White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2005, 08:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Canseco: Hey, does this crap make you want to buy my book?

http://www.suntimes.com/output/roepe...ws-roep14.html

No, not steroids; Frank is just apparently scared of driving fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Canseco
"I've never in my whole life seen a big guy look so scared. . . . He [Thomas] was just white, stone-cold white -- which is kind of unusual for a black man."
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 02-14-2005, 08:33 PM
WSI High Priest

I find it significant that Canseco apparently hasn't named any Sox players as steroid users in his book. It seems like he named players from every other team he's played for, except maybe the D'Rays.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice
I find it significant that Canseco apparently hasn't named any Sox players as steroid users in his book. It seems like he named players from every other team he's played for, except maybe the D'Rays.
He names 3 Devil Rays, I believe.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish
http://www.suntimes.com/output/roepe...ws-roep14.html

No, not steroids; Frank is just apparently scared of driving fast.
The title is a bit misleading in light of the current events, don't you think?
Old 02-14-2005, 09:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

I would be scared too if a roided out freak was driving that speed.

Ozzie manages, you watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarWestChicago View Post
Yeah, they won is spite of Greg Walker, Ozzie, KW, JR and everybody else associated with that team. It's either a friggin' miracle or they knew more about what they were doing than posters here. I guess I have to go with "friggin' miracle" since the posters here obviously make any professional baseball person look like a moron.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
According to Canseco, Baker was a legendary party animal before he became a father-figure manager; Giambi was a Hall of Fame womanizer; Thomas was scared senseless by a high-speed highway adventure; Grace was a proponent of sleeping with unattractive women to break hitting slumps, and McGwire regularly called reporters "******s."
Old 02-14-2005, 09:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

i just heard that on 780 AM. didnt they say "wouldnt anybody be scared driving that fast?"

Proud to be a WSIer
Old 02-14-2005, 10:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Wilson Alvarez? Now I've heard everything...
Old 02-14-2005, 10:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonetheLoaiza
Wilson Alvarez? Now I've heard everything...
Supposedly Alvarez always had weight problems and wanted to lose some so he "consulted" Canseco about it.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:23 PM
WSI High Priest

In my opinion the burden of proof is on Canseco and therefore I am going to assume that all of his allegations are false until proven otherwise, or in the case of Giambi if proof surfaces by other means. As far as I'm concerned he's just trying to sell a book by creating as much controversy as he possibly can. This would be more consistant with his character than as a "whistleblower looking to save baseball from the evils of steroids."
First Pennant in 46 years CHECK
First World Series in 88 years CHECK
Old 02-14-2005, 11:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRKARNO
In my opinion the burden of proof is on Canseco and therefore I am going to assume that all of his allegations are false until proven otherwise, or in the case of Giambi if proof surfaces by other means. As far as I'm concerned he's just trying to sell a book by creating as much controversy as he possibly can. This would be more consistant with his character than as a "whistleblower looking to save baseball from the evils of steroids."
I'm gonna go on the polar opposite end of that argument. I have no reason to doubt him and believe pretty much everything he says. People named in his book are guilty until proven innocent in my mind.

Old 02-14-2005, 11:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUsoxfan
I'm gonna go on the polar opposite end of that argument. I have no reason to doubt him and believe pretty much everything he says. People named in his book are guilty until proven innocent in my mind.
I agree. It is painfully obvious that this book was made for Canseco to make money, no question. The content in the book is all true, IMO. The one motive that no one really talks about as to why he wrote the book is the fact that although he took steroids for most of his career, he wasn't able to reach the stats that guys like Bonds and McGwire did. This made Canseco really jealous and it was another motivating factor for him, to highlight there use of steroids as a way to downplay anything they ever accomplished.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Under the circumstances, unless and until McGwire, Bonds, et al start filing slander and libel suits against Canseco, I'm gonna believe his side of the story. The weak denials from the accused seem half-hearted, as it seems that they just want the story to go away and fighting the charges will just keep them in the public eye longer.

SMO
Old 02-15-2005, 12:13 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillMissOzzie
Under the circumstances, unless and until McGwire, Bonds, et al start filing slander and libel suits against Canseco, I'm gonna believe his side of the story. The weak denials from the accused seem half-hearted, as it seems that they just want the story to go away and fighting the charges will just keep them in the public eye longer.

SMO
First of all, a libel case under these circumstances is unwinnable. The player would have to prove that:

A) Canseco was flat out lying. That couldn't be proved by the player's testimony or testimony of others saying "I never saw him take steroids." Since there are no tests that can tell if a player EVER used steroids, it is legally impossible to prove they were never used.

B) Libel also implies malice. It must be proved that Canseco lied about the players with the intent to hurt them and/or diminish their reputation.

Most importantly, if anyone did sue him, it would be the next "trial of the century". It would draw much much more attention to the situation than already has been. It's not worth it.

"This is our rival right here. Forget the other teams. I think it's going to come down to us and (the Indians)."
-Dmitri Young, 4/10/05
Old 02-15-2005, 12:32 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice
Except himself. I assume he was on the stuff while he was in a White Sox uniform for...two years was it? One and a half? He was a disappointment.