White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2005, 02:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Flubs looking to talk with A's about Octavio Dotel

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=MLB&id=6111
Quote:
Latest News Feb. 10, 2005 - 2:47 pm et

The Cubs are looking to talk with the A's about Octavio Dotel, the Chicago Sun-Times reports.
It will be easier to acquire a closer in July than before the start of the year, but the Cubs may figure they can't afford to wait that long. We don't see the A's parting with Dotel now, although any deal including Jason Dubois and either Felix Pie or Brian Dopirak would certainly have to be considered. Danys Baez could be easier for the Cubs to acquire, and while they haven't shown any interest so far, Ugueth Urbina could be an option if he looks good this spring.

Source: Chicago Sun-Times
Old 02-10-2005, 02:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Cubs system ain't what it used to be. Check this article detailing their top 10 prospects: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/fea...=MLB&column=14
On the highly touted Angel Guzman:
Quote:
It might be time to start getting pessimistic about Guzmanís chances. His comeback last season from a ďslightĒ tear in his labrum didnít go well, as he made just 11 starts. Itís not entirely certain that heíll be ready to go at the beginning of this year. With three above average pitches -- a sinking low-90s fastball, a curve and a changeup -- he could be a second or third starter if he gets healthy and stays that way. Thereís a chance that heíll be a factor before seasonís end.
Sounds awfully "Jon Rauch"-esque to me.

And for all those Hendry fans out there: I believe the only significant contributor to the big league club drafted by Hendry is....Mark Prior. What a great move by Jim snapping up that sleeper, huh?
Old 02-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Banned

Come on man, Hendry has been the biggest crook in the major leagues. By crook I'm referring to how many times he's stolen all-star talent from teams for nothing. Aramis Ramirez comes to mind. He makes good moves. He dumped Farnsworth and Sosa this year.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan76
Come on man, Hendry has been the biggest crook in the major leagues. By crook I'm referring to how many times he's stolen all-star talent from teams for nothing. Aramis Ramirez comes to mind. He makes good moves. He dumped Farnsworth and Sosa this year.
So you say that Hendry's a crook when it comes to stealing talent and then go on to say that he dumped Sosa and Farnsworth. So do you think Hendry is a good GM or a bad GM?
Old 02-10-2005, 03:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Post Hendry

Quote:
Couldnt agree more....Hendry uses that hefty budget to lull stars like Derek Lee and Aramis out of their small market towns and into the shrine...

This finally came to me when I heard all the rumors that Aubrey Huff was going to the Northside...It made me sick, and the lightbulb clicked on...

Hes finally dumping those cancers in that clubhouse, Alou, Farnsworth, and Sosa...But now with this Dotel situation, and Ive also heard Baez and Urbina, he's basically stealing top tier closers from teams that can afford to keep them around....

The Yankees buy their team, the Cubs steal....Yoink
Old 02-10-2005, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni
So you say that Hendry's a crook when it comes to stealing talent and then go on to say that he dumped Sosa and Farnsworth. So do you think Hendry is a good GM or a bad GM?
He shows flashes of brilliance, but also has plenty of faults. He hasn't really addressed the bullpen, and hasn't addressed the outfield. (Burnitz doesn't count)

3 out of his 4 infielders are below average fielders, but can hit the snot out of the ball. They are an all or nothing team with an average pitching staff. Sounds like a team that I knew the past few years.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisox003
Couldnt agree more....Hendry uses that hefty budget to lull stars like Derek Lee and Aramis out of their small market towns and into the shrine...

This finally came to me when I heard all the rumors that Aubrey Huff was going to the Northside...It made me sick, and the lightbulb clicked on...

Hes finally dumping those cancers in that clubhouse, Alou, Farnsworth, and Sosa...But now with this Dotel situation, and Ive also heard Baez and Urbina, he's basically stealing top tier closers from teams that can afford to keep them around....

The Yankees buy their team, the Cubs steal....Yoink
Since when are Dotel or Baez "top tier closers"? Dotel is a good setup man but he's not exactly a great closer. Baez isn't that special either.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Hendry's just leveraging the clout provided by the Trib budgets. He can absorb salary dumps by other teams. Not all that hard, but not many teams have the financial clout to do it. That doesn't make him a great GM in my book.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Banned

Just wait til July when somehow the Phillies are out of it and Hendry scores Billy Wagner for Remlinger.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXintheBURGH
Just wait til July when somehow the Phillies are out of it and Hendry scores Billy Wagner for Remlinger.
I could see the Flubs trading for Wagner at the deadling if the Phillies are out of it because Wagner will be a free agent after this season. Of course, it will cost the Flubs some good prospects.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni
Flubs looking to talk with A's about Octavio Dotel
Hey, wasn't he the villain in Spiderman 2?
Old 02-10-2005, 09:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Dotel can be a good closer, but didn't he have his share of problems last year, blowing some big saves for the Astros over a short period of time ? I say this because I remember him blowing a game against the Cubs at Minute Maid Park last year, I think in July, that the Astros should have had sewn up, and the sports media in several places (ESPN, FSN, local papers, etc.) was saying that he had been having some big problems lately. So, even IF the dopes of Wrigley do manage to get him, it still may not solve their bullpen situation.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

They can go ahead and get Dotel, he blew 9 saves, including the save that cost the A's the division on October 2.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:28 AM
WSI Personality

Default Baseball-Reference.com

Go to Dotel's stats page on Baseball-Reference.com and look who sponsors the player web page - pretty damn' funny.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/d/doteloc01.shtml