White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2005, 03:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Ordonez signing a colossal mistake...

"Ordonez signing a colossal mistake"
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3389078
Old 02-13-2005, 03:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Just read the article and I could not agree more.

Ozzie manages, you watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarWestChicago View Post
Yeah, they won is spite of Greg Walker, Ozzie, KW, JR and everybody else associated with that team. It's either a friggin' miracle or they knew more about what they were doing than posters here. I guess I have to go with "friggin' miracle" since the posters here obviously make any professional baseball person look like a moron.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

This article does bring up a lot of great points. Magglio getting more money that Vladimir Guerrero is absolutely absurd, and the Tigers don't exactly have a good track record with their previous signings ala Juan Gonzalez. Oh well, can't really blame the Tigers for trying to get out of the mode of mediocrity, but giving out contracts like this might not help a few years down the road. Ivan Rodriguez was great last season, but he still has 3 years left on his contract.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:32 PM
Banned

"The question now isn't whether this is the worst free agent contract of the winter; the question is whether this is the worst free-agent contract of all-time."

Ouch!
Old 02-13-2005, 03:42 PM
Banned

Detroit writer is concerned

http://www.freep.com/sports/tigers/rosey8e_20050208.htm

Magglio Ordonez is a Tiger, and amid the confetti and cheers, you can hear people worry that he will be injured.

Understandable.

But me, I would worry if he's healthy.

Look, anybody with soup for brains can see the potential benefits of signing Ordonez. He's an outstanding hitter, one of the best in baseball. The Tigers now have an outside chance to win their division this year. And if Ordonez's knee is still a mess, they lose only $12 million, and at this point in the winter, there is nowhere else to spend it.

We will talk all spring and perhaps through the summer about what Ordonez can do. For a city that has endured so much bad baseball, that's wonderful. But let's take a moment and acknowledge that this could turn into an absolute disaster.

Sorry. It has to be said.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Angry

Have fun hitting in a park where fly balls go to die.

You're dead to me, "Gagglio".Good riddance.Hope you fall
flat on your ass and fail.I'll be there to laugh in your face
when it happens.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70
Have fun hitting in a park where fly balls go to die.
You may find this hard to believe but Tim Wakefield gave up SIX in one game at Detroit in 2004

and he was the winning pitcher

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=240808106

recap
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=240808106
Old 02-13-2005, 04:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenway
You may find this hard to believe but Tim Wakefield gave up SIX in one game at Detroit in 2004

I also see that he gave up 7 runs with those 6 HR's, so at least 5 of them were solo shots. Gale force winds blowing out that day?

Back to Maggs and his mega-deal, who determines whether a player goes on the DL - the medical staff, the GM on the medical staff's say-so, or other?

SMO
Old 02-13-2005, 04:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
This article does bring up a lot of great points. Magglio getting more money that Vladimir Guerrero is absolutely absurd, and the Tigers don't exactly have a good track record with their previous signings ala Juan Gonzalez. Oh well, can't really blame the Tigers for trying to get out of the mode of mediocrity, but giving out contracts like this might not help a few years down the road. Ivan Rodriguez was great last season, but he still has 3 years left on his contract.
Typical Bora$ contract. He does his homework, but that's why everyone calls him Bora$. I said before that this would slow down their rebuilding if he's not healthy, but if he is, he will help this team a lot. Ivan Rodriguez was the second best free agent signing last year behind Vlad Guerrero and look at what he did, turned them from the league joke to a slightly below average team. Its obvious why KW would not negotiate with Bora$ clients this winter, he did not want huge contracts to stop him from building a well rounded team.
I don't know which one will cause Baseball's downfall, Alex Rodriguez's contract, or this winter and the crapload of ridiculous contracts.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenway

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=240808106

recap
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=240808106
I think Wakefield was starting for my fantasy team that day.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 02-13-2005, 08:14 PM
Banned

I don't know if this has been brought up, but he can't miss more than 25 games he's going to want to get in as many games as possible even if injured as mentioned in the article. Does anyone see the potential for a fight between Mags and the organization over playing time? If that team sucks next year and Mags even MIGHT be injured, there could be a fight to bench him to void the contract.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIgrenade
I don't know if this has been brought up, but he can't miss more than 25 games he's going to want to get in as many games as possible even if injured as mentioned in the article. Does anyone see the potential for a fight between Mags and the organization over playing time? If that team sucks next year and Mags even MIGHT be injured, there could be a fight to bench him to void the contract.
well he can only be on the DL for 25 games for the same injury he got last year, but if it is due to something else, he is welcome to the huge contract. At least that is how I understood it
Old 02-13-2005, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearso66
well he can only be on the DL for 25 games for the same injury he got last year, but if it is due to something else, he is welcome to the huge contract. At least that is how I understood it
Yeah, that's right. The problem is what happens if the knee starts acting up and he misses five or six games, the Tigers say they think he should go on the DL, but he says, "No, I'll be good to go tomorrow," etc., but before they know it, it's been 10 days and they've been playing with 24 guys? I'm not sure what the rule is, but I would think the team can just put him on the DL if they feel he needs to be there. However, if they put him on the DL for enough time to void the deal, Maggs and Boras would probably complain they did it only to void the deal, but I don't know what the procedure would be to challenge.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:13 PM
Banned

Yep, it is no wonder why ballplayers seek Scott Boras' counsel.

Ho-lee-### Detroit. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

If the Tigers attempt to put Maggs on the DL, you can be assured there will be a HUGE fight between Bora$ and the Tigers management. The guy is possessed to get every cent that he possibly can....