White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2005, 01:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

He played in todays game against the Diamondbacks. Went 0 for 2, but made a real nice catch in the outfield
Old 03-06-2005, 06:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr
I pitched against him in college. Owens was the best player I ever faced as a pitcher. I could not get the ball by him and he fell for nothing. He is a great gaps hitter and as far as speed, not many are faster than him. The year I face him was his first year back playing ball and I would never have guessed he stopped. A pure natural. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the majors this year as if nothing else, a pinch runner.

It's great to have first hand knowledge.......could you tell me if it was right hand or left hand and what college did you pitch for.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:54 AM
WSI Regular

Sox need from Owens same as they do from Willie and Spidale:

OBP
extra bases (steals or not) on the 'pads
defense
bunting
low salary
more OBP still

Forget about Slugging %.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:00 AM
New At WSI

Default Owens Facts

Owens has been timed down the line by ML Scouts, faster than Suzuki. He averages about 3.8 and has been timed as fast as 3.66.

He was the fastest receiver at UCLA at 4.46.

When talking about his arm or power, remember he missed his first year of rookie ball with shoulder surgery and probably had an injured shoulder in college. Last year was his first full year in the minors and he hit .292 with almost 20 doubles. AND 30 SB's.

Now he is 5/14 = .357 combined major and minor training camps and may be better than anyone thnks.This was a great trade for the Sox!
Old 03-28-2005, 07:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by threecyl
and may be better than anyone thnks.
If that's the case, then he's going to be a HELL of a player, because I like him a lot. Was very impressed by that trade by Kenny.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by threecyl
Owens has been timed down the line by ML Scouts, faster than Suzuki. He averages about 3.8 and has been timed as fast as 3.66.

He was the fastest receiver at UCLA at 4.46.

When talking about his arm or power, remember he missed his first year of rookie ball with shoulder surgery and probably had an injured shoulder in college. Last year was his first full year in the minors and he hit .292 with almost 20 doubles. AND 30 SB's.

Now he is 5/14 = .357 combined major and minor training camps and may be better than anyone thnks.This was a great trade for the Sox!
Firstly,

Secondly, I sure hope your right. If he is as good of a player as you are making him out to be, then Kenny just got a huge steal.