White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2005, 11:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Backup SS option -- Alex Cintron?

I think Kenny needs to look into trading for Alex Cintron of the Diamondbacks. He's a switch-hitter who can play SS, 2B, and 3B. He would be the perfect backup utility man for us. If Iguchi has a tough time adjusting to MLB pitching, Cintron could play 2B. If Crede slumps again, Cintron could play 3B. And of course, he could backup Uribe at SS.

The Diamondbacks don't appear to have much faith in Cintron so he could be on the trading block this spring. They just signed Royce "The Choice" Clayton to start at SS and also signed Craig Counsell to be their utility man. They also have Scott Hairston to start at 2B with Matt Kata as his backup.

How about a trade of Willie Harris and Jon Adkins for Alex Cintron?

Neal Cotts will most likely make the opening day roster at the expense of Jon Adkins. By adding a more flexible infielder in Cintron, we would be replacing Willie anyways. The Diamondbacks need a leadoff hitter and some speed off the bench. Willie could fill this role for them. Another arm in their bullpen wouldn't hurt either and Adkins could fill that role.

Our 25-man opening day roster would then look like this:

Rotation:
Buehrle
Garcia
El Duque
Contreras
Garland

Bullpen:
Cotts
Hermanson
Marte
Politte
Shingo
Vizcaino

Catchers:
Pierzynski
Davis

Infielders:
Cintron
Crede
Gload
Iguchi
Konerko
Uribe

Outfielders:
Dye
Everett
Perez
Podsednik
Rowand

Designated Hitter:
Frank

Last edited by Jabroni; 02-17-2005 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni
I think Kenny needs to look into trading for Alex Cintron of the Diamondbacks. He's a switch-hitter who can play SS, 2B, and 3B. He would be the perfect backup utility man for us. If Iguchi has a tough time adjusting to MLB pitching, Cintron could play 2B. If Crede slumps again, Cintron could play 3B. And of course, he could backup Uribe at SS.

The Diamondbacks don't appear to have much faith in Cintron so he could be on the trading block this spring. They just signed Royce "The Choice" Clayton to start at SS and also signed Craig Counsell to be their utility man. They also have Scott Hairston to start at 2B with Matt Kata as his backup.

How about a trade of Willie Harris and Jon Adkins for Alex Cintron?

Neal Cotts will most likely make the opening day roster at the expense of Jon Adkins. By adding a more flexible infielder in Cintron, we would be replacing Willie anyways. The Diamondbacks need a leadoff hitter and some speed off the bench. Willie could fill this role for them. Another arm in their bullpen wouldn't hurt either and Adkins could fill that role.

Our 25-man opening day roster would then look like this:

Rotation:
Buehrle
Garcia
El Duque
Contreras
Garland

Bullpen:
Cotts
Hermanson
Marte
Politte
Shingo
Vizcaino

Catchers:
Pierzynski
Davis

Infielders:
Cintron
Crede
Gload
Iguchi
Konerko
Uribe

Outfielders:
Dye
Everett
Perez
Podsednik
Rowand

Designated Hitter:
Frank
I'm looking at the D-backs roster and I see a lot of IF. Counsell and Hairston should split the time at 2B. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure Cintron would make the team, and I don't see that they have room for Harris. Plus, I'm not so sure they've given up on him as much as he needs more seasoning. Would be OK from the Sox perspective, but would the D-backs go for it?

19 seasons, 9232 AB, 216 SO
Old 02-16-2005, 11:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' No. 2
I'm looking at the D-backs roster and I see a lot of IF. Counsell and Hairston should split the time at 2B. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure Cintron would make the team, and I don't see that they have room for Harris. Plus, I'm not so sure they've given up on him as much as he needs more seasoning. Would be OK from the Sox perspective, but would the D-backs go for it?
The D-backs could use Willie as their backup CF'er as well. The reason Willie could interest them is because they don't have a true CF'er or leadoff hitter with any speed on their roster. They are starting Jose Cruz in CF and may eventually use him as their leadoff hitter. Willie could fill a part-time role as their leadoff hitter in CF. Adkins probably isn't going to make our opening day roster but would further entice Arizona to make the trade. If they don't have the extra roster spot for Adkins, they could send us a garbage player off of their 40-man roster.

Last edited by Jabroni; 02-16-2005 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:38 AM
WSI Personality

I like the way you think. If there is any way to get a reasonable deal, KW will make it.

"This is our rival right here. Forget the other teams. I think it's going to come down to us and (the Indians)."
-Dmitri Young, 4/10/05
Old 02-17-2005, 01:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Sorry....the only middle-IF Kenny will deal for is Roberto Alomar

Old 02-17-2005, 02:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

We basically need a backup utility man that can play SS and bats righty so we have someone off the bench who can face left-handed pitching, right? Well, Cintron is a switch-hitter so I was looking at his 3-year splits (which is pretty much his entire career). Here is what I found most appealing about him...

Alex Cintron (2002-2004 stats as a Right-Handed Batter)
315 At Bats
100 Hits
14 Doubles
6 Triples
.317 AVG
.364 OBP
.457 SLG
.821 OPS
6 HR
30 RBI

WOW! Now only 315 at bats may be a "small sample size" but I'd love to have Cintron as our backup utility infielder. He has shown that he can kill left-handed pitching and he can play SS, 2B, and 3B. He would be a huge asset to our team and alot more beneficial than Willie is right now. I hope Kenny is looking at this guy.

Last edited by Jabroni; 02-17-2005 at 03:04 AM.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:58 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan
Sorry....the only middle-IF Kenny will deal for is Roberto Alomar
Who else could we give up for him this time?

I like the thinking about Cintron. Good points.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
We basically need a backup utility man that can play SS and bats righty so we have someone off the bench who can face left-handed pitching, right? Well, Cintron is a switch-hitter so I was looking at his 3-year splits (which is pretty much his entire career). Here is what I found most appealing about him...

Alex Cintron (2002-2004 stats as a Right-Handed Batter)
315 At Bats
100 Hits
14 Doubles
6 Triples
.317 AVG
.364 OBP
.457 SLG
.821 OPS
6 HR
30 RBI

WOW! Now only 315 at bats may be a "small sample size" but I'd love to have Cintron as our backup utility infielder. He has shown that he can kill left-handed pitching and he can play SS, 2B, and 3B. He would be a huge asset to our team and alot more beneficial than Willie is right now. I hope Kenny is looking at this guy.
It's a good idea. I'm just not sure AZ is going to want to give up the guy. I think they see Cintron as their SS of the future and Clayton as just a fill-in while Cintron gets his legs. My guess is that nobody is going to do much until they get a chance to see what they've got in ST. A lot of deals go down the last week of ST. I'm sure Kenny has a list on his board of all the potential utility IF that he's interested in.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:02 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
My guess is that nobody is going to do much until they get a chance to see what they've got in ST. A lot of deals go down the last week of ST. I'm sure Kenny has a list on his board of all the potential utility IF that he's interested in.
Exactly. Any significant payroll slashing or adding is pretty much done by now, and the end of Spring Training is usually the time that these kind of swaps get done.

I'm almost positive that we will see Harris and Adkins in our camp, since we don't have to trim down to 25 for a good six weeks. Plus, Adkins still has an option left if Kenny is still holding out hope that Adkins can help us. I'm not positive on this, but I think that Harris has an option left, too.

I don't see either one of these guys on our Opening Day roster, but both will definitely be around for the good majority of Spring Training.

Jabroni might get his wish, but it probably won't be until the end of March.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
It's a good idea. I'm just not sure AZ is going to want to give up the guy. I think they see Cintron as their SS of the future and Clayton as just a fill-in while Cintron gets his legs. My guess is that nobody is going to do much until they get a chance to see what they've got in ST. A lot of deals go down the last week of ST. I'm sure Kenny has a list on his board of all the potential utility IF that he's interested in.
Everything I've read has said that the D-backs have soured on Cintron. They even moved him from SS to 2B at the end of last season. If they plan on using him as a 2nd baseman they don't really need him. They already have Scott Hairston and Matt Kata who can play 2B. It doesn't seem like Arizona views Cintron as their SS of the future.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Everything I've read has said that the D-backs have soured on Cintron. They even moved him from SS to 2B at the end of last season. If they plan on using him as a 2nd baseman they don't really need him. They already have Scott Hairston and Matt Kata who can play 2B. It doesn't seem like Arizona views Cintron as their SS of the future.
Well, they brought in Clayton, so it's clear they're not too high on Cintron for the near term. But do they still see him as the SS for 2006 and beyond? I just don't know. If he lights it up in ST he could change their minds. I guess anyone can be had for a price. But if they already have Hairston and Kata to play 2B, their IF is pretty full. They have Cruz and Terrero in CF. Would they want Harris for CF? He's not really that good of a CF. It's worth thinking about. I just don't know if Harris fits in with their needs that well.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Well, they brought in Clayton, so it's clear they're not too high on Cintron for the near term. But do they still see him as the SS for 2006 and beyond? I just don't know. If he lights it up in ST he could change their minds. I guess anyone can be had for a price. But if they already have Hairston and Kata to play 2B, their IF is pretty full. They have Cruz and Terrero in CF. Would they want Harris for CF? He's not really that good of a CF. It's worth thinking about. I just don't know if Harris fits in with their needs that well.
From what I've read about Cintron's defense is that he has a really strong arm that lets him play SS, 2B, and 3B but he doesn't have the greatest range. This is why the D-backs don't view him as their SS of the future.

As much of a bust as Borchard has been, if he has a decent camp maybe Arizona would want him in a package deal. Afterall, the D-backs' corner outfielders are pretty old. Luis Gonzalez is 37 and Shawn Green is 32. They could use a power-hitting outfielder to replace one of those guys. Of course, Borchard will have to show that he can hit over .200 in Spring Training.

Uhhh, wow. I just read this...

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diam...cksnb0217.html
Quote:
Melvin also indicated that he is leaning toward hitting Counsell, his starting second baseman, leadoff.
So Craig Counsell will be the D-Backs' starting 2nd baseman? Well, with Royce starting at SS they will have Scott Hairston, Matt Kata, AND Alex Cintron on the bench. If they need to start someone in place of Royce at SS they could move Counsell over there and play Hairston at 2B.

Last edited by Jabroni; 02-17-2005 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Since there will be absolutely no use for Timo on the Sox once Frank gets back, maybe we can package him in a trade for Cintron.

Willie is still young, cheap, fast, and plays well at 2B and can also play CF in an emergency. Timo costs a million bucks, is slow, older, and only plays outfield. We have enough outfielders already.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
From what I've read about Cintron's defense is that he has a really strong arm that lets him play SS, 2B, and 3B but he doesn't have the greatest range. This is why the D-backs don't view him as their SS of the future.

As much of a bust as Borchard has been, if he has a decent camp maybe Arizona would want him in a package deal. Afterall, the D-backs' corner outfielders are pretty old. Luis Gonzalez is 37 and Shawn Green is 32. They could use a power-hitting outfielder to replace one of those guys. Of course, Borchard will have to show that he can hit over .200 in Spring Training.

Uhhh, wow. I just read this...

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diam...cksnb0217.html
So Craig Counsell will be the D-Backs' starting 2nd baseman? Well, with Royce starting at SS they will have Scott Hairston, Matt Kata, AND Alex Cintron on the bench. If they need to start someone in place of Royce at SS they could move Counsell over there and play Hairston at 2B.
My guess is they'll be platooning these guys a lot. They obviously can't keep all those guys on the bench. Some will probably get sent back to AAA. Maybe they'll trade one of them for something else they need. But they sure don't need more IF. Unless they want Harris for CF (would you?), I can't see why they'd be interested in him.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Post Cintron

Id love to have this guy, but I dont think it will be at a very reasonable price.....I really liked Cintron 2 years ago when he just came up but he struggled last year, so maybe KW could pull something...

But, the more I think about it, I really like Dransfeldt or even Valdez, I think theyll be fine