The CubTimes has a fullpage sized picture of Dusty Baker, while the Cubune
has the entire Top Half with a picture of some cubs running around (and wearing navy blue shirts, as if their colors were Navy & red. its Blue & red folks)
The Cubs are already leading in Gratuitious Photos 7-3 and in in front cover shots 6-0. The Cubune continues their Cubpoganda Assault by featuring
2 more CubFluff Pieces, one on the Spaghetti Ball Sauce, another on some old man dying, but putting "lifelong cub fan" in the headline. Totally Bogus.

Cubune: Cub Cover
3 Cub stories (2 cubfluff)
1 Sox story
Cub-Times: Cub Cover
2 Cub stories
2 Sox stories

SunTimes: 3 cub Covers 0 Sox Covers Cubune: 3 Cub Covers, 0 Sox covers

Standings since 2/16/05
CUBS 15 (4 fluff pieces)
SOX 10
__________________
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...&postid=343998
" The problem with someone printing Lies all the time, is eventually, people are going to start Believing it, if you don't rebut it " - Hawk Harrelson on what happens when you Ignore The Media
" Ignoring the Issues doesn't make them go away " - Score host Jason Goff
" The 2006 White Sox..... simply didn't have the hunger of the Twins or Tigers" - SunTimes columnist and SOX fan Richard Roeper
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-18-2005, 09:19 AM
DaveIsHere DaveIsHere is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Joliet,IL
Posts: 3,827
Default

And they pick up where they left offf, we should incorparate the Daily Southtown for giggle and see if they are truely the South Side paper
__________________

Sig professionally designed by WSI's own Michelle
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-18-2005, 10:19 AM
Maximo Maximo is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dowagiac,Michigan
Posts: 502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangar18
The Cubs get more Gratuitious Pictures on the covers of BOTH papers today.
The CubTimes has a fullpage sized picture of Dusty Baker, while the Cubune
has the entire Top Half with a picture of some cubs running around (and wearing navy blue shirts, as if their colors were Navy & red. its Blue & red folks)
The Cubs are already leading in Gratuitious Photos 7-3 and in in front cover shots 6-0. The Cubune continues their Cubpoganda Assault by featuring
2 more CubFluff Pieces, one on the Spaghetti Ball Sauce, another on some old man dying, but putting "lifelong cub fan" in the headline. Totally Bogus.

Cubune: Cub Cover
3 Cub stories (2 cubfluff)
1 Sox story
Cub-Times: Cub Cover
2 Cub stories
2 Sox stories

SunTimes: 3 cub Covers 0 Sox Covers Cubune: 3 Cub Covers, 0 Sox covers

Standings since 2/16/05
CUBS 15 (4 fluff pieces)
SOX 10
Okay Hangar.....after some serious thinking on the subject.....I'll take the Sox, plus 200 stories, to cover.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-18-2005, 10:54 AM
HebrewHammer HebrewHammer is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Daegu, South Korea
Posts: 1,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo
Okay Hangar.....after some serious thinking on the subject.....I'll take the Sox, plus 200 stories, to cover.
I'd still have to take the ScRubs, I think they were something like 300 stories ahead of the Sox last year when Hangar stopped counting. Their hype machine is unreal.
__________________

"That was the plan no matter what. Because I had Kearns and 'MaTola,' whatever his name is, the first baseman, the fat guy, I don't know what ****ing name is - LaPorta - on the bench and I didn't want them to face Matt."
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-18-2005, 11:17 AM
itsnotrequired itsnotrequired is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: new mexico!
Posts: 18,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangar18
another on some old man dying, but putting "lifelong cub fan" in the headline. Totally Bogus.
Agreed. People dying is a bummer and all but its not like this guy had some huge influence in the baseball world. The article doesn't elude to why this particular fan warrants his own story. No offense to the survivors but come on. News has to be pretty slow if these are the stories that are printed.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Ol' No. 2's Avatar
Ol' No. 2 Ol' No. 2 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bullpen Sports Bar
Posts: 11,663
Default

Man, they must have a keg of Kubbie Kool-Aide up in Tribune tower. How's this from Phil Rogers' column on "The best pitching duos in MLB".

Quote:
In Zambrano, Prior and Wood, the Cubs have the only trio of starters capable of winning 20 games apiece.
Send out for another keg. We've finished this one.
__________________

19 seasons, 9232 AB, 216 SO
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-18-2005, 01:05 PM
Risk Risk is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northwest Suburbs
Posts: 1,787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' No. 2
Man, they must have a keg of Kubbie Kool-Aide up in Tribune tower. How's this from Phil Rogers' column on "The best pitching duos in MLB".


Send out for another keg. We've finished this one.
Didn't the Cubune or some of their dolt fans say at the start of last year that they had .."the first rotation of 5 legitimate 20+ game winners..."

Sheer stupidity.

Risk
__________________
I had no intention of quitting anymore than pulling my eyelids off-Dave Mustaine, 2001

"Is minic a ghearr teanga duine a scornach"-(Celtic)
"it is often that a person's tongue cut his throat"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-18-2005, 01:08 PM
Ol' No. 2's Avatar
Ol' No. 2 Ol' No. 2 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bullpen Sports Bar
Posts: 11,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risk
Didn't the Cubune or some of their dolt fans say at the start of last year that they had .."the first rotation of 5 legitimate 20+ game winners..."

Sheer stupidity.

Risk
They must be really bummed. From five 20-game winners down to only three.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-18-2005, 02:19 PM
DMarte708 DMarte708 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangar18
SunTimes: 3 cub Covers 0 Sox Covers Cubune: 3 Cub Covers, 0 Sox covers
I belive you should look over this, because I recall Aaron Rowand featured on the Sun-Times' cover two days ago. Not that it will matter in the end, but atleast it'll start off closer.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-18-2005, 04:20 PM
fusillirob1983 fusillirob1983 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Evergreen Park, IL
Posts: 1,310
Default

It's pretty funny that between all the starters in the Cubs rotation, only one of them has a 20-win season, and he did it once, and he's the oldest one on their staff. Yet they have 3 possible 20-game winners. Makes sense.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-18-2005, 04:21 PM
Ol' No. 2's Avatar
Ol' No. 2 Ol' No. 2 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bullpen Sports Bar
Posts: 11,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983
It's pretty funny that between all the starters in the Cubs rotation, only one of them has a 20-win season, and he did it once, and he's the oldest one on their staff. Yet they have 3 possible 20-game winners. Makes sense.
Sure it does. You just need to drink more Kubbie Kool-Aide.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-18-2005, 04:31 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - South Loop
Posts: 2,862
Default

One thing I've also noticed on the Cubune online version is that they're always sure to list by name every Flub player listed in the spring training pictures even if they are in the background. In the Sox pictures there are quite a few where they only identify the more well known guys such as Buerhle, Garcia, Contreras, etc., while calling the people in the background "Sox players".

Guess we know who they want the readers to identify with...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-18-2005, 04:42 PM
robertks61 robertks61 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Shorewood, IL
Posts: 643
What's with the navy anyway? Are they trying to move closer to Black?
__________________
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...&stc=1&thumb=1 McCuddy's since 1910
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.